Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody around here collect gold nuggets?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have also purchased a very high end metal detector and probably would have dug the whole place up by now, if I owned land near the American river or similar locations nearby.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few that I've collected over the years. In my early gold buying days, I would buy tiny little nuggets on ebay, just to say I owned a little gold. Over the years I've accumulated a small vile of them. I've had the chance to pan for gold once, in Nashville Indiana. There was a guy doing it in a creek, and I asked if I could try a pan. I found two tiny specks on my first pan, and he couldn't believe it. I have those in a cardboard 2x2 flip now.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2021 4:19PM

.....I'm trying to figure out who the winner is. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. Got up at 3 a.m. and walked around in the dark. There was a Baby coyote in the back yard licking the lawn sprinkler....skinny and thristy.....I put out a bowl of water but he ran away.......I'm such a good guy!.....Anyway,...I'm thinking 3 winners. (?) My main problem now is shipping..... HOW DO I FIND A BOX TO ACCOMMODATE SUCH A HEAVY WEIGHT? 🤔

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

A neat thread about golden nuggets. I had to dig out my nuggets to share too.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    .....I'm trying to figure out who the winner is. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. Got up at 3 a.m. and walked around in the dark. There was a Baby coyote in the back yard licking the lawn sprinkler....skinny and thristy.....I put out a bowl of water but he ran away.......I'm such a good guy!.....Anyway,...I'm thinking 3 winners. (?) My main problem now is shipping..... HOW DO I FIND A BOX TO ACCOMMODATE SUCH A HEAVY WEIGHT? 🤔

Ah, I think I understand. You’re wanting to send some silt around for us to have fun with? :)

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

So will it be like getting "unsearched rolls" of coins? :)

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@Hydrant said:

Ah, I think I understand. You’re wanting to send some silt around for us to have fun with? :)

Maybe he should think outside the box. A couple of these bags might work. One of these would keep a guy busy for a couple days.

• Options

@Batman23 said:

@TurtleCat said:

@Hydrant said:

Maybe he should think outside the box. A couple of these bags might work. One of these would keep a guy busy for a couple days.

Or weeks in my case! I wonder how much that would cost to ship?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@TurtleCat said:

@Hydrant said:

@pcgscacgold said:
    When you buy a nugget with quartz how do you determine the weight of just the gold?

Never bought one. So I don't know. I just pick 'em up around the place. Best time is after a heavy rain or after discing.

Now that’s a place I’d love to visit. I’ve heard that gold is everywhere but sometimes so small and sparse it’s not worth trying to extract. Are you in the Klondike area or Blue Ridge mountains?

I'm in Southern California. Great Great Grandpa settled here and he was searching for gold. The Hydrants are still here 150 years later. And you're right.........gold is everywhere, at least around here, but, IT'S NOT WORTH TRYING TO EXTRACT. Believe me. I've tried and it's back breaking work. Got to look for black layers of dirt in the gullies after a rain. Problem is it never rains around here. Except when it does.......LOOK OUT! FLASH FLOODS!
    But......sometimes you get lucky when you aren't even trying.

If it was easy it would be cheap.

• Options

@csanotes
    Great looking Gold. Thanks for posting those.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to go find gold nuggets when I was younger. Now I have the time but don’t have the energy. I can tell you this. Every time we went it was a ton a fun and memorable.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@TurtleCat said:
    >

Ah, I think I understand. You’re wanting to send some silt around for us to have fun with?

You're in the running.......and your figuring it out....don't upset me!

• Options

Not quite.

• Options
    edited September 2, 2021 2:28PM

I will say this.........I only go into town once a week. On Monday. Early. To the post office, bank, gas station, and the LIQUOR STORE!!!!..........So....the winner(or winners) must take that into consideration as to delivery time. I've already figured out what box to get. The post office has them for FREE! That's what kept me awake the other night...... THE BOX!!!!!!

• Options

Well, regardless of the outcome for me personally I’ve enjoyed the stories and seeing all the nuggets big and small. Hopefully when I get to Dahlonega in the next couple weeks I can add to my small flake collection.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update?

• Options

Maybe they are out digging up the neighbors yard to bag up some prizes for us.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 12:53PM

@1northcoin said:
    Update?

Give him time. He's out drinking, and celebrating the Rams keeping Bryce Perkins. He's hoping he's the next Patrick Mahomes. B)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Klesh or Canadian pay dirt?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 3:07PM

@Hydrant said:
    Might be your lucky day. 💃💃💃

It's been awhile... ~60 years ago I panned this gold:

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@1northcoin said:
    Update?

Yes. I have selected the winner among three...very hard decision. I won't say who it is. I will PM the lucky(?) one...I want to thank all the forum members who contributed to this thread. It is the highlight of my 6+ years here. Thank you all!!!!!

I was away and didn't receive your PM.....

Please try again today Habaraca

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file