Home Sports Talk
Options

Next time you go to a game, don't eat a hotdog!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

A new study suggests that every time we eat a hot dog, it takes 36 minutes off of our life!

New study suggests eating a hot dog may shorten your lifespan by 36 minutes
Researchers at the University of Michigan look at life expectancy by analysing around 6,000 foods

Hot dogs are one of the worst foods when it comes to maintaining a 'healthy life'.

Eating a hot dog may shorten your life by up to 36 minutes say researchers from the University of Michigan.

The findings were part of a new study that calculated the health burden of a number of different foods by looking at their carbon footprint and nutritional impact.

The study was published in the journal, Nature Food, and is based around healthy life (the increase in good-quality and disease-free life expectancy).

Some findings from the study show that in addition to nuts and seeds, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds more than 30 extra minutes to your life, followed by baked salmon (13.5 minutes) and bananas (13.5 minutes). French fries also surprisingly made the cut, but only with 1.5 minutes.

University of Michigan researchers say hot dogs are one of the biggest unhealthy culprits as they take 36 minutes away from a person's lifespan.

The study finds soft drinks take away about 12.4 minutes'. Unsplash

Double cheeseburgers are also terrible, taking away 8.8 minutes from a healthy lifespan. Unsplash

Pizza is another unfavourable food choice, with the study reporting a person loses 7.8 minutes. Unsplash

Eating cheddar cheese can lead to losing up to 1.4 minutes of your life. Unsplash

French fries surprisingly made the good list, with the study saying it can add 1.5 minutes to your life. Unsplash

The superfood Avocado adds 2.8 minutes to a healthy life. Unsplash

Tomatoes can potentially add 3.8 minutes. Unsplash

The hardy banana adds 13.5 minutes to a lifespan. Unsplash

Eating baked salmon can help gain 13.5 minutes. Unsplash

The popular peanut butter and jam sandwich is a top option for health as it can add 33.1 minutes. Unsplash

Conversely, foods such as soft drinks, double cheeseburgers, pizza and bacon fell into the “minutes lost” from healthy life expectancy category, although hot dogs remained the biggest culprit.

The authors of the study explained how they reached their conclusion by factoring in other things when it came to the popular hot dog found across America.

“We found that, on average, 0.45 minutes are lost per gram of any processed meat that a person eats in the US,” wrote the authors of the study.

“The 61 grams of processed meat in a hot dog sandwich results in 27 minutes of healthy life lost due to this amount of processed meat alone.

“Then, when considering the other risk factors, like the sodium and trans fatty acids inside the hot dog – counterbalanced by the benefit of its polyunsaturated fat and fibers – we arrived at the final value of 36 minutes of healthy life lost per hot dog.”

The researchers behind the findings calculated the direct influence of various meals, snacks and drinks in almost 6,000 cases.

Comments

• Options

As I speak, I have a whole pack of Ballpark franks in my refrigerator, I'm tossing those vicious beasts in the trash!

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about sausage? That has to be in the minus column.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    What about sausage? That has to be in the minus column.

I think sausage is very bad for you, I'm certainly not going to trust it!

• Options

And I was going to make dragon dogs for lunch, I was looking forward to a good dragon dog lunch. Why must the scientific community always ruin my lunch with their dang studies!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a technician in my mid 20’s I had to go out to factories and repair large air compressors. I went into many a food factory and a hot dog factory was one of them. Imagine a machine with 100’s of bladed millimeters apart on a long conveyor belt chopping anything that passes. Now imagine jaws, hoofs and whatever passing under the blades and at the end a mushy conglomerate of meat then squeezed into a wrapping and packaged as a hotdog for human consumption. The FDA also allows a certain percentage of rat remains and droppings and they put a stamp to all of it.

Yes folks, that’s what you eat every time you bite into a delicious Oscar Mayer wiener.

For your next lesson I will recount my experience with Campbells Soup.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    As a technician in my mid 20’s I had to go out to factories and repair large air compressors. I went into many a food factory and a hot dog factory was one of them. Imagine a machine with 100’s of bladed millimeters apart on a long conveyor belt chopping anything that passes. Now imagine jaws, hoofs and whatever passing under the blades and at the end a mushy conglomerate of meat then squeezed into a wrapping and packaged as a hotdog for human consumption. The FDA also allows a certain percentage of rat remains and droppings and they put a stamp to all of it.

Yes folks, that’s what you eat every time you bite into a delicious Oscar Mayer wiener.

For your next lesson I will recount my experience with Campbells Soup.

Oh god, I think I'm going to be sick. I've been eating rat turds!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... what happens if I eat a hot dog followed by 3 servings of baked Salmon? Does that become a zero sum or should I follow that up with brandy shots in an effort to live as long as Winston Churchill?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 7:15AM

that sound you hear off in the distance is stevek squealing like a pig

dude is trying so hard not to speak but this one is about to break him

i just know it

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

The study is complete nonsense. They say smoking can take years off your life but immediately upon quitting your lungs start to heal. These studies are projects that fill up science class time in colleges

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2021 8:13AM

stevek right now, saying I told you so, while drinking organic apple juice....

• Options

Steve is lucky, he's never eaten a hot dog before, he'll probably live to be 110, while the rest of us are just screwed!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to worry - you would have to eat about 17,000 hot dogs to only lose one year of your life. That's one less year of laying in a nursing home - I'm OK with that!

"Extra Jalapenos Please"...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

No sir, 2dueces has scared me straight, no more ratdogs for me!

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never sausage a terrible thread!

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    No sir, 2dueces has scared me straight, no more ratdogs for me!

Reminds me of the time my mother opened a can of Armour Canned Ham.........large rat tail right on top. Never bought that product again!

