Home Precious Metals

Gutter liner

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the dip?

Comments

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A bit of a dip.... Not really significant, but for those that have little or none, an opportunity. It will be going back up, and fairly quickly once it starts. Cheers, RickO

  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Been acting VERY sickly lately. I've been buying 90% like its going out of style.

    Dave

    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You can put lipstick on the pig but at the end of the day its still just a pig. All those poor Redditors heading to the LCS with their $5/oz premium 100oz bars. Gutter tuition for the new generation. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    More to come. Odd how people start dumping it on the drops. Fear is a powerful and ever enriching drug.

  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I go long term and watch the wheels go round and round. Relax, take it easy and enjoy the ride. Wheeeeee

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BadWithMoney said:

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    More to come. Odd how people start dumping it on the drops. Fear is a powerful and ever enriching drug.

    If people bought on the drops they would not be drops.

    When the price is going down, people are selling.
    But they can't sell unless there are buyers.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BadWithMoney said:

    @dcarr said:

    @BadWithMoney said:

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    More to come. Odd how people start dumping it on the drops. Fear is a powerful and ever enriching drug.

    If people bought on the drops they would not be drops.

    When the price is going down, people are selling.
    But they can't sell unless there are buyers.

    I don't know the exact mechanisms, but if it were one to one (sellers/buyers) the price would stay even. People selling when there are less buyers causes the price to drop. If it is still not one to one then it drops even more and so on until the price drops enough to create buyers. Or maybe I am full of crap. :)

    You are basically correct - just a different way to look at it.
    Buyers and sellers get together and decide on a price.
    If buyers are more motivated, the price will be higher.
    If sellers are more motivated, the price will be lower.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BadWithMoney said:

    @dcarr said:

    @BadWithMoney said:

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:
    More to come. Odd how people start dumping it on the drops. Fear is a powerful and ever enriching drug.

    If people bought on the drops they would not be drops.

    When the price is going down, people are selling.
    But they can't sell unless there are buyers.

    I don't know the exact mechanisms, but if it were one to one (sellers/buyers) the price would stay even. People selling when there are less buyers causes the price to drop. If it is still not one to one then it drops even more and so on until the price drops enough to create buyers. Or maybe I am full of crap. :)

    Perception of future price movement determines if current prices go up or down. A seller will lower his ask price if he thinks prices are going down. He will raise his ask price if he thinks prices are headed up. Same with a buyer and his buy price.

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price. Note how fear of future prices increases drives up current prices of consumer goods (i.e. toilet paper, lumber).

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price.

    And this is what youd get in your Utopian world of a stable dollar. The velocity of money would go to zero. There would be no increased demand for anything. Companies would not spend for capital improvement or efficiency. Innovation would be stifled. The economy would shrink. Unemployment would skyrocket. The government would get bigger.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price.

    And this is what youd get in your Utopian world of a stable dollar. The velocity of money would go to zero. There would be no increased demand for anything. Companies would not spend for capital improvement or efficiency. Innovation would be stifled. The economy would shrink. Unemployment would skyrocket. The government would get bigger.

    The economy has shrunk. Did you miss the past 18 months ? Government got bigger. Services got worse. Sometimes you confuse me , Dave. Unemployment ? Stimulus promotes laziness not economic recovery.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2021 8:07AM

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price.

    And this is what youd get in your Utopian world of a stable dollar. The velocity of money would go to zero. There would be no increased demand for anything. Companies would not spend for capital improvement or efficiency. Innovation would be stifled. The economy would shrink. Unemployment would skyrocket. The government would get bigger.

    You just confirmed everything I have been saying for years about an economy on FED life support and at the same time you try to build a case against price stability. lol. Face it, FED forced inflation is not a good thing - it is a hidden tax on your income that enables money printers to do what they do best. It is their way of getting you to pay their bill.

    competition, innovation and a healthy economy should drive demand, not money printing or fear. When demand is driven by artificial stimuli it creates price bubbles. A stable dollar results in stable prices, a stable economy, stable jobs and an environment for healthy, real growth. It encourages people to spend, it does not force them to.

    Money velocity? Ha Ha. Even with trillions of new money MV continues to die. MV does not drive an economy it reflects the health of an economy:

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price.

    And this is what youd get in your Utopian world of a stable dollar. The velocity of money would go to zero. There would be no increased demand for anything. Companies would not spend for capital improvement or efficiency. Innovation would be stifled. The economy would shrink. Unemployment would skyrocket. The government would get bigger.

    The economy has shrunk. Did you miss the past 18 months ? Government got bigger. Services got worse. Sometimes you confuse me , Dave. Unemployment ? Stimulus promotes laziness not economic recovery.

