Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mini gold coins

My older sister works at a antique store and managed to find these two tiny gold coins. Since she knows I like to collect coins she brought them to me thinking that they were just gold plated. Turns out these coins are actually solid 22kt gold. Just thought I'd share this here since this is technically my first time I've ever dealt with gold bullion or anything like that. What do you guys think of these tiny things?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are tiny novelty tokens that, when originally sold, cost the buyer many multiples of their bullion content. I occasionally see pieces like this struck in platinum, as well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, just a modern novelty piece. At least it’s marked with the gold carat. Worth bullion only.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still, a neat item, real gold.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice little gold trinkets....Novelty items. If not interested in keeping them, trade for a real gold coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this tiny gold Krugerrand, no clue where I got it.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DynamiteDD said:
    My older sister works at a antique store and managed to find these two tiny gold coins. Since she knows I like to collect coins she brought them to me thinking that they were just gold plated. Turns out these coins are actually solid 22kt gold. Just thought I'd share this here since this is technically my first time I've ever dealt with gold bullion or anything like that. What do you guys think of these tiny things?

What kind of dog do you have?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@DynamiteDD said:

What kind of dog do you have?

I have three: an American Eskimo, a German Shepard mix, and a blue heeler mix.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

What do I think of them?

Where's the smelter?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are poor representations of the real thing.

Gold value only

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file