Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1986-S Silver Eagle Question

Hello All,

Looking for some information from the community, just getting back into the coin collecting hobby as I have been focusing on cards the last few years. I have a 1986-S American Eagle that is graded by "International Grading Service" and is graded PR-70. The label reads 1986-S Silver American Eagle Design and Grade PR-70. I am not familiar with this grading service or the coin too much in particular but looking for info as I will be listing it for sale soon and want to make sure I am educated before trying to sell. Maybe it is worth sending to another grading service and cracking the case? Thanks for any info in advance!!!!

Comments

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a top tier service. If you crack it and submit to PCGS, NGC or Anacs…would raise the value IF it kept the grade.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures would help. A lot of 86s developed cloudy spots. If so, it won't cross at 70 and so it would not be worth sending in

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some info on the coin itself ...
    Link

• Options

I will try and upload some photos in a little bit and see what y'all think. If anyone is interested on this site after I send I would rather sell it to a fellow member here.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DonEllTy .... Welcome aboard.... Look forward to the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited August 30, 2021 7:28AM

@DonEllTy said:
    I will try and upload some photos in a little bit and see what y'all think. If anyone is interested on this site after I send I would rather sell it to a fellow member here.

Welcome.

FYI - There is a forum category specifically designed for this purpose.
    Link

• Options

@MetroD said:

@DonEllTy said:

Welcome.

FYI - There is a forum category specifically designed for this purpose.
    Link

Understood, this thread is not a sales post I was just making a comment.

• Options

@DonEllTy said:

Did NOT mean to come across as snarky.

Was honestly just trying to make you aware of the BST, in case you did know about it. :)

• Options

@MetroD said:

@DonEllTy said:

Did NOT mean to come across as snarky.

Was honestly just trying to make you aware of the BST, in case you did know about it. :)

All good my man, appreciate you looking out!

• Options

Here are the photos of the coin, let me know your thoughts....

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm 99% sure this won't make a PR70DCAM. If you can see ANY imperfection on the surface of the coin it won't grade 70. These 2nd tier grading services were notorious for over grading and didn't stay in business long.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a white spot or something on the side of the eagle…unless that is on the case or glare. I would go BST. I just bought a 70 of that coin off the BST couple months ago.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options

@Mgarmy said:
    Looks like a white spot or something on the side of the eagle…unless that is on the case or glare. I would go BST. I just bought a 70 of that coin off the BST couple months ago.

That is on the case from what i can tell. The only suspect locations are along the rim of the coin but like i said im not too familiar with these. Rather sell than resubmit elsewhere, any input on rough value based on all that being said?

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just going with the odds I'd say the coin is a 69. Very low pop numbers for 70.

• Options

@DonEllTy said:

@Mgarmy said:

That is on the case from what i can tell. The only suspect locations are along the rim of the coin but like i said im not too familiar with these. Rather sell than resubmit elsewhere, any input on rough value based on all that being said?

I see milky spots in the fields. That alone makes it a 69.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe most/all non-top tier slabs trade as if raw.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pf-69$70 Pf-70$300. Approximately.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@JBK said:
    I believe most/all non-top tier slabs trade as if raw.

Definitely for 70s

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the others, consider it raw.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file