Home Sports Talk

Urban Meyer throwing tantrums

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their have been stories of outbursts, temper tantrums, anger, and frustration as the Jags lose to the Texans.

NFL world blasts Urban Meyer for his catastrophic head-coaching debut with Jaguars

The Jacksonville Jaguars may have a franchise quarterback in Trevor Lawrence, but their new head coach, Urban Meyer, might soon wear out his welcome.

Heading into Week 1, Meyer’s Jaguars were favorites on the road against the Houston Texans, but they failed to live up to that billing and then some. It’s quite obvious, based on their transactions, that the Texans are trying to tank in 2021. That didn’t stop Jacksonville from getting crushed by a score of 37-21.

What was a buzz-worthy hire of a college legend in Meyer might suddenly be blowing up in the Jaguars organization’s face. Whether it’s misguided public remarks, alleged temper tantrums behind the scenes or just a general failure to field a prepared, competent-looking team, Meyer has looked completely in over his head in the NFL.

Those temper issues from Meyer? Check out this passage from a report that dropped Sunday by CBSSports.com’s Jason La Canfora:

“There have been repeated issues with other coaches on staff, with Meyer’s temper and lack of familiarity with the ebbs and flows of the NFL calendar rubbing the Jacksonville Jaguars staff and players the wrong way, the sources said. There is a disconnect at times between the members of the staff with extensive pro experience and those who lack it, and morale has suffered as the outbursts have continued. His fiery remarks to players and coaches after games have already struck many as bizarre.”

So yeah, even before Sunday’s game kicked off, Meyer was already behind the eight-ball a little bit. Everything that happened in Week 1 could lead to a potential one-and-done exit if the Jaguars keep trending this way.

Now, before we get into social media reactions to Meyer’s horrendous showing, bear in mind that reigning Coach of the Year Kevin Stefanski marched the Cleveland Browns out in Week 1 of 2020 and got waxed 38-6 by the Baltimore Ravens. Stefanski rallied Cleveland back and wound up being considered the best in his profession at year’s end.

The problem is, Meyer does not have the type of talent the Browns had to work with, and he looks nowhere near the type of composed leader who can pull Jacksonville out of a rut when things aren’t going well. If rumors as bad as the ones reported by La Canfora are already leaking out, imagine how ugly it’s going to get as the Jags keep losing.

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know enough about this situation specifically to guess if it will work, but I know that in general college coaches can struggle in the pros - particularly at first.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

College players are beholden to their coaches and professionals are not. At all.

Plus, this coach hasn’t tasted much failure. So inexperience plays a part, also.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your not in Kansas anymore Urban 🤷‍♂️

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL is definitely a different animal from college football and Urban is finding that out, he's getting roasted for yesterday's loss.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meyer’s Jaguars were favorites on the road against the Houston Texans.

this is hard to comprehend. I believe it was based on the performance of the Texans last season and the drama swirling around Watson, but I felt very confident in choosing Houston in our pool. the Jaguars are a really bad Team, they just don't have that much talent. it will take more than one game and one season to change things. if I was Urban Meyer I would be preparing the Team every week, certainly, but I would be assessing any strength and skill while having the scouts looking at any/all College players. once your as bad as they are it takes years to fight back and hold things together.

I think it's going to take some time, but they'll start to win games. At least the Jags were able to put up 21 points, unlike Aaron Rodgers and the Packers, who were only able to muster 3 pathetic points.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i was flipping back and forth between Hou-Jack & Ari-Tenn yesterday, so i caught a lot of Urban and Trevor's NFL debut

the Jaguars got trashed in every aspect of the game. hard to say how much improvement there will be now that week #1 is in the rearview mirror, but i didn't see a lot of raw talent out on the field wearing black, teal and gold

and say what you will about Tyrod Taylor, but one thing is virtually guaranteed when he's the starting quarterback for your team: rarely will the ball be turned over. he was very, very solid yesterday. kudos to him for balling out while in the midst of a firestorm

I bet Urban Meyer is missing his college days right now, oh the memories....

@doubledragon said:
    I bet Urban Meyer is missing his college days right now, oh the memories....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 3:25PM

Everyone ruled out the Tejans this year, and criticized hiring Caserio and when Coach Culley was announced everyone raked Caserio through the coals for not going with Bieniemy. But word on the street is the players love Culley and have bought in. I liked Tyrod when he played for Buffalo and was cautiously optimistic. Caserio went out and got alot of older retreads to fill holes and many of them (Ingram, Lindsay, Amendola) were great yesterday. So maybe Caserio really does know what he is doing and had something to do with Pats past success? I think the Tejans are going to finish better than 32nd as predicted by the pundits that is for sure.

