Home Sports Talk
Options

What was the first NFL game you attended?

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first NFL game attended was a Monday nighter. 11/28/83. Dolphins blew out the Bengals 38-14 at the Orange Bowl. The Orange Bowl was a whole different place for night games! Electric atmosphere! I went to mostly Canes games there over the years. I sure miss that place.

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

1967 Raiders playoff with Houston. No contest before they laid down like a dog against the Pack in the SB.
    Still have the pennant from the game.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a teenager, it was in 1995 the Carolina Panthers inaugural season, it was the Panthers first ever regular season game and they were playing the Atlanta Falcons and we traveled to the Georgia Dome to watch it. It was an absolute nail biter, and a heartbreaker. I remember Frank Reich was our quarterback and Dom Capers was our head coach.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8zwd4vz4oiE

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 5:26PM

1967 Rams vs Lions Thanksgiving. Tiger Stadium. Roman Gabriel and Milt Plum under center. In typical Lions fashion we left early. My Dad told me to find another team to follow the Lions would only break my heart. Some of the best advise I ever got. I ended up following Joe Kapp and the Boston Patriots in 1970 and I had to be very patient but it worked out. Being a Michigan alum the whole Brady thing was pure Yahtzee

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 5:20PM

The first that I remember was in 1965. (?). Rams/Falcons. I think it was the first year the Falcons were in the NFL. L.A. Coliseum. Greatest place to watch a football game ......EVER! No place like it!

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

About 1975 or '76 - Rams at LA Coliseum. I believe it was Merlin Olsen's last game, or last home game, if I recall correctly.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2021 9:09PM

I hear ya.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

1978 Detroit Lions vs Denver Broncos at the Pontiac Silverdome. My uncle did business with several different well known sports contacts in the Detroit area and received free tickets often. At that point I was not a fan of the home team and wore my #77 Lyle Alzado Jersey to the game! :D

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963 War Memorial Stadium, Buffalo, New York. I’d have to google the Bills first preseason home game but that was it. My father purchased season tickets in 1959 and had them until his death in 1982. He loved his Bills!

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the first game I attended was September 4, 1965 (Sat), an exhibition game with the Cleveland Browns vs. the Green Bay Packers. the Pack won 30-14 in old Cleveland Municipal Stadium with 83,118 in attendance. little did anyone know at the time, but it was a prelude to the 1965 NFL Championship which Green Bay also won, 23-12. everyone likes to remember these Teams for the offensive firepower, but the Packers had managed to build one of the best defensive Teams of all-time.

I split a season pass that year with my cousin, we alternated games. I attended the pre-season game and then three regular season games while he went to four regular season games. I wonder what we'd have done if the Championship was held in Cleveland?? the following year we each had our own passes. the other three games I got to see:
    October 9th vs. Pittsburgh --- Cleveland won 24-19. this was a Saturday Night game under the lights!!
    October 31st vs. Minnesota --- Minnesota won 27-17.
    November 14th vs. New York Giants --- Cleveland won 34-21.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

1975-1977 timeframe. It was Patriots verse Steelers or Lions I can’t remember which was first

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

December 22, 1985. Was in St. Pete to visit my uncle who was a snowbird. I went to the Green Bay - Tampa game with another uncle. Steve Young was the TB QB. The series of plays I remember the most was TB recovered a fumble at the 2 yard line. TB got a couple of penalties and then Young was trying to pass and scrambled for about a 20 yard loss. TB ended up punting when they started out at first and goal from the 2 yard line.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2021 2:36PM

Eagles vs. the Giants, in the fall of 1971 at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia.

