Home Precious Metals

Silver 1 oz Aztec Calendar Bullion Piece Authenticity Question

SummerDays3104SummerDays3104 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2021 10:26AM in Precious Metals

I received this coin for my B-Day and I was scared that it my be a fake... turns out a lot of people received fakes but, when they tested it with a magnet, it stuck. Mine on the other hand didn't... I assume some people got real ones and others got fake ones... Any opinions would be greatly appreciated! Here are some pics and a link if you'd like to check it out...

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Calendar-Warrior-Emperor-Tenochtitlan/dp/B07M6VMSQC

Comments

• taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

Post pictures of the coin and see if people can tell if it is real from your picture. Other option is to take it into a coin store and ask them if it is real. Most have a machine that can tell you the composition of the coin.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I ever question the authenticity of bars or rounds, I would have them tested at a coin shop with an XRF.
    And BTW, amazon isn't the best place to buy coins. eBay and dealer websites like apmex will be cheaper.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, amazon is generally higher in price.

as far as authenticity, it appears the seller has posted actual photos from the manufacturer. go over every detail and make sure it matches and is not "mushy" in detail or has missing detail

counterfeiters are generally moving away from magnetic base metals.

perhaps a stay after school is warranted with a "closed mouth, don't ask don't tell" science teach that can keep secrets. (probably won't) you can do a specific gravity test, too.

however, taking it to a coin shop and getting them to hit it with an XRF gun would be easier and more discrete.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • rte592rte592 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 9:50PM

Welcome.
    You mentioned that it didn't stick to a magnet?
    How strong of a magnet did you use?
    The reason I ask is a larger neodymium magnet will be able to manipulate .999 fine silver.
    (With a strong magnet you can get a fine silver piece to move around on a smooth surface.)
    Just another testing device as you learn more about what you have.

It’s be unusual to have a neodymium magnet, are you sure it is one?

A neodymium magnet is different from a regular magnet.

It is also known as a rare earth magnet.

https://www.amazon.com/MIKEDE-40X20mm-Neodymium-Powerful-Permanent/dp/B095SDDZ92/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=7FO75PKIENP3&dchild=1&keywords=neodymium+magnet&qid=1630592664&sprefix=neo&sr=8-5

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SummerDays3104 said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    It’s be unusual to have a neodymium magnet, are you sure it is one?

A neodymium magnet is different from a regular magnet.

It is also known as a rare earth magnet.

https://www.amazon.com/MIKEDE-40X20mm-Neodymium-Powerful-Permanent/dp/B095SDDZ92/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?crid=7FO75PKIENP3&dchild=1&keywords=neodymium+magnet&qid=1630592664&sprefix=neo&sr=8-5

I honestly don't know 100% for sure... I just know it's a decently strong magnet... sorry :(

Most neodymium magnets are not black like refrigerator magnets. They will have a white shiny metal coating to them like in the like posted above.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine .... I have several neodymium magnets... not really scarce anymore... they even use them as firearm holders now (nice, large ones). Cheers, RickO

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fake to me. Thanks!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Heh

Blitzdude, they are using the same stock image the known bullion dealers are.

Actually, I think this place is the one who makes it

https://www.goldenstatemint.com/1-oz-Aztec-Calendar-Silver-Round-999-Fine.html

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm confused. The screenshot is of one Amazon seller, the link is to a different Amazon seller, and you think Grandma got it from Golden State Mint, which is the source. Which is it? If she got it directly from Golden State you're OK... but the Amazon guys often use Golden State's photo of a genuine in their listings and send you the Chinese fake.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • I would say if you got a coin shop near you take it in and get it tested. They might have a sygma metalytics machine or something else that can easily tell if its a fake.

Successful transactions with: AnonMan, Commoncents05, JJM, PerryHall, Danielp, greenwr, Along, Herb_T, Downtown1974, masscrew, coinnerd, liefgold, JWP, Relaxn, Pnies20, Weiss, Type2, dm679864, pointfivezero, and more!

• There are several ways to test at home.

1- I recommend measuring it with calipers (39 mm diameter) and weigh it (31.1 grams) if it's not silver it will not weigh the same assuming and be the same diameter.
    2- Also a rare earth magnet test.
    3- were did it ship from and price. If it came from China and too good to be true price. ... It's fake....
    4- try to scrape off the outer layer on the edge... If you see a bronze color or something it's fake.
    5- take it to a jewler or gold and silver or pawn shop.

Good luck