Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A new 1836 Steam Coinage Medal for the collection- late 19th century or early 20th "restrike"??

NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 30, 2021 8:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, these are my 1836 Steam Coinage medals. I'm trying to determine when the middle one was struck. I weighed them if that helps. Thanks.

The first one is struck on a thick planchet- copper bronze. It has the March. 23 repunched date over Feb. 22. Plus the obverse rim cud & 6 o'clock! Weight 13.48g

The second one down is my new one in which I'm trying to figure out when it was struck. I'm thinking pre-1920s or possibly late 19th century??? The letters and devices look to have a higher relief than the later restrike. I read that Anthony Paquet crafted copy dies in the 1860s I believe. Any way to tell about what era this one was struck? Weight 9.27g

The third one's a later 20th century Restrike. It displays the yellowed sandblasted finish. Weight 10.73g

1836 March 23 over Feb. 22 strike

Late 19th century restrike???

Later 20th Century Restrike

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2021 8:16AM

The piece you have was issued as a U.S. mint medal with the "yellow bronze" surface for a number of years.

The mint stopped making and selling these at least two decades ago. I can't tell you a market price. I sold mine after I got a 19th century striking of the this piece. I was immediately admonished that my medal is "no good" because it is the overdate March 23 piece and not the "real" February 22 variety.

Oh well! You can't win them all. :s

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2021 9:11AM

@BillJones said:
    The piece you have was issued as a U.S. mint medal with the "yellow bronze" surface for a number of years.

The mint stopped making and selling these at least two decades ago. I can't tell you a market price. I sold mine after I got a 19th century striking of the this piece. I was immediately admonished that my medal is "no good" because it is the overdate March 23 piece and not the "real" February 22 variety.

Hi Bill,

The medal on the left has a different surface texture than the yellow bronze one on the right. Can it be dated by surface texture?
    These cell phone pics show the accurate color.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2021 11:58AM

The piece on the left may have been earlier in the 20th century. It also might be the product of toning. These pieces can tone if they are removed from their mint plastic wrap and come in contact with paper containing sulfur or other chemicals.

The piece on the right looks to have a rougher surface, which says to me that it might be of a later vintage.

Here is the piece in my collection.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The piece on the left may have been earlier in the 20th century. It also might be the product of toning. These pieces can tone if they are removed from their mint plastic wrap and come in contact with paper containing sulfur or other chemicals.

The piece on the right looks to have a rougher surface, which says to me that it might be of a later vintage.

Here is the piece in my collection.

Nice medal Bill!

I can't seem to locate a sale online or an image of an earlier strike using Paquet's copy dies.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2021 12:07AM

Great topic! I love these medals and thinking about the transition during those years. Steam presses would last until around 1900 when they were replaced by electricity powered presses.

I'd love to get one with the original February date.

Here's one from my collection. Love the mahogany!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

The issue with the date is that the medal says "FRIST STEAM COINAGE" right on it and since the February ones exist, it's obvious the March ones aren't FIRST!

Mine is also from March!

• Options

I believe that the dates refer to the 1836 Reeded Edge Half Dollars. The mint personnel thought that they would go into production in February, but it was delayed into March.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere a steam press was towed in a parade, making medals for the crowd. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

A steam press was used to strike Julian CM-18 (U.S. Grant) and CM-42 (Wm. Penn Bicentennial) during the Philadelphia parades for these two events but I highly doubt that the First Steam Coinage original medals were ever struck outside of the Mint.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro thanks, that's the event I was speaking of.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file