Home Metal Detecting
Options

Flood damage mud was the right place to detect

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

We got 10+ inches of rain and there's rock and mud slides on both sides of the Delaware river. Stopped in at a circa. 1720 farm where I have permission. Raging waters came off a field, cut thru the front lawn and across a driveway taking 1-2' of the ground down to a treeline. Surprisingly not much trash but these 2 half reales were a great gift. The Santiago mm was an added treat even with a hole. Have a good holiday. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... Good work. Those are neat finds and examples of non-U.S. circulating coinage of the time. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks @ricko This old farm has got some potential. Previously I dug pewter British made knickers buckles and other 18th century goodies. I'm stoked. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2021 8:17AM

Great finds as usual for you researched areas @Namvet69 :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

We’re those two coins close together?

• Options

@pocketpiececommems not dug together but in the same large soil/mud flood mound. I was hoping for some large cents but ya never know. Rained all day today, maybe this weekend. Peace Roy

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69... Good luck in that flood mound. Used to go gold panning after a flood out west...could get lucky and find a glory hole, or just more gold dust....Floods would wash the banks of streams and possibly some nuggets. I had a buddy that did it all the time.... he had a gallon jug full of nuggets...was saving for his retirement. Lost track of him over the years... He had a small fortune at the time. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day before no till farming I couldn’t wait for a heavy rain to go arrowhead hunting in worked fields

• Options

Great anecdotes, yup I'm keeping my eyeballs peeled for arrow heads, a detecting friend just found a paleo axe head. Going back real soon. Peace Roy

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

DANG!! :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool find!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Back in the day before no till farming I couldn’t wait for a heavy rain to go arrowhead hunting in worked fields

A friend of mine has a field in Arkansas and did just that after a rain. He showed my 5 gallon buckets of arrow heads culled from it. He even found a hatchet head. It must have been a huge settlement that was there 1000’s years to find the amount he had. Amazing

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were they found in the water excavated ground (i.e., 1-2 feet deep at original soil depths before the flood) or in accumulations of silt?

Very nice finds. Seems like lots of Spanish silver circulating in the colonies were holed.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian in the silt pile where the water subsided. Not a lot of pockets back then, coins were strung on lanyards, sewn onto clothing, IMO. I've dug several holed reales. On the other hand, holed large cents seemed to be impromptu washers. Peace Roy

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it great finds I have to get out there myself have a few areas that are a few hundred years old in my area. But will most likely be Canadian coins and tokens (up here in Canada I doubt I will find anything else but who knows).

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Where is the date on the first coin?

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar pic on the right shows both dates, 1753 and 1806. Peace Roy

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    @KingOfMorganDollar pic on the right shows both dates, 1753 and 1806. Peace Roy

Well that was stupid of me thanks.