Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1951 Lincoln Penny - is this a split die cap error?

I am a new collector, and found this penny in a bag of loose change.

Best Answer

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Redcrossmom said:
    How would damage on the three edges be done where the head isn't in the damage? I know people are damaging coins on purpose, but how would this damage occur? The coins were in a bag since the 1960's or 1970's. My hubby collected, but never examined the wheat pennies. Thanks for your help.

The real question is, how could all that stuff happen as an error? And with an understanding of the minting process, it's clear that it can't.

Your coin has been cut and sliced while outside of the striking area, which is obvious due to the moved and raised metal.

Answers

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously?

Simply damaged.

Probably road rage

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it’s just a damaged cent.

• Options

How would damage on the three edges be done where the head isn't in the damage? I know people are damaging coins on purpose, but how would this damage occur? The coins were in a bag since the 1960's or 1970's. My hubby collected, but never examined the wheat pennies. Thanks for your help.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely Post Mint Damage (PMD).... Could have been done in several ways.... No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trash

• Options

@JBK said:

@Redcrossmom said:

The real question is, how could all that stuff happen as an error? And with an understanding of the minting process, it's clear that it can't.

Your coin has been cut and sliced while outside of the striking area, which is obvious due to the moved and raised metal.

JBK thank you so much for the detailed explanation and your for your kindness. You have guided me to learn more about the minting process itself, which I will do. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file