    I can see your confused because thats not what i wrote. Suppose we didnt print trillions over the last 18 months....no dilution of the dollar. Derryb would have his stable fiat and we'd be in a depression. Those that have dollars would never spend them so the economy would be destroyed. Yet people gotta eat, so the G would get bigger by providing for a basic income or for basic services. It would be bastardized form of socialistic communism.

    Amazing how some here view that as prefferable to our current system.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2021 6:13PM

    @cohodk said:

    @TwoSides2aCoin said:

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:

    As shown by the retail world of consumer goods, If all parties believed prices would remain stagnant there would be a constant, steady price.

    And this is what youd get in your Utopian world of a stable dollar. The velocity of money would go to zero. There would be no increased demand for anything. Companies would not spend for capital improvement or efficiency. Innovation would be stifled. The economy would shrink. Unemployment would skyrocket. The government would get bigger.

    The economy has shrunk. Did you miss the past 18 months ? Government got bigger. Services got worse. Sometimes you confuse me , Dave. Unemployment ? Stimulus promotes laziness not economic recovery.

    I can see your confused because thats not what i wrote. Suppose we didnt print trillions over the last 18 months....no dilution of the dollar. Derryb would have his stable fiat and we'd be in a depression. Those that have dollars would never spend them so the economy would be destroyed. Yet people gotta eat, so the G would get bigger by providing for a basic income or for basic services. It would be bastardized form of socialistic communism.

    Amazing how some here view that as prefferable to our current system.

    No one here wants to change our current system. Those awake simply want to change how the mad house is managed. Wall Street does not have our interests at heart, only theirs.

    derryb a socialist? LOL

    He's about as Libertarian and anti-Keynesian as they come.

    A stable dollar (sound money) is socialistic and creates economic depressions? LOL.

    Depressions are the result of worsening consumer confidence and they result in lack of demand and create unemployment. A stable dollar is the result of strong consumer confidence and is the medicine of economic ailments.

    People gotta eat? LOL

    Even in the face of trillions of new money we just permanently increased food stamps by 25%.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but we are already in a bastardized form of socialistic government. The FED is nothing more than the Economic Department of the US Government. But, instead of being told what to do by political leaders it's banker leaders tell the politicians what the FED is going to do. And it is obvious where FED loyalty lies. So yes, the current system is corrupt. Like anything else, you can't fix it til you know it's broken.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 4:12AM

    Did you get a 5.4 percent raise this year?

    If not then you are earning less than you were just one year ago.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:
    Did you get a 5.4 percent raise this year?

    If not then you are earning less than you were just one year ago.

    Considering COLA will be about 6% this year, real estate is up 20% and equities up 30% i think most have done quite well.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 2:51PM

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:
    Did you get a 5.4 percent raise this year?

    If not then you are earning less than you were just one year ago.

    Considering COLA will be about 6% this year, real estate is up 20% and equities up 30% i think most have done quite well.

    • If your COLA (which few non-government employees do in fact receive) is 5.4% you broke even but only before you consider the income tax on that COLA.
    • Your paper gains on your real estate get greatly reduced with commissions and expenses if you decide to sell your house in order to pay your bills, but then you gotta find another place to live at an even higher monthly payment that brings more new expenses.
    • Dumping their "appreciated in price" docile to pay those bills leaves most in worse financial straits; most will go prolong the agony and go through a forced sale (foreclosure) if the money is needed for loss of "real" income.
    • Most Americans don't have equities, they have monthly bills that are now costing them 5.4% more this year. Those that do have an equity based retirement plan could cash it in early to meet rising expenses, but they do so with a tax penalty and a hit on their future retirement income.
    • The only "most" that have done well are those at the top of economic trash heap. Your assumption that "most" have done well is nothing short of arrogance. Another "Ha, let them eat cake" moment for you and your cronies?

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2021 4:01PM

    @derryb said:

    @cohodk said:

    @derryb said:
    Did you get a 5.4 percent raise this year?

    If not then you are earning less than you were just one year ago.

    Considering COLA will be about 6% this year, real estate is up 20% and equities up 30% i think most have done quite well.

    • If your COLA (which few non-government employees do in fact receive) is 5.4% you broke even but only before you consider the income tax on that COLA.

    Nope...all retirees gonna more moola.... https://cnbc.com/2021/07/14/social-security-cost-of-living-increase-for-2022-may-be-largest-in-decades.html

    • Your paper gains on your real estate get greatly reduced with commissions and expenses if you decide to sell your house in order to pay your bills, but then you gotta find another place to live at an even higher monthly payment that brings more new expenses.

    Nope....why you gonna sell your house? Youre just grasping for straws to make an arguement.

    • Dumping their "appreciated in price" docile to pay those bills leaves most in worse financial straits; most will go prolong the agony and go through a forced sale (foreclosure) if the money is needed for loss of "real" income.

    Again...why you gonna sell your house?

    • Most Americans don't have equities, they have monthly bills that are now costing them 5.4% more this year. Those that do have an equity based retirement plan could cash it in early to meet rising expenses, but they do so with a tax penalty and a hit on their future retirement income.

