Home Metal Detecting

1792 half disme

mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you think one's best chances of finding one of these with a metal detector would be? I know...it's a snowball's chance in heck of finding one but I'm in the process of planning a detector outing to find this coin which I consider the holy grail of metal detecting.The 1792 half disme is shown on page 91 of 2021 Redbook.According to Redbook, many 1792 half dismes circulated.Total mintage-1500.
Of all the "proposed coinage" pieces shown on page 91,and the 1792 quarter shown on p92, the 1792 half disme is a coin that one could theoretically find in the dirt because of it's relatively high mintage and small size.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Comments

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest first you really know your very good detector. The signal in all likelihood will be iffy. Very small coin that will have been in the ground a long time. Then hit the Northeast coast of the original 13 colonies. Good luck!!!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First a very good MD...Then practice.... Then seek old colonial settlement areas (such as where I live) in the Northeast. Then be prepared for many, many hours of searching - and quite a few pop tops. Cheers, RickO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never found a half dime.My son has.He uses Minelab detector.My detector is a Technetics.It actually works better than the White's I used back in the day (1970's),in my opinion.Here in the heartland it's popular to hunt fields after the harvest.The fields are plowed so the coins can be found close to the surface.Also,a lost half dime would be less subject to damage from farm implements owing to it's small size.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck.