Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

California Fractionals

2»

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Most likely the charms or tokens without denominations were struck during period 3. The period 2 coins (1859-1882) had denominations while the period 3 coins (post 1882) with denominations were back dated to before 1882 so they wouldn't get in trouble with the anticounterfeiting laws.

If you examine enough CNDG and study their weight, you won’t make this period 3 statement. Many No denomination cal gold were from period 2 -)

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jcping said:

@PerryHall said:
    Most likely the charms or tokens without denominations were struck during period 3. The period 2 coins (1859-1882) had denominations while the period 3 coins (post 1882) with denominations were back dated to before 1882 so they wouldn't get in trouble with the anticounterfeiting laws.

If you examine enough CNDG and study their weight, you won’t make this period 3 statement. Many No denomination cal gold were from period 2 -)

They were likely produced during period 3 (post 1882) and back dated to before 1882 just as were the period 3 coins having denominations. Many were struck using the un-denominated dies left over from the period 2.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my wife's uncle's collection. Unfortunately we don't know the family history:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread... lots of history in the series with lots of potential pitfalls if you don't know what you're doing... I'll stay on the sideline and munch my popcorn... ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 10:09AM

NLH

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    @Weiss
    From my wife's uncle's collection. Unfortunately we don't know the _family _history:
    Possiby Robert B. Gray & Co., 1858-71
    BG765 R3
    "Obverse with 'broken nose;' cracked from coronet point to ear, from bun to throat. The guidelines joining bases of DOLLAR and of CAL normally would have been polished off before die went to press. Cracks, rim to wreath at 1:00 and 8:00. Usual brilliant Prooflike Uncirculated surfaces."

Yep, I'm a numismatist too ;)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file