Home Sports Talk

Is Tony Romo a first ballot Hall of Famer?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jerry Jones says Tony Romo is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Jerry Jones thinks Tony Romo should be first-ballot Hall of Famer

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones believes that Tony Romo should be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next year.

Jones was asked on 103.5 The Fan whether Romo is a Hall of Famer or not and said, in his view, the former quarterback belongs in the class of 2022 when he will be eligible for the first time.

"Well, I think there's no question in my mind that Tony is skilled, at a skilled level, and had accomplishments statistically that were there," Jones said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "The fact that we did not have a Super Bowl during that time is always going to be in the conversation as to where Tony Romo will rank — not rank, but where he's acknowledged. You're talking to a guy that he would be a first-round ballot with me, and I don't apologize for that."

Romo, a four-time Pro Bowler, never won a Super Bowl in his 13-year career. However, Jones put the blame on himself as owner and general manager for Romo never getting a ring.

"You've heard me say it's right there maybe my most disappointing thing about the Cowboys for me is not winning a Super Bowl or be in one with Tony Romo," Jones said. "And we just weren't able when we didn't have him, we weren't able to compensate for that. That had something to do with him not being on a Super Bowl team."

Romo is a long shot to make the Hall of Fame. In addition to never winning a Super Bowl, the 41-year-old failed to achieve many other accolades that Hall of Fame QBs have, such as MVP and Offensive Player of the Year.

In 156 career games with the Cowboys, Romo completed 65.3% of his passes for 34,183 yards and 248 touchdowns against 117 interceptions.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh god I love a good Jerry Jones thread, I've never felt so alive.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

prime jessica simpson certainly was.

@blurryface said:
    prime jessica simpson certainly was.

You ever wonder what Jerry Jones would look like with a mullet, I know I have, many times. Well, wonder no more, after many years of searching, I have finally managed to obtain a photo of Jerry.......with a mullet!

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even on the ballot in a bad year

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Not even on the ballot in a bad year

I vehemently oppose you're opinion on this matter, if Jerry says Romo belongs in the hall of fame, first ballot, then I trust him, hands down and it's not even close., the man is a god. Now if you'll excuse him, Jerry has some checks to write!

Ever wonder what Jerry Jones would look like with a wild mustache, yeah so have I.

Oh my goodness, in this photo Jerry's mustache reminds me of Tom Selleck.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe Jerry could just buy the HOF and put all his relatives or in-laws in after he is the only one able to vote. Didn’t a Cowboys QB marry one of his relatives?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited August 29, 2021 4:01AM

@2dueces said:
    Maybe Jerry could just buy the HOF and put all his relatives or in-laws in after he is the only one able to vote. Didn’t a Cowboys QB marry one of his relatives?

Buy the HOF, that's not a bad suggestion, Jerry will think about that. Now, if you'll excuse him, Jerry has to go cruising for fly honey's in his six four!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

He already has the HOF broadcasting credentials and is a lock for that. As a player? Not a chance

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    He already has the HOF broadcasting credentials and is a lock for that. As a player? Not a chance

That's a good point perkdog. As a Cowboy fan I always felt Romo was a bit underrated. He put up some huge numbers on some real cruddy teams for much of his career. I agree that as a player there's no chance, but when you combine his "respectable" career with his current broadcasting excellence one day he may actually get in.

Who is this Tony Romo everyone keeps bringing up? This thread is about two things:

1. Jerry Jones
    2. Mexicans with gold teeth

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭

I don't even think he's in the hall of very good. He was a solid pro and that's about the best that can be said about him to me.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2021 7:44PM

viewing pleasure only. just to add a pic that does not contain gold teeth, gold chains, mustaches, mullets, grey hair or track suits. not that i have a problem w any of those. actually can we find a pic that includes all of those in one?

if you didnt like the cowboys, then you loved her!

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you Blurry, now the thread is on a good trajectory 🙌

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Who is this Tony Romo everyone keeps bringing up? This thread is about two things:

1. Jerry Jones
    2. Mexicans with gold teeth

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

DD did you steal that stash from Rollie Fingers?

Romo could have been a HOFer except for all the injuries.

He is the best FB broadcaster out there.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually took a very scientific poll and here were the results:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2021 7:51AM

I am not sharing this video to say that he is a first ballot HOF. I just hope some (at least one) of you will enjoy it.

Edited to add: for anyone who doesn't know, just click "watch on youtube" to view

https://youtu.be/BaVsRj5zro4

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

no.

• I don't see how. He never won anything important. Always throwing picks and getting hurt. Geez .. put me in if he goes