Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is this stuff on the Morgan

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at some MS Morgans on ebay, particularly at how good is the strike on eagle's breast.
This below coin is so covered with (?) something, that it is hard to see the breast feather details.
What is this, and is it at all surprising that it is straight-graded?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114931987461?hash=item1ac27af405:g:S4kAAOSwQp1hIVbR

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong but my gut says it’s been thumbed.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the photo. It could be chatter that broke the frostiness. O mint Morgans tend to have weaker breast feather details. See the arrow, it looks similar.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Hard to tell from the photo. It could be chatter that broke the frostiness. O mint Morgans tend to have weaker breast feather details. See the arrow, it looks similar.

The 'stuff' is everywhere. Looks damned ugly, to my way of thinking...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 4:05PM

@moursund chatter can be very distracting. Morgan dollars below 65 grade tend to have quite a lot.
    Edit AU and Mint state Morgans. lower grades have the chatter worn off and can have a very pleasing look in XF in my opinion

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s bag friction form rubbing against other silver dollars when being moved around in bags for the first 60 years of its life. Other than that it is an avg and unremarkable bag dollar in (slightly) better than avg survivor condition.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 4:36PM

Looks perfectly normal to me. There no foreign substance present.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is light toning

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That lighting doesn't help the coin at all. It could have a slightly hazy skin, it could have old dip residue. Light frost/white on the devices isn't necessarily a bad sign, and can be quite common. Long story short, I wouldn't buy the coin with those photos, and it's hard to really comment on the coin with those photos, too.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing I would even spend a minute worrying about and I have OCD.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

good to know. I need to look at a few thousand more Morgans, and maybe ask a few more questions, and get more excellent responses like those above. :smile:

am

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 6:01PM

@moursund said:

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

good to know. I need to look at a few thousand more Morgans, and maybe ask a few more questions, and get more excellent responses like those above. :smile:

am

If you need to see true close up images of the coins you are buying I suggest you buy at place like Heritage Auctions they know there are people like me with OCD. You know what you are getting and if not contact them they will help you.

Usually their images are more than enough to answer all your concerns. Ebay sellers can also have nice images but some just don't.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

The coin has some skin and the lighting angle makes it look dull. You can tell by photo 1, which is slightly yellowish.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks to be a normale New Orleans strike in 1904 for the weak breast detail - could it be some "haze" from a previous holder or flip before it was slabbed? Coin is dull and lifeless, not much eye appeal for a 64

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no 'stuff' on the features... it is high point rub, likely from other coins, that breaks the frost. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file