Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best place to buy rolls of circulated 1865 Indian head cents and 1912 Liberty nickels?

Newbie2021Newbie2021 Posts: 38
edited August 13, 2021 4:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello,

I'd like to buy rolls of 1865 Indian head cents and 1912 Liberty nickels. Can someone point me to a site or dealer that sells them wholesale? I'm also open to rolls of 1860-1865 Indian head cents, if that's easier to find.

Update: Since it wasn't clear from my initial post, I'm looking for rolls of circulated coins, as long as the date is clear and a few other features are visible. I think that may mean Good condition but I'm not sure. Still learning...

Thank you!

Newbie2021

Comments

• KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried your local bank branch?

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

really?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• @PTVetter Yes, I'm being sincere.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have a time machine?

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no best place to acquire such rolls, as the chances of anyone having them are very close to zero.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    There is no best place to acquire such rolls, as the chances of anyone having them are very close to zero.

He didn't say "original rolls" or even "uncirculated rolls". If he wants circ rolls, that is easy.

@Newbie2021 said:
    Hello,

I'd like to buy rolls of 1865 Indian head cents and 1912 Liberty nickels. Can someone point me to a site or dealer that sells them wholesale? I'm also open to rolls of 1860-1865 Indian head cents, if that's easier to find.

Thank you!

Newbie2021

You need to specify condition. Do you want circulated rolls? Uncirculated? Good or better? VF or better?

• Yes, I'm looking for rolls of circulated coins, as long as the date is clear and a few other features are visible. I think that may mean Good condition but I'm not sure. Still learning...

@Newbie2021 said:
    Yes, I'm looking for rolls of circulated coins, as long as the date is clear and a few other features are visible. I think that may mean Good condition but I'm not sure. Still learning...

Yes. 1912 liberty nickels are easy and pretty inexpensive. The Indians will be a bit more expensive.

Greysheet bid on the 1912s would be about $40. The 1865s would be more like $500 in good or better.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

He didn't say "original rolls" or even "uncirculated rolls". If he wants circ rolls, that is easy.

I’m aware of what he said and I stand by my previous comment. Of all the sellers out there, what percentage do you think have (circulated) rolls of those dates?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Newbie2021Newbie2021 Posts: 38
    edited August 13, 2021 5:06PM

Thank you! I wasn't sure if dealers sorted them by year. Did you mean $50 for the 1865s or is $500 correct? Also, would rolls of 1860 to 1865 Indian head cents be cheaper and easier to find than just 1865?

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like it would be easy enough to put rolls together but sellers probably don't do so as a matter of course.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2021 5:39PM

Coincidentally, I have purchased rolls of 1912 nickels on Ebay on a couple occassions.

If you are patient you can find them. Or, you could message a seller who has a huge quantity of mixed dates and ask if they'd sort out the date you want.

Be careful of condition. There is AG/G on the lower end, but also culls, which might be in that category either because of heavy wear or damage. You will have to decide what your tolerance is for wear or damage.

There are no doubt dealers who are sitting on thousands of low end coins who would love to connect with you.

The 1912 nickels I bought were not too expensive, but I don't recall how much (probably between $30 and $40).

No idea on the Indian cents.

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 said:
    Hello,

Update: Since it wasn't clear from my initial post, I'm looking for rolls of circulated coins, as long as the date is clear and a few other features are visible. I think that may mean Good condition but I'm not sure. Still learning...

Thank you!

Newbie2021

Your best bet is to go to coin stores that have mixed date V nickels in bins and sort through them. It should be cheaper as well. The dates of the Indian cents that you are looking to put together are doable but will take much more time. Keep in mind that while the Indian Cents are plentiful, those dates by quantity don’t walk into the shop very often. No dealer in my area will set that kind of stuff aside for customers so you will need to do the leg work.

Good luck.

@Newbie2021 said:
    Thank you! I wasn't sure if dealers sorted them by year. Did you mean $50 for the 1865s or is $500 correct? Also, would rolls of 1860 to 1865 Indian head cents be cheaper and easier to find than just 1865?

No. If you want good or better on those dates it's going to be around five HUNDRED dollars

@MasonG said:
    Seems like it would be easy enough to put rolls together but sellers probably don't do so as a matter of course.

