Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many Numismatists can balance on the rim of a coin??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

How many Numismatists can balance on the rim of a coin, specifically, the rim of a 1915 Buffalo Nickel?? My hunch is that the number is right around twelve which is short of the number of Angels that can balance on the head of a pin. I know that may be shocking to some since there are Numismatists among us who are already pretty sure they can walk on water, but that is the sad truth. Now, for accuracy, I think that the number is debatable if it is a Proof 1915 Buffalo Nickel, simply because the polished rim might cause a few Angels(OOPS, I meant Numismatists) to slip off, but I digress.

Here's a thought to do with as you will: Shadows of shadows, passing. It is now 1831, and as always I am absorbed with a delicate thought. It is how poetry has indefinite sensations, to which end music is inessential. Since the comprehension of sweet sound is our most indefinite conception, music, when combined with a pleasurable idea, is poetry. Music without the idea is simply music. Without music or an intriguing idea, color becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb, and the dead are but for a moment, motionless. --- apologies to Edgar Allan Poe

Where were we?? Oh yeah, coin rims and Angels. Drat!! Did it again, coin rims and Numismatists, that's the ticket!!! Doesn't anyone remember not to buy from them boys down South?? They manipulate images and just aren't to be trusted. Certainly the "squirrel finding a nut theory" is in play but every time there's a thread about them at the NutRanch it causes undo stress among members. The mention of GS should trigger the forum software and stop the post before someone gets hammered like the strike of a Proof Buffalo Nickel.

So that brings me to a nice picture post conclusion. If you own a Proof 1915 Buffalo Nickel can you post a nice image of it here?? I don't have one myself, sold the choicest Federal issues in my collection around 2009 when I started to really focus on Exonumia. I find that niche to be less stressful.

Stay cool and watch out for flying Ida debris.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice looking nickel. B)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not have a proof nickel, but enjoyed the post....Kind of fits my mood today... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried and fell. You will be hearing from my attorney.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

None most of us have a hard enough time keeping balance on the ground.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 12:06PM

I suggest anyone with diagnostic questions about 1915 Buffalo Nickels should send them to PCGS for sorting out the Proof/Mint State debacle.

below we have the Team responsible for this in the grading room, from right to left: senior grader Colonel Ketchup, new guy Major Mustard, Slider(the finalizer), tie-breaker Brigadier Bacon and of course, for window dressing we have Officer Onion.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 12:13PM

Ah, the imponderable questions of life. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how many cats will fit in Schrodinger's box, how many Egyptians will fit on the top of a pyramid, and how many 1915 nickels could a die produce until it was smooth? Can a coin be too genuine?

The answers are always dependent chiefly on your definitions. Now days it's also dependent on how you take a picture and manipulate the results.

Progress is coming to exonumia as well. How many tokens and medals have to sell at how high a price before everything that applies to coins applies as well to a Chucky Cheese token?

Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.

...So it goes.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 12:12PM

...And by the way; trying to dance on coins is the principle way they get "circlelated". Spinning while standing on a coin will leave a circular gouge on them.

So the next time you're offered an uncirclelated coin be sure to examine it twice no matter how good the photos.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs Look who's so talented, and you didn't need salt. Applause light is lit. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the answer but both of those numismatic objects are gorgeous!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Buff 5c is very pretty - a series I have trouble grading, especially the obverse. Very nice color. :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file