My memory of the Eagle’s quarterback was that he would have had a hard time completing a pass in a game of catch in the backyard. My only memory of the game was when he failed to complete a wide open pass to a receiver in the end zone. He got a chorus of “Philly cheers.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

My first (and only) attendance at an NFL game happened on November 16, 1975 at the old Foxboro Stadium in Massachusetts. The traffic was terrible getting there so with about 15 minutes to go my friend and I decided we'd seen enough and left in an attempt to avoid heavy traffic. Well that didn't work and we pretty much just sat while the road out was stuffed with others fans with the same idea. We put the game on the car radio and can you believe it - the Patriots nearly pulled off an upset win! They ended up losing but we sure did miss the best parts of that game. Here's a little blurb I found online about that game day.... "With [Jim] Plunkett out for the second time, Fairbanks turned to rookie quarterback Steve Grogan. A fifth-round draft pick from Kansas State with great mobility and a strong throwing arm, Grogan immediately endeared himself to the home fans at Foxborough by coming off the bench and throwing two touchdown passes against the 49ers. Grogan started in St. Louis the next week and played well in a 24-17 loss to the playoff-bound Cardinals. The following week, Grogan completed 17-of-28 passes for 245 yards and one touchdown in leading the Patriots to a 33-19 road win at San Diego.
    The fans had a new favorite, but with Plunkett healed, Fairbanks selected him to start when the Patriots returned home to play the eventual NFC champion Dallas Cowboys. When Plunkett was introduced at the start of the game, he was greeted with a chorus of boos unmatched in intensity for any Patriot player before or since. Despite suffering a sprained knee in the first half Plunkett put forth a magnificent effort. Though no longer as nimble and maneuverable as he once was, Plunkett ran for one score and threw for three more in leading the Patriots to a near upset of the Cowboys, falling just short, 34-31. As it turned out, his courageous effort against Dallas would be his last game in a Patriot uniform.

• Options

@brucewayne said:
    My first (and only) attendance at an NFL game happened on November 16, 1975 at the old Foxboro Stadium in Massachusetts. The traffic was terrible getting there so with about 15 minutes to go my friend and I decided we'd seen enough and left in an attempt to avoid heavy traffic. Well that didn't work and we pretty much just sat while the road out was stuffed with others fans with the same idea. We put the game on the car radio and can you believe it - the Patriots nearly pulled off an upset win! They ended up losing but we sure did miss the best parts of that game. Here's a little blurb I found online about that game day.... "With [Jim] Plunkett out for the second time, Fairbanks turned to rookie quarterback Steve Grogan. A fifth-round draft pick from Kansas State with great mobility and a strong throwing arm, Grogan immediately endeared himself to the home fans at Foxborough by coming off the bench and throwing two touchdown passes against the 49ers. Grogan started in St. Louis the next week and played well in a 24-17 loss to the playoff-bound Cardinals. The following week, Grogan completed 17-of-28 passes for 245 yards and one touchdown in leading the Patriots to a 33-19 road win at San Diego.
    The fans had a new favorite, but with Plunkett healed, Fairbanks selected him to start when the Patriots returned home to play the eventual NFC champion Dallas Cowboys. When Plunkett was introduced at the start of the game, he was greeted with a chorus of boos unmatched in intensity for any Patriot player before or since. Despite suffering a sprained knee in the first half Plunkett put forth a magnificent effort. Though no longer as nimble and maneuverable as he once was, Plunkett ran for one score and threw for three more in leading the Patriots to a near upset of the Cowboys, falling just short, 34-31. As it turned out, his courageous effort against Dallas would be his last game in a Patriot uniform.

Cool story! I have heard to this day how bad the traffic is in that part of the world.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

@brucewayne said:

Cool story! I have heard to this day how bad the traffic is in that part of the world.

And welcome aboard! Just noticed it's your post #1.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Batman. HI, hello, how are ya? welcome

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@brucewayne said:

Epic write up!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    1975-1977 timeframe. It was Patriots verse Steelers or Lions I can’t remember which was first

Wow didn’t realize you were a youngster. I thought your first game was before they invented the forward pass. Or maybe that was my first game.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

Wow didn’t realize you were a youngster. I thought your first game was before they invented the forward pass. Or maybe that was my first game.

LOL