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

I’m aware of what he said and I stand by my previous comment. Of all the sellers out there, what percentage do you think have (circulated) rolls of those dates?

Any seller with a retail B&M might have them. I was just handling a dealer estate and he had rolls or partial rolls of all of those coins.

The 1912s are easy. I'm sure I could put a full of them together from my box of V nickels. The 1865s are harder, of course.

@Colonialcoin said:

@Newbie2021 said:
    Hello,

Thank you!

Newbie2021

Your best bet is to go to coin stores that have mixed date V nickels in bins and sort through them. It should be cheaper as well. The dates of the Indian cents that you are looking to put together are doable but will take much more time. Keep in mind that while the Indian Cents are plentiful, those dates by quantity don’t walk into the shop very often. No dealer in my area will set that kind of stuff aside for customers so you will need to do the leg work.

Good luck.

I doubt any store is going to be under $1 in the V nickels.

@jmlanzaf said:
    Any seller with a retail B&M might have them.

I don't doubt it. My point is... I would be surprised if there were many (if any) dealers who purposely put rolls together with the idea they're going to have a buyer come looking for them.

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't doubt it. My point is... I would be surprised if there were many (if any) dealers who purposely put rolls together with the idea they're going to have a buyer come looking for them.

True. But anyone who has them would be glad to sell them.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

For sure! Lol. That said, I have never seen early dated Indian cents by the roll.

@Colonialcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

For sure! Lol. That said, I have never seen early dated Indian cents by the roll.

I have rolls of 1880s. I had partial rolls of 1859 to 1865, but I sold those. At around $10 each, not worth keeping them in inventory.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If dealers, as a matter of course, don't put these rolls together to sell, it would be kind of hard to direct an interested buyer to one who currently has the coins in hand, I'd think.

Now that I think of it, I believe that there is some sort of internet site in which dealers will put out notices saying that they are looking for quantities of certain items. Perhaps someone can steer you in that direction.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You'd be surprised. There is a market for anything if you look hard enough or are patient enough.

I had a project that required 1912 nickels and fortunately I found a couple sellers with solid date rolls.

I have another pending project that required 1906 nickels and I found three rolls on Ebay.

edited August 13, 2021 6:14PM

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If dealers, as a matter of course, don't put these rolls together to sell, it would be kind of hard to direct an interested buyer to one who currently has the coins in hand, I'd think.

I'm not sure who specializes. I'm sure Littleton has numerous rolls of both dates. It can't hurt to call a few larger places and ask. [Not me, the OP. LOL] The key is to know what the appropriate price is. Apparently the OP had no idea that 1865 Indians were a better date.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not sure who specializes. I'm sure Littleton has numerous rolls of both dates. It can't hurt to call a few larger places and ask. [Not me, the OP. LOL] The key is to know what the appropriate price is. Apparently the OP had no idea that 1965 Indians were a better date.

Actually, “1965” Indians are a MUCH better date!😉

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

.....The key is to know what the appropriate price is. Apparently the OP had no idea that 1965 Indians were a better date....
    Very tough to find in my experience. I gave up.

Have a nice day
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

This dealer might be able to help. He has lots of low grade Indians. Liberty 5c maybe even tho he doesn't have any 1912 listed.

http://www.alaskacoinexchange.com/Indian-Eagle-Cents.htm

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'm not sure who specializes. I'm sure Littleton has numerous rolls of both dates. It can't hurt to call a few larger places and ask. [Not me, the OP. LOL] The key is to know what the appropriate price is. Apparently the OP had no idea that 1965 Indians were a better date.

Actually, “1965” Indians are a MUCH better date!😉

Everyone's a critic.

I never said they couldn't be found. There's a difference between having these rolls for sale and deliberately putting them together to have in inventory in case somebody comes looking for them.

• Thanks to all for the terrific advice and information. Much appreciated!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Newbie2021 ... Check with Rick Snow at EagleEye rare coins.... He should be able to help with the IHC's. Cheers, RickO

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a remote shot that Jack Hunt ....might....either have or be able to direct you to one of the bulk buyers of circ stuff.

https://www.jackhunt.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file