• Options

Some findings from the study show that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds more than 30 extra minutes to your life.

I did the math. If I eat 50 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches per day I will live forever.

• Options

If you eat yourself do you disappear or weigh twice as much?

• Options

stevek has never eaten a hot dog before, he's going to live to be 110. We should have listened to Steve!

• Options

Here, just look at this mess, and it's inside of us as we speak, I have to go lie down!

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 1:25PM

@Hydrant said:

( Some findings from the study show that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds more than 30 extra minutes to your life.)

So then if you slam a PB & J Dog then you're good to go breaking even! :D

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yum...

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 1:41PM

@perkdog said:
    The study is complete nonsense. They say smoking can take years off your life but immediately upon quitting your lungs start to heal. These studies are projects that fill up science class time in colleges

George Burns smoked 10 cigars a day and lived to be 100.
    Dana Reeve, Christopher Reeve wife never smoked, her parents didn’t smoke, Christopher didn’t smoke, was never exposed to second hand smoke died of lung cancer at 44.
    Guys, it’s in your genes. Heart disease, cancer and any of the kisses of death. Live like it’s your last day. Love, smile , laugh and leave a shriveled corpse.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces, for the love of god, please don't tell me how they make Campbell's Soup, I need my Campbell's Soup, if there's mouse droppings in it, I don't want to know!

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Yum...

Oh god, I don't want to know what that is, and please don't tell me!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2021 2:59PM

if this is true I have lost 6.4 years to hot dogs!!! :s

OK, I just noticed the PB&J line so I'm back in the black, so to speak. :p

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 2:29PM

When I was in college in the late ‘60s, each cigarette took 15 minutes off you life. I guess hot dogs are worse. If this is true, the guy who has won the Nathen’s Famous hot dog eating contest died several years ago. His ghost must be carrying the tradition toward.

Studies like this are silly. It shows how higher education has really become lower education. Sure, a diet of nothing but hot dogs and other fatty foods is not good for you, but measuring it like this is a joke. Perhaps if I eat thousands of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I’ll live forever.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Yum...

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

@doubledragon said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Yum...

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 4:06PM

@doubledragon said:
    Here, just look at this mess, and it's inside of us as we speak, I have to go lie down!

TRUE.......A lady(?) sitting in front of me at the Rams/Raiders game last Saturday was chowing down on a mess just like that. I had to get up and go for fresh air. The worst part was watching her pick out the jalapenos with her 4" nails and licking her fingers. VOMIT GROSS.........RAIDER NATION BABY.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do we need to create the Upton Sinclair Memorial Award for the chosen participant of this thread?

Looks as if we have some competition... Don't worry, if you so happen to be selected, you won't be obligated to run for Governor of California.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

This thread has left me traumatized, just thinking about all the hot dogs I've eaten. I'm screwed!

• Options

I know you're out there Mr. K, and I know you're reading this thread, and I know you're laughing and lying, and you're lying and laughing. I also know Fluffy is there with you too. Show yourself!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reads like science from the 50s

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 5:46PM

The good thing with science from the 50s is you can really nuke a hot dog and suffer no ill effects

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

He's never eaten a hot dog in his life, he's going to live to be 170, it's just not fair!

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 6:55PM

@Bullsitter said:

@doubledragon said:

@Bullsitter said:
    Yum...

I had an uncle who worked at a slaughter house/meat packing factory near Witchta, Kansas. I got a tour of the place when I was a kid. Worst part.......what went into the hot dogs. Well.....I know you don't want to know......but the answer is......EVERYTHING......All the left overs......and I mean EVERYTHING!....use your imagination!

• Options
    edited August 24, 2021 7:09PM

Actually, that wasn't the worst part.......but......oh, forget it......Enjoy your steak!

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Just drink a Kale smoothie and it adds back 36 minutes so you'll be fine. Disgusted but fine.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    When I was in college in the late ‘60s, each cigarette took 15 minutes off you life. I guess hot dogs are worse. If this is true, the guy who has won the Nathen’s Famous hot dog eating contest died several years ago. His ghost must be carrying the tradition toward.

Studies like this are silly. It shows how higher education has really become lower education. Sure, a diet of nothing but hot dogs and other fatty foods is not good for you, but measuring it like this is a joke. Perhaps if I eat thousands of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I’ll live forever.

I’ve smoked continuously for 50 years. I guess I was supposed to live until I was 150. Now I’ll have to settle for 100. My doctor just shakes his head when he examines my chest. No rattle, no cough, no breathing problems. I know it’s very unhealthy but so is chocolate cake

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@Hydrant said:

( Some findings from the study show that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich adds more than 30 extra minutes to your life.)

So then if you slam a PB & J Dog then you're good to go breaking even! :D

People are weird, I’ve heard of bacon ice cream as well. Just mixing foods that don’t need to be mixed is bizarre behavior

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder the life expectancy of the guy who wins Nathan's dog eating contest every year.

Think of all the wasted dollars on completely useless studies to keep academia busy that could be devoted to meaningful work.

Like cancer......

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

when I was in HS I took a course called "Non-Western Cultures" and a requirement was to subscribe to Time Magazine and write a paper each week based on an article in that week's issue. one had an article about Hot Dog Manufacture in great detail, an expose so to speak. around the same time I think I had read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair for an English class.

I don't think I ate a Hot Dog for several years afterwards. :|

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, so, with all of the above being said, shall we address this monstrosity again?

what is the death toll up to now after that rams game?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    ok, so, with all of the above being said, shall we address this monstrosity again?

what is the death toll up to now after that rams game?

You eat that and you'll lose 36 YEARS of your life!

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I wonder if Tom Brady has every eaten a hot dog?