As for Meyer? Lawrence looks like raw talent so once he learns the NFL game they really have something. But let's face it, Meyer invited Tebow to camp so he is not always rational and that might slow the Jags down for a while.....

Who needs Watson? Not us, trade that guy for as many 1's as possible. I never liked his sack total anyway and it will hold him back moving forward even if his personal ethics does not.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, SC is looking for a coach these days. Urbanski was always gushing how it was intriging for him.

Have a nice day
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

who names their kid after a pope anyway?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

college football is stupid as are all college sports(except women's volleyball obviously) the celebrity coach thing is funny . Coach should be a nobody they get paid less than most of the players they aren't super important in pro sports anyway.

At lower levels they teach how to play in the pros they mostly need to stay out of the way of the talent.

remember the whole was it Bill or Tom debate? how did that go?

To cross sports remember the celtics rick pitino phase? The college guys all tuck tail and scurry back to school , the real world is a scary place

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, it is foolish that the highest paid state employee in every state seems to be the division 1 football coach.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I recall, it didnt go so well for Saban when he coached the Dolphins.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of people would name their baby Urban?

@bronco2078 said:
    who names their kid after a pope anyway?

Bronco, I wouldn't have posted my comment if I had read your comment first. .....

Oh wow, just wow, Urban Meyer and the Jaguars are refusing to speak to the Denver media and the Denver press is ripping into them.

Denver sports reporters blast Jaguars for not making Urban Meyer available for interviews

If there is any NFL coach that reporters would want to speak to right now, it’s Urban Meyer. Between reports of “unhinged” behavior behind the scenes, Jacksonville’s disappointing performance against the Texans this weekend, and the presumption that he might have interest in the USC vacancy, media members are lining up for the chance to interview the first-year head coach.

Media members who cover the Denver Broncos are certainly interested as the Jaguars are this weekend’s opponent. However, Denver Post beat writer Ryan O’Halloran tweeted out Tuesday that Jacksonville has declined to make Meyer available to them this week via the usual conference call process.

The NFL recently changed the rules to make it optional for teams to make their coaches available to media for game-week calls. According to PFT, the change went into effect this season, reportedly because “they weren’t useful or properly utilized.” That seems like a strange reason given how much play the soundbites created during them get during the week.

O’Halloran noted in a Twitter exchange that while he was aware of the change, he considers it “rare” for such a request to be declined.

Scott Monserud, the Sports Editor at The Denver Post, called it a “bush move” for Meyer to avoid the call.

More Denver journalists jumped on the bandwagon as well.

Mike Klis, who covers the Broncos for 9News, and never one to mince words, also chimed in.

Into the fracas stepped Amy Palcic, whom you might remember from when the Texans fired her while various NFL reporters rushed to her defense. Palcic was hired by the Jaguars earlier this year to lead their PR and communications efforts and she claimed responsibility for Meyer’s lack of availability.

Palcic may or may not be right about the “majority of teams” doing this, but fans and media members are certainly accustomed to seeing NFL head coaches do conference calls and interviews during the week. And given the microscope that’s focusing on Meyer right now, anytime he breaks the perceived norm to avoid media contact is going to draw major attention.

Perhaps Meyer and the Jaguars got to avoid some direct questions they weren’t interested in answering, but whatever spotlight they were hoping to avoid is shining a bit brighter now. And the questions Urban might not have wanted to deal with today will certainly be asked by Sunday.

Oh my goodness, here is what a Denver reporter tweeted about Urban Meyer refusing to speak to the Denver media.

Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    This is a disgrace. Toughen up, Urban. This is the NFL.

Here is another tweet about the Urban Meyer refusing to speak to the Denver media scandal.

Scott Monserud
    @monserud
    Bush move by Urban Meyer and Jags not to have their coach on conference call with Denver media; but it's up to NFL to require such interaction so equally bush on its part.

Man, I can't wait to watch the Jaguars play this weekend, Urban is going to beat the crap out of them if they lose.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, another person who will not do press conferences.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:
    wow, another person who will not do press conferences.

Give him an ice cream cone. He might open up a bit.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Oh my goodness, here is what a Denver reporter tweeted about Urban Meyer refusing to speak to the Denver media.

Mike Klis
    @mikeklis
    This is a disgrace. Toughen up, Urban. This is the NFL.

"Disgrace" might be juuuuuuuuust a bit of exaggeration. Settle down, @mikeklis, you'll still be able to do your job.

One thing is for sure, Urban Meyer is making quite a splash in the NFL, he's been involved in temper tantrum scandals, USC scandals, refusing to speak to the Denver media scandals, heck I still remember when Urban Meyer helped Chris Jericho beat up that guy in AEW.