Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What’s going on?

Is this Edward VIII £5 the same as the highlight of Paramount collection or not?

MDC Monaco sale 8, lot 1050. Here’s a link too, although I’m not sure that it will work in this platform.

https://mdc.bidinside.com/en/lot/8146/douard-viii-20-janvier-au-11-dcembre-/

If yes, was it sold, or was it “sold”?

PS: I’m not that naive, there are dozens of other coins supposedly sold, at times at Numismatica Genevensis, at times at MDC or Palombo or other auction houses less than a 5 minute walk between them in Geneva, such as a Greek gold 1876 5 drs NGC MS68 ,supposedly sold at around $40K less than a year ago, included in this same sale and many many more that we see in less than 8 months after the first “sale” either in another Swiss auction house, or at HA.com.

But the Edward VIII £5 is kind of a scandal IMHO if what I think is happening, is indeed happening. What is really going on?

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was sold but the buyer has left numismatics (US/ancient/world). Other parts of the collection were in the Heritage ANA sale - I bought a few nice coins below their previous sale price so it was indeed unreserved.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2021 7:19AM

Edited to add: It looks like @SmEagle1795 was posting the answer as I was messing around with links :smiley:

Same cert number, photo on Heritage and in the French description in the Monaco sale. The bold is mine from the cut and paste.

"" douard VIII (20 janvier au 11 décembre 1936). Essai de 5 livres (5 pounds), Flan bruni (PROOF) 1937, Londres. NGC PF 67 ULTRA CAMEO (6066350-037). Av. EDWARDVS VIII D: G: BR: OMN: REX F: D: IND: IMP. Tête nue à gauche, signature HP. Rv. Saint Georges terrassant le dragon ; à l’exergue (date) et signature B.P. "

Vs. Heritage and you can see it in the photo. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-edward-viii-gold-proof-pattern-5-pounds-1937-pr67-ultra-cameo-ngc-/a/3096-30339.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

From Heritage:

Someone with favorable fee structures trying to flip it? Maybe has a buyer and wants a fatter sale record? Someone bought it and needs to free up cash? Coin didn't meet expectations? Something more sketchy?

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    It was sold but the buyer has left numismatics (US/ancient/world). Other parts of the collection were in the Heritage ANA sale - I bought a few nice coins below their previous sale price so it was indeed unreserved.

It seems that some members here have a lot of inside information.😉

Still, something unexpected must have happened, you don’t just spend $2.28 mil on one coin alone, just to resell it a few months later.

Thank you SmEagle for the quick and informative reply. Thank you too Cathy for your input.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3