Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

8 Reales Variety - 1820/10 Mo-JJ

TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 25, 2021 9:58AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

My hunt for tough certifiable portrait varieties continues with this recent addition. When Yonaka published his reference, he's only encountered 3 examples of this over-date. One of those examples was from my collection - a Details coin due to cleaning hairlines you'll see below. Another one is in the hands of a fellow collector currently holding the #1 spot in the portrait 8 Reales registry. I'm guessing it might have some issues, as he hasn't added it to the set, yet.

Took me a while, but i think i finally landed an example that should straight-grade (VF30 or thereabouts). Pretty excited about this addition. Listed as R3 in Yonaka.

Would love to hear if you think it will bodybag or have a grade opinion. It's currently in an acetone soak to see if any of that old crud around the devices comes off.

Here's my previous details one:

And here's the recent addition:

Comments

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting find, have a question:
    When soaking it in acetone, it does not affect when it is sent to certify?

Thanks.-

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree on the likeness of the die characteristics between the pieces. Good stuff!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not see any reason for anything other than a straight grade, of course is based on a photograph. Nice addition!

• Options

@ELuis said:
    Interesting find, have a question:
    When soaking it in acetone, it does not affect when it is sent to certify?

Thanks.-

Acetone is an organic solvent, so it would not harm the coin underneath. What sometimes happens when a coin after acetone gets bodybagged: 1. acetone didn't remove the verdigris / crud and someone uses mechanical means to get rid of it (rose thorn, tooth pick) that leaves an area of scratches; 2. acetone removes verdigris, but the spot has damage underneath; 3. acetone removes organic residue (like cigar/cigarette smoke staining) that was hiding underlying issues like hairlines.

@Boosibri said:
    Agree on the likeness of the die characteristics between the pieces. Good stuff!

Thanks!

@Abuelo said:
    I do not see any reason for anything other than a straight grade, of course is based on a photograph. Nice addition!

I agree, but if I learned anything submitting over the last 15 years is that anything is possible ;)

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I think you will be lucky to get a VF20 and likely a F15. I realize it's striking weakness but grading these days seems to more and more lean towards assigning a value as opposed to technicalities.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Personally I think you will be lucky to get a VF20 and likely a F15. I realize it's striking weakness but grading these days seems to more and more lean towards assigning a value as opposed to technicalities.

Could be. For this one the grade doesn't matter as much as I've been looking for a problem-free example.

• Options
    CaptMorgansCaptMorgans Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Likewise on mine...

• Options
    edited September 13, 2021 3:00PM

Hey @CaptMorgans I don't really see the 2/1 over-date on yours or the doubling in the 0 that are markers for this die. If you also compare the location of the legend and date in relation to the bust, you'd notice it's a different obverse die altogether.

But welcome to the discussion!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@amwldcoin said:

Could be. For this one the grade doesn't matter as much as I've been looking for a problem-free example.

Just to close the loop on this old thread - straight graded XF45

Well Amwldcoin is now banned, presumably not for his ridiculous grade assessment .

Congrats!

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki were you given the 2/1?

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @TwoKopeiki were you given the 2/1?

I was.

@Boosibri said:

Well Amwldcoin is now banned, presumably not for his ridiculous grade assessment .

Congrats!

Thanks! I think 45 is a tad optimistic, but honestly doesn't matter. Just happy with a straight graded example.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2022 12:43PM

A few more examples I've cataloged over the years:

And a couple of addition from a fellow variety collector: