Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Pickup — 1928 Peace Dollar & Guess the Grade *GRADE POSTED IN COMMENT*

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 31, 2021 6:21AM in U.S. Coin Forum

GRADE POSTED BELOW IN A COMMENT

Howdy folks. Recently decided to put together a date set of PCGS & CAC Peace Dollars. Here's the first pickup outside of my 1925 type set example. Care to guess the grade? Will post within 24 hours. Cheers.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hair detail, clean cheek, and a little chatter in front of liberty. I'll wag a 66. That's a coin I would buy.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 2:27PM

Pretty dang nice. 65+

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 2:25PM

63, I knocked it down mainly because of the marks on the chin

Mr_Spud

• USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 or 65, I'll go 64 personally.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    63, I knocked it down mainly because of the marks on the chin

Man, you are a tougher grader than my college freshmen literature professor. I'll go 65 - 65+, possibly even 66.

Tim

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+, I knocked it down mainly because of the marks on the chin and the reverse reeding mark below the E.

peacockcoins

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

My eye was immediately drawn to the marks on the chin, which led me to see the marks on the neck, etc… I picked 63 before seeing other people graded it higher and stuck with my first impression

Mr_Spud

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will go with 65+CAC. That coin is stunning. Next to SLQ's that is my favorite silver coin series.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

65+

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

64+

image Respectfully, Mark
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen a fair number of 66s recently with more contact marks, and from the images, I can't tell how much chatter is actually on the chin versus a bit of a shadow. I don't think the coin is a 67, but I do think 66 would be fair.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 no CAC

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

should be a 65. Nice clean cheek.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the tv makes it look better than in hand, MS64

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 all day

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

64-65. Aw what the heck 65.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am torn on this one. I will have to go 65.

Collector, occasional seller

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 because of the neck and the chin. It is a solid coin tho!

Ken
  • scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice looking coin! I would guess 65 just because of the rub/marks on the chin and neck.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Howdy folks. Recently decided to put together a date set of PCGS + CAC Peace Dollars. Here's the first pickup outside of my 1925 type set example. Care to guess the grade? Will post within 24 hours. Cheers.

If this were a 1922-1925-P mint, I would have guessed MS66. Given it is a 1928 and has a plus grade, I’ll guess 64+ since even a 65+ is going to be an expensive and low pop grade.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 5:21PM

65 all day long

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll line up with the other 64+'s.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    If this were a 1922-1925-P mint, I would have guessed MS66. Given it is a 1928 and has a plus grade, I’ll guess 64+ since even a 65+ is going to be an expensive and low pop grade..

My apologies, using the '+' symbol in my title/post was confusing. I was not actually referring to it being a plus grade, although that sounds like a fun challenge. I've changed the title and post to use the ampersand symbol instead of a plus sign. Sorry if that confused anyone else.

Thanks for all of the guesses, reasoning and feedback so far. Will post the grade tomorrow morning.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super sharp coin! First thought was 66, but I'll guess 65, only because they grade the keys tougher. (I'm no expert on grading this series, either.)

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 here. Nice!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

I'd go with 64+, but wouldn't be surprised to see it at 65.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

64+

• remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking MS66. I have several MS66 Peace dollars, & yours is right up there!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with the flow and say 64+.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I owned a 65 that I bought raw, subbed, cac'ed, and sold... and I didn't like it as much as this coin. Grade isn't everything. Really nice coin, and congrats.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are multiple 65 CAC recent auction results linked on CoinFacts with more contact marks and far less eye appeal. Perhaps there is something holding it back that can only be seen in hand with good lighting?

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 9:13AM

I too, perused coinfacts before guessing 66. Would rather own your coin than most of them.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    I owned a 65 that I bought raw, subbed, cac'ed, and sold... and I didn't like it as much as this coin. Grade isn't everything. Really nice coin, and congrats.

I completely agree. Eye appeal is king and to me this coin looks like it was a bargain if it sold at or near 64 price.

Collector, occasional seller

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    There are multiple 65 CAC recent auction results linked on CoinFacts with more contact marks and far less eye appeal. Perhaps there is something holding it back that can only be seen in hand with good lighting?

I've looked at it under both bright natural and incandescent light, and there's nothing that's raising concern. I may take it to my local coin show this coming weekend and have a couple dealers take a look in-hand and give me an objective take. I'll report back if I end up doing that.

@ChrisH821 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I completely agree. Eye appeal is king and to me this coin looks like it was a bargain if it sold at or near 64 price.

Yes, I feel very lucky to have picked it up at close to 64 money, especially given how hot the market for Peace dollars are with the 2021 release.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Peace Dollars, and that is very nice coin! Congrats! Looks 65 to me.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well... Late to the game... Had to work today.... Looked like a 64 to me.... so I guessed good. Very nice Peace dollar.... Cheers, RickO

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@J2035 said:

I've looked at it under both bright natural and incandescent light, and there's nothing that's raising concern. I may take it to my local coin show this coming weekend and have a couple dealers take a look in-hand and give me an objective take. I'll report back if I end up doing that.

@ChrisH821 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Yes, I feel very lucky to have picked it up at close to 64 money, especially given how hot the market for Peace dollars are with the 2021 release.

I don’t think it will 65 but it could/should plus, I would crack if I was you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file