Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First time coin type in change. 50 Cent Piece.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2021 12:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

At least for me this is the first time I received this country's coin in change. Southern WV. About the size of a nickel.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool coin, worth 21 cents

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to get Mexican coins when I lived in Texas and Arizona.... Not every day, but frequently. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

In Southern West Virginia it is essentially worthless.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, find canadian quarters here all the time, i tell the cashier i don't want them, they don't work in vending machines and they are not worth a quarter

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    yeah, find canadian quarters here all the time, i tell the cashier i don't want them, they don't work in vending machines and they are not worth a quarter

Here in the Detroit area, which is just across the river from Canada, we used to get stuck with a lot of Canadian coins in change. They are virtually worthless in the US as no one wants to accept them for purchases. I used to save up all the Canadian coins I received (mostly from Coinstar machine reject slots in recent years) and would take them to a local coin show that had a Canadian dealer present. I would offer the Canadian coins to him for half the face value in US. That is the only way I could get rid of them. Since Covid19 struck the border has been closed. This has led to a big decline in the number of Canadian coins I encounter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

@coinpalice said:

Wait ?!? are you in eastern or western Southern West Virginia?

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@291fifth said:

@coinpalice said:

Wait ?!? are you in eastern or western Southern West Virginia?

Is that near Roanoke?

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a coin shop on Beckley about a block from the courthouse? Been wanting to stop in there. Anything good?

• Options

@Crypto and @DNADave

I'm 14 miles south of Beckley, WV neither east nor west, but dead center. 1 1/2 hours from Roanoke.
    Yes Joe Fama's coin shop. Joe is a great guy, but tough. I think the world of Joe. He just has sauntered away from what I need. I have probably sold him more than I have bought from him. We talk for an hour every time I go in. Baseball cards, comics and gold and silver coins. He might just fool you. Worth the stop. Beckley has slowed down a bit, and I usually can find a metered parking place on Main St without having to go around the block more than once or twice. Joe's shop is right on Main Street not set back like the map shows. Let me know when you are there next and maybe we could grab lunch.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@coinpalice said:

Well, I got it in place of a nickel. So while somewhat cool, not worthless. lol
    Jim

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small world. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

In Maine I spend Canadian quarters without much trouble as long it is only one or two at a time. No one seems to care and some of the old school parking meters take the quarters.

Jim

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

DNADave. You would be talking about Fama’s Coins. Sometimes he has some really great coins, but they usually don’t last long. I have bought 6 or 7 1921 Peace dollars over the years from him. He’s a good guy.

• Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I live about 3 blocks from Fama’s Coins.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Might want to check that...

1.00 Mexican Peso = 0.049772017 US Dollars

More like 2 1/2 cents.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I used to get Mexican coins when I lived in Texas and Arizona.... Not every day, but frequently. Cheers, RickO

One of the local pizza places (I was consulting for another subsidiary of the same company) used to allow you to pay for your 'za in pesos, They knew their market - it wasn't a huge part of their business, but it was big enough to be worth doing!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file