Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are new errors ever spotted by amateurs? What's the longest it's taken for an error to be spotted?

Newbie2021Newbie2021 Posts: 38
edited August 15, 2021 8:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Has an amateur ever gone through a pile of circulated coins, and spotted a previously unknown error?

What's the longest it's ever taken for an error to be spotted?

Also, is it possible there any any circulating coins out there with undiscovered errors?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2021 8:29PM

I don’t know about a newbie but it is possible

The 1919 ddo dime took a about a 100 years to discover and it is a visible ddo

Yes it is possible and probable

Martin

• Options
    Newbie2021Newbie2021 Posts: 38
    edited August 15, 2021 8:33PM

@Martin said:
    I don’t know about a newbie but it is possible

The 1919 ddo dime took a about a 100 years to discover and it is a visible ddo

Yes it is possible and probable

Martin

Fascinating

• Options
    MOS0231MOS0231 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 said:
    1. Has an amateur ever gone through a pile of circulated coins, and spotted a previously unknown error?

1. What's the longest it's ever taken for an error to be spotted?

2. Also, is it possible there any any circulating coins out there with undiscovered errors?

Thank you!

1. Yes
    2. Don't know
    3. Absolutely
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another question I never thought about. I don’t know 😳 #1 probably #2. Longest it’s taken pretty dang dang long #3. Undiscovered out there possibly 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummm.

I think you are asking about varieties.

Errors are one-offs and anyone can find them.

As for varieties such as doubled dies, while it is possible that a newbie to find one, because they are inexperienced it is far more likely that the anomalies they see are Machine Doubling, for example.

• Options

@JBK said:
    Ummm.

I think you are asking about varieties.

Errors are one-offs and anyone can find them.

As for varieties such as doubled dies, while it is possible that a newbie to find one, because they are inexperienced it is far more likely that the anomalies they see are Machine Doubling, for example.

Thanks!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

With many, many collectors now priced out of the market for rare coins of any significance there has been a move to looking for minor, and often very minor, varieties and errors. The lower the bar is set the more likely it is that such minor items can be found. Once found, the real task is to find a buyer who will pay a premium for such items.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    With many, many collectors now priced out of the market for rare coins of any significance there has been a move to looking for minor, and often very minor, varieties and errors. The lower the bar is set the more likely it is that such minor items can be found. Once found, the real task is to find a buyer who will pay a premium for such items.

This.

Most errors or varieties are not highly collectible.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The most common varieties/errors we see posted in these times, are parking lot or dryer coins. ;) So that proves that amateurs are certainly looking, ergo, it is possible they will find a real variety/error. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@JBK said:
    I will also add my old addage: if you want to find errors/varieties, look at more coins, don't look at your coins more closely.

Some people scrutinize every coin under a microscope to try to find the slightest anomaly that they then argue is some valuable error.

While they waste their time doing that, other collectors are tearing through rolls and boxes of coins finding the good stuff.

That is why it is far more productive for newer collectors to focus on looking for known varieties (sime people also use "errors").

This is great to know, thanks! What are the top 5 or so coins you would look for this way? I’m a total beginner.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file