Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1989 D Cent struck through grease?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what they think about this coin and what happened to it, and is it worth slabbing or just an interesting piece
Thanks

Comments

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

    There's more than grease going on due to the double impression.

    Will see what others say.

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It doesn't look legit. Just my opinion.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Might be a struck through late stage die cap

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's above my meager knowledge of error coins - will definitely be interesting to hear from the experts on this one!

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Ringgy... Welcome aboard.... Not sure exactly what that is... Perhaps @FredWeinberg or @ErrorsOnCoins will give some information on this one. Cheers, RickO

  • Options

    Thank you all, this is fun!

  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 17,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm going to go out on a limb before the big guns weigh in:

    Great find, struck through late stage die cap, might not be worth the slabbing costs but if it were mine I'd probably do it any way and keep it.

    If I'm wrong I'll delete all of the above. :D

  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ChrisH821 said:
    Might be a struck through late stage die cap

    This

  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I agree – struck through a late stage thinning and rotated die cap

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors for PCGS. A 50+ Year PNG Member.A full-time numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It is kinda neat! I don't know if it is worth slabbing or not.

    image
  • Options

    Thanks again everyone, I plan to post other finds that I have discovered, I never expect them to be worth much, so I will never be disappointed :)

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 40,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

    that one was a "true find"

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file