Home Sports Talk
Options

Fans talk about how bad the Orioles are, but have you checked out the Diamond Backs?

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Baltimore Orioles currently have a winning percentage .355, which is the worst in the American League. Oddly enough the Rangers aren't far behind at .358.

That looks really bad until you look at the Arizona Diamondbacks who are at .309. They are 35.5 games out of first place in the National League West. If they keep that up, the Diamondbacks will lose 115 games. That's not a record, but must be tough to be a fan of the team from the desert southwest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow setting the standard for a joke of a MLB team lol

• Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Baltimore is a joke -- the Orioles are a joke and so is the city of Baltimore. [I grew up in Balto city, and lived in the Balto suburbs for 40 years.] Baltimore will soon lose the Preakness too -- the Preakness will be moved -- mark my words.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭

Until Baseball goes to a hard salary cap like the NFL their will always be 10 to 15 teams with 0 chance of wining at the start of spring training every year. There will always be the same 6 teams that spend more money !!

• Options

I just checked the 2021 MLB Total Payroll numbers. The San Francisco Giants (my favorite team -- and they currently have the best record in baseball) have the 10th highest payroll. Their payroll is 159 million, compared to the Dodgers payroll of 267 million -- wow, huge difference! Cheer for the Giants -- root against the Dodgers!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2021 12:23PM

@charliej2356 said:
    Baltimore is a joke -- the Orioles are a joke and so is the city of Baltimore. [I grew up in Balto city, and lived in the Balto suburbs for 40 years.] Baltimore will soon lose the Preakness too -- the Preakness will be moved -- mark my words.

I really feel sorry for Baltimore. They made a big effort with their convention center, the inner harbor area, Camden Yards and the football stadium to make the city better. Now the thug element has taken over the city, and all of those good efforts seem to be going by the board.

My wife used to go with me to the Baltimore coin show. She used to look forward to going to certain parts of the city, including the great Italian restaurants in "Little Italy." Now she is refusing to go and does not want me to go because the crime problems.

@charliej2356 said:
    I just checked the 2021 MLB Total Payroll numbers. The San Francisco Giants (my favorite team -- and they currently have the best record in baseball) have the 10th highest payroll. Their payroll is 159 million, compared to the Dodgers payroll of 267 million -- wow, huge difference! Cheer for the Giants -- root against the Dodgers!

Just because you spend a lot money does not mean you will get a decent team. The management of the Tampa Rays does wonders with a comparatively low payroll, perhaps the lowest in the majors. The trouble is there might not be the fan base or the civic leadership to build a new stadium to keep the team in Tampa.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

You're right about the Tampa Bay Rays. According to my source, there are only 4 teams that have a lower payroll than the Rays -- and the Rays are really kicking butt this year!

Regarding Baltimore, your wife is wise to discourage you from visiting the city. It's truly a damn shame because as you mentioned, there are great restaurants in Little Italy.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn’t long ago the Orioles made the playoffs. It’s amazing to see how fast you can dismantle a team you can’t pay for. Shame. 2016 wild card game and 2014 championship series.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

fans talk about how bad the Orioles are, but have you checked out the Chicago Bears ?