Home Precious Metals
Options

Fake proof silver eagles

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this one up at a thrift store from a guy who buys a lot of precious metals.

I called the guy and left a message, no response. Next time I was in his town I stopped showed it to him asking for my money back $25. He said "all sales final", no exceptions. Should I go over his head to the authorities on this? I tried to go to the local police in NH and they said they were tied up, but took my phone number, no response yet.

Comments

• Options

It was in a capsule, and did not look closely at it, I assumed it was legit based on the guy doing a lot with precious metals; he said he didn't know it was fake either. Actually a lot of people have been fooled by these. A dealer nearby said he bought a group on ebay and when testing them realized they were fake.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    I picked this one up at a thrift store from a guy who buys a lot of precious metals.

Did you mean to post that he sells a lot of precious metals? What a cheapass for not refunding your money. If it were me, I'd probably just chalk it up to paying for a lesson and move on. Oh, also a smelly bag of dog poop on his front step. B)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 9:45AM

Most thrift stores I have been to all post prominently All Sales Final. It is up to you to make the judgement call when you shop there.

Yes, I know that legally you should be able to get refunded on a counterfeit. But... it will likely take a lot of your time and spinning your wheels (as evidenced by the police not taking any action). Best to take the loss and move on... another lesson learned (I have plenty of those). JMO

----- kj
  • Options

The police never heard about the case, I just said I wanted to file a report about a local business. The state AG lets you file an online report which is what I did. Authenticity is one of the cardinal principles, no one should sell fakes as real ones.

I should have been suspicious, a dealer who he did a lot of business with is in jail on selling unlicensed guns.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

For $25 I would quickly refund for the bad feedback; bizarre.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that actually fooled somebody????? WAY BETTER fakes out there than that one.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take the $25 as a cheap learning lesson and be glad it wasn't $250. ;)

You should have looked at it a little closer.

The police won't be able to help you, all the seller needs to say is "that is not the coin I sold him, he traded it out."

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    It was in a capsule, and did not look closely at it, I assumed it was legit based on the guy doing a lot with precious metals; he said he didn't know it was fake either. Actually a lot of people have been fooled by these. A dealer nearby said he bought a group on ebay and when testing them realized they were fake.

How could anybody not know it is fake? There is no mint mark on the reverse of the coin!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Contact secret service, violation of federal law

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    TPGSTPGS Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

$25 for a proof silver eagle? You must have thought you found a stupid bullion dealer selling too cheap.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens ☹

• Options
    edited September 15, 2021 2:32PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Take the $25 as a cheap learning lesson and be glad it wasn't $250. ;)

You should have looked at it a little closer.

The police won't be able to help you, all the seller needs to say is "that is not the coin I sold him, he traded it out."

I disagree, we all have a responsibility to report fraud. I doubt the seller will deny the report with the state AG consumer affairs. Very easy to file and it would be an abdication of civic responsibility to not follow up on it. Next time the guy defrauds others of larger items, criminals always get bolder if they are successful.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness" and "thou shalt not steal" among many others are fundamental principles of society. The blow up high resolution scan is much different than these slugs in the capsules which have fooled many.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is an obvious fake.... even without the magnification. I suppose if one is not familiar with ASE's, it could be missed...but anyone who has looked at a few would see it as a fake immediately. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I doubt the seller will deny the report with the state AG consumer affairs."

Oh, you're right. Criminals never deny their actions. ;)
    Haven't you ever heard the old saying "the jails are full of innocent people."

If you think your local police or the State AG has time to worry about your little $25 purchase you need a wake up call. :D

Please make sure to update us when the AG gives him 5 years.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

We all pick our battles... good luck on yours.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2021 5:45PM

I purposely bought one on ebay (got refunded after the SNAD) just to have a known sample for my Sigma.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    I purposely bought one on ebay (got refunded after the SNAD) just to have a known sample for my Sigma.

Scamzma sez real. lulz!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to see what the sigma indicates

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2021 6:27PM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Scamzma sez real. lulz!

fortunately we don't need a Sigma for trolls. They are obvious where ever they go.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Hi, does it work with sterling silver flatware ect...?

• Options

@USASoccer said:

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Hi, does it work with sterling silver flatware ect...?

never tried it

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2021 5:57AM

@logger7 said:
    The police never heard about the case, I just said I wanted to file a report about a local business. The state AG lets you file an online report which is what I did. Authenticity is one of the cardinal principles, no one should sell fakes as real ones.

I should have been suspicious, a dealer who he did a lot of business with is in jail on selling unlicensed guns.

You should have the basic testing materials for buying PM's.
    Even the cheap silver at a flee market OF all places.
    As for being suspicious because someone else did something else that doesn't change anything.
    Do your do diligence.
    Now you have a sample for your testors collection.
    I'm courious, does it react to a magnet?

• Options

A gold buyer used his magnet on it and it responded like it had eyes for it. He said he bought a bunch of them on ebay and ended up throwing them away.

To tell you the truth I did not inspect it initially, my fault for not doing that.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't this cast doubt on the Sigma ? Who makes 99.9% pure fake proof ASEs?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Doesn't this cast doubt on the Sigma ? Who makes 99.9% pure fake proof ASEs?

Sigma did it's job with the fake ASE proof.

"Silver-99.9% Pure" is the user setting that the sigma is verifying. In this case an ASE.

A mark inside the brackets is a positive confirmation. The arrow outside the bars indicates "not silver 99.9% pure."

Remember, Sigmas do not identify metal content. They verify it after you set it for the metal you want to test.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that technology. Thinking seriously about setting up my own testing lab for various organic & inorganic tests. ;)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.