PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:37PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    edited September 6, 2021 2:03PM

I am sure the eye candy will be awesome. Value is not important just true rarities.

• Options
    edited September 6, 2021 4:54PM

No one has anything to share? Or is more keep it secret keep it safe attitude?

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

This is a counter stamped Canadian token. Struck by Thomas Church as catalogued by Bowman. The dies used for the stamps are relatively common, #6 + 24, but this is the only known example of this die combination on any host piece. They are also off center.

This is what the stamps should look like.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

Please add some information some of us have no idea why certain coins are rare.

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar Rare date for the 960 Reis series. Last time I looked there were two known at AU58 with only one finer.

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savoyspecial said:
    @KingOfMorganDollar Rare date for the 960 Reis series. Last time I looked there were two known at AU58 with only one finer.

I like it !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

WOW some true eye candy thanks for posting!!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    1932 Poland 10 Zlotych Proof (London)

Poland contracted with the London Mint to strike 6,000,000 of this iconic European silver crown in 1932 (in addition to the 3,100,000 pieces struck in Warsaw). London supposedly took it upon themselves to strike 100 proofs, of which only two are known.

>

The London Mint and their proofs again! I have found brief references to the mints of the time producing 'proofs of record' wherein they produced proofs destined to be shipped to other mints as a way to share their work. (NOT for the collector market so limited in numbers). Australia, and South Africa have been mentioned as trading partners. My posted Albanian proofs from the London Mint as well. Do you by any chance know of how the mintage was determined? I suspect it was a similar number for mine, with only 3 of each denomination being graded between NGC and PCGS.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork said:

The London Mint and their proofs again! I have found brief references to the mints of the time producing 'proofs of record' wherein they produced proofs destined to be shipped to other mints as a way to share their work. (NOT for the collector market so limited in numbers). Australia, and South Africa have been mentioned as trading partners. My posted Albanian proofs from the London Mint as well. Do you by any chance know of how the mintage was determined? I suspect it was a similar number for mine, with only 3 of each denomination being graded between NGC and PCGS.

I believe I saw the 100 mintage via NGC, though I can't recall for certain. However, this piece was from the collection of Henry V. Karolkiewicz in Triton IV (12-06-00). That catalog indicates "...probably no more than 3-5 pieces of each will ever be released from Royal Mint collections".

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I'm generally focusing on acquiring coins which have absolute rarity rather than conditional rarity (although I can't complain when both come in the same package!)

This aureus of Caracalla is the finest of three known:

This drachm of Clazomenae is unique and has one of the finest portraits on Greek coinage (also coming from the famous Kunstfreund and Pozzi collections):

This stater of Pantikapaion is one of 11 known, four available to private collectors, coming from the Jameson collection and the collection of Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich of Russia (particularly meaningful as the coin was minted in modern day Russia):

This diobol from Athens (only one other in private hands) was minted from a gold statue that was melted down to pay for a fleet to fight the Spartans.

Wowee !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not usually an ancients guy, but I'm familiar with a few issues and these selections are insane; the diobol was minted from gold obtained from the melted statues of Nike on the Acropolis to raise emergency funds to preserve Athens during the Peloponnesian War, one of the most influential conflicts in antiquity. It doesn't even seem like something that a private individual could hope to own.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2021 6:47PM

@Weiss said:

@Stork said:

I believe I saw the 100 mintage via NGC, though I can't recall for certain. However, this piece was from the collection of Henry V. Karolkiewicz in Triton IV (12-06-00). That catalog indicates "...probably no more than 3-5 pieces of each will ever be released from Royal Mint collections".

Well that is interesting! I just googled and found this: https://vcoins.com/en/stores/lac_numismatic_literature/277/product/stephens_k_triton_iv_the_extraordinary_collection_of_henry_v_karolkiewicz_session_3__4/1262618/Default.aspx

The part about being presented by Karl Stephens is interesting. Seeing as I bought the above proofs from him! I did it over the phone while driving on the interstate after a helpful forum member spotted them at (if I remember correctly) a NYINC. He was tempted but put me onto them. Needless to say I had no negotiating power (um, calling mid 200 mile drive as soon as I found out about them and it was a semi-descent hour, again if I'm remembering right).

In any case I recall Karl saying that he had sold them to a person in the (?)1990s, and was given them back to re-sell when the owner was dispersing. I need to go check my emails because I'm sure I asked him about the proofs which I'd forgotten.

Thanks for the info and jogging my memory! I need to find one of those catalogs to look at too (maybe a different volume, but I have a name and a date now).

edited to add: Ebay has come through. Catalog on the way :smiley: