Home Sports Talk
Options

What kind of cheap garbage is this?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Chinese Olympic Gold medalist says her Gold medal is peeling.

CHINESE OLYMPIAN
MY GOLD MEDAL IS PEELING!!!

Chinese Olympics gold medalist Zhu Xueying's new hardware is already losing some shine ... 'cause the trampoline gymnast says it's PEELING!!!

The 23-year-old athlete went to social media to show off the alleged damage this week ... asking fellow Olympians if they had experienced anything similar with their medals.

"#olympic-medal Was your medal ... peeling off like this?" she asked on Weibo.

Zhu says she initially thought the mark was just dirt, but the spot grew bigger and bigger.

FYI -- the medals aren't solid gold ... they're actually made from mostly silver and, for the 2020 Games, reused metals donated by the public ... and coated least 6 grams of pure gold.

The Olympic committee ended up sending a response to Zhu ... saying the peeling is actually a protective coating and claiming the medal is perfectly fine.

But, if something were to ever happen to a medal, the committee keeps a mold and can always crank out some new ones ... for a fee.

Zhu became the second Chinese Olympian to win gold in the trampoline gymnastics event in the 2020 Games in Tokyo ... with a score of 56.635.

Comments

• Options

Great, she can show her gold medal to her kids someday, and say, "I won this in the Tokyo Olympics, oh by the way, just ignore how hideous it looks!"

• Options

Sure, we'll replace it, for a fee!

• Options

What's the point of getting it replaced, the replacement will just peel away too!

• Options
    DorkisDorkis Posts: 22 ✭✭

Considering the expense of hosting the olympics, providing 14k gold medals vs laminated dreck is minimal.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

so its not winning gold. its winning peeled gold plated?

• Options

@blurryface said:
    so its not winning gold. its winning peeled gold plated?

Yes, the athletes won gold plated medals, I think they're most silver with gold plating.

• Options

This whole incident is bringing back fond memories, it reminds me of that jewelry store I bought my wife's wedding ring from....

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    This whole incident is bringing back fond memories, it reminds me of that jewelry store I bought my wife's wedding ring from....

Tiffanee Ring?

Classy

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Big Spender!!👍👍

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

The medals have always even clad. It happens on coins too. It’s not the metal value, it’s the medal value.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    The medals have always even clad. It happens on coins too. It’s not the metal value, it’s the medal value.

correct, but definitely woulda thought it had way more than 6 grams of gold. whats gold per g? $70?

thats like $420? sheesh.

• Options

These athletes train so hard to be able to win a gold medal and that's what they get to remember, a hideous garbage medal that's peeling apart? You want to replace it, sure, for a fee!

• Options

And then the replacement peels apart!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get a replacement for a fee - 50 cents a try...................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

No way man, they should just give the athletes a Chuck E. Cheese token, they hold up better than that gold plated silver garbage!