Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

CLOSED: AUGUST coin swap, $20 minimum FMV - be generous, be creative, be surprised!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:

@moursund said:
    What is that brown thing in the lower left? Indian Cent?

Nah, just a humble 1928-S Lincoln in Littleton plastic. It was there mixed in, so off it went.

I looked at this 1928-S LWC with a loupe and my guess/opinion is that it would grade out the same as the 1860 IHC at VG8. The summer 2021 Littleton catalog mailer sells the 1928-S average circulated for $7.25 each and Coinfacts lists the VG8 PCGS Certified having a $2 value. I buy from Littleton a lot and use their collector's list to help value my raw uncirculated coins.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

The summer 2021 Littleton catalog lists the same 1928 LWC for $7.25. I am guessing it would grade at VG8 and the PCGS certfied/graded value is $2.00. I use the Littleton catalog to help me value my raw uncirculated U.S. coins.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2021 10:00PM

Littleton is a very professional outfit and they provide good quality, but beware of using them as any kind of pricing reference. They overprice their material at nosebleed levels, way above the market.

I suppose they do this to pay for all the mass market advertising they do to the general public. It is for this reason that many of us have experience with Littleton from our novice days.

I like buying Littleton-packaged coins, but only do so on the secondary market, at more realistic prices, never directly from them.

(I think they’re good to sell to, though I have not done that.)

This spring I picked up a big bag of such stuff, wholesale, from a dealer friend. A couple of your new coins came from this lot.

Lots of people call Littleton crooks for the way they price their merchandise. I disagree- they are not crooked- just overpriced.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my package from @DontTellTheWife ,
    Super happy with it!

He must know I like Dan Carr stuff cause he sent me the two state quarters that Dan Carr designed - a matching number set slabbed by ICG. I have an ANACS slab with the Carr Signature Stamp, but these are my first that are truly signed… thank you.

Also he sent over this Lincoln medal which I really like as well.

Some of you may have seen that I make videos occasionally and have been mulling an idea featuring Lincoln, so this medal is kind of inspiring to me…

Thank you very much @DontTellTheWife
    and
    @moursund , your package is enroute to you and should be there before weeks end.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall sent me a great package...

A "Tulviing" slabbed proof Franklin, and a home-poured copper round.!

As it happens, I did not have a proof frankie, so it will join my Type display :smile:
    I also had not seen a Tulving holder before. Very cool!

Thanks!
    am

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really Happy you like it @moursund

Just a little backstory for anyone interested, my avatar is actually a proof Franklin half in a Tulving holder. (The story of their company is fascinating for those who are interested)

That and the Copper round bears the mark (logo if you will) of the YouTube channel I started up in 2020, MARVELOUS METALS (where I have been melting and pouring various metals)

I figured these to be a great way to participate in the coin swap while adding a bit of a personal touch.

Thanks again Moursund for hosting this “blast from the past”

-Luke

It's all about what the people want...

• Options

@LukeMarshall

Glad you like it!!!!!

It was off the path a bit , but not to much , just enough to be fun!!!

Thanks for sharing!!

• Options
    DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2021 5:21PM

And the story with that lincoln medal was that in 1909 to celebrate Lincoln s 100th birthday, they had a parade in NYC and thats what the medal is from.

I believe it came in 3 ( if not 4 different sizes) as that is the small (standard) and i also have. Medium, i think and a couple of large 3 inch medals

I had a great source for those and have handled dozens of them over the years, but sadly his shop is now closed, and the dealer that bought him out, sold me the remaining few that were left.

Enjoy!!!!