    Yes, most Americans have exposure to the the stock market. https://usafacts.org/articles/what-percentage-of-americans-own-stock/

    • The only "most" that have done well are those at the top of economic trash heap. Your assumption that "most" have done well is nothing short of arrogance. Another "Ha, let them eat cake" moment for you and your cronies?

    Thinking that most have not benefitted is nothing short of ignorance.

    Most of us us are tired of handing out free cake.

    And, unfortunately, the only asset class lower in the last year are PMs. I can understand your contempt, but it is self-inflicted.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    Most of us us are tired of handing out free cake.

    And, unfortunately, the only asset class lower in the last year are PMs. I can understand your contempt, but it is self-inflicted.

    Your gains are the result of 'free cake'. The theft from the saving class that has kept interest rates artificially low is why your real estate gained 20%. The theft from the saving class that has pushed money into equities is why your equities are up 30%. The theft from the saving class is why your COLA will be 6%. As a majority of the country has neither savings, a pension or a home, they are forced to watch their standard of living decrease. This week the Feds announced a 25% increase in food stamps - I am sure those on the receiving end of the government largess are ecstatic at your returns...

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    Thinking that most have not benefitted is nothing short of ignorance.

    Thinking that most have benefited is arrogance.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:

    @cohodk said:

    Thinking that most have not benefitted is nothing short of ignorance.

    Thinking that most have benefited is arrogance.

    Thanks for proving "most" derby. Top 80% is doing better than bottom 20%. Your math appears to be accurate.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @taxmad said:

    @cohodk said:

    Most of us us are tired of handing out free cake.

    And, unfortunately, the only asset class lower in the last year are PMs. I can understand your contempt, but it is self-inflicted.

    Your gains are the result of 'free cake'. The theft from the saving class that has kept interest rates artificially low is why your real estate gained 20%. The theft from the saving class that has pushed money into equities is why your equities are up 30%. The theft from the saving class is why your COLA will be 6%. As a majority of the country has neither savings, a pension or a home, they are forced to watch their standard of living decrease. This week the Feds announced a 25% increase in food stamps - I am sure those on the receiving end of the government largess are ecstatic at your returns...

    Derryb posted that because of inflation, people lost money. I posted that because of inflation most people made more money. There will always be a bottom 20% , by definition there has to be. It also means there will always be a top 80% or a top 10%. Sure, i feel for people who dont have the means to improve their lives, but that will always be the case. Sounds like some want full-on economic equality regardless of work ethic or educational background. The countries that have tried this in past have failed miserably.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

    That was your takeaway? I thought you were just a professional troll, now I realize you actually believe what you post...

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2021 9:13AM

    @taxmad said:
    That was your takeaway? I thought you were just a professional troll, now I realize you actually believe what you post...

    And you should to. 😉

    But instead of belittling others opinions, why dont you offer a viable solution. What you got?

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I posted that because of inflation most people made more money.

    "most people" aren't in the 1% and the above chart isn't telling the story of the other 79%, but I've read more than once that over half the population can't scrape together $300 for a household emergency.

    "most people" aren't Bill Gates, buying large tracts of farmland while suggesting that "most people" should include eating more bugs in their diet.

    "most people" don't work in the banking system, getting paid to create money from nothing so that the banks can keep buying real assets (stock & bond markets) with fresh, new "money" from nowhere. Who keeps ownership of those assets? The privately-owned Fed member banks, and their corporate board members? Seems like a criminal enterprise to me.

    Most people don't make more money because of inflation, regardless of the propaganda you promote. But, let them eat cake, right?

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    61 million people receive social security and they will all get a nice raise.

    64% of people own a house and saw their values increase.

    55% of people own stocks.

    Many on this very forum have benefitted all 3 ways.

    What flavor cake would you like? 😉

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 11:53PM

    @cohodk said:
    61 million people receive social security and they will all get a nice raise.

    this is supplemental income that required working life contributions. My return on those contributions is a SS check for $262.

    64% of people own a house and saw their values increase.

    Value is not income. Value does not paying rising expenses. Value remains on the balance sheet, not in the pocket. According to my life insurance policy I'm worth $500K, but they won't let me spend it.

    55% of people own stocks.

    Mostly in retirement accounts that cannot be used early to pay climbing expenses without paying a hefty tax penalty.

    Many on this very forum have benefitted all 3 ways.

    the benefits you speak of have nothing to do with loss of real income due to inflation. You use them as a distraction from facing the fact that the FED is destroying wealth for the many while boosting it for the few.

    What flavor cake would you like? 😉

    Carrot with pecan ice cream thank you.

    The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:

    Carrot with pecan ice cream thank you.

    Cake and ice cream!!! Derryb loves money creation and inflation. Well done!!

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Sign In or Register to comment.