DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 3:51PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options

I have not been a collector long enough in the series I collect to give any input myself.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 3:51PM

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 11:33AM

What most people don't realize, unlike US coins, you cannot just go to a big coin show and buy a coin like this. You have to wait for one to become available and then pay what it takes to own it. (Yes, even at twice what it last sold for if that's what it takes and you really want it.)

The last one of these that I remember being available (which is the same coin you show above) was over 14 years ago and it hammered for $10k. And that collector owned that coin for 21 years.

Edited to add: And waiting for one to become available usually means waiting for someone to pass away.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

There are a handful of German States sede vacante talers which will be a good challenge to find. Perhaps not rare in the purest definition, but they certainly attract attention when they are available.

Hildesheim 1688 taler

Hildesheim 1724 taler

Paderborn 1688 taler

Trier 1715 taler

Munster 1688 taler

Munster 1683 taler

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 1:43PM

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I bought this Gortyna half stater after waiting for nearly 10 years:

The bulk of my wantlist is comprised of "long wait" coins, either due to rarity or me being overly picky. I don't think it's necessarily a bad approach, although it's disappointing to only periodically get new boxes in the mail.

A gem : I will never feel tired of seeing it !

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

How about that 1893 S morgan on Great Collections MS 67??? Way out of my budget :(

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

An Arequipa Sunface 8R,

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a list of of specific Lima and Potosi pillars that I would like to buy. Most I I do not own but a low proportion are upgrades. Most have not come up for sale to my knowledge, since I have bene actively looking. A few did and I was not aware of it, at the time.

Any will do but of those I have seen before, one is the 1771 Peru 4R which sold on eBay the same day I bought my 1770 Bolivia 4R in March 2002. I should have bought both or the other one but did not want to spend the money. It sold for $411 and I'd grade it a better XF to mid-AU.

• Options

@WCC said:
    I have a list of of specific Lima and Potosi pillars that I would like to buy. Most I I do not own but a low proportion are upgrades. Most have not come up for sale to my knowledge, since I have bene actively looking. A few did and I was not aware of it, at the time.

Any will do but of those I have seen before, one is the 1771 Peru 4R which sold on eBay the same day I bought my 1770 Bolivia 4R in March 2002. I should have bought both or the other one but did not want to spend the money. It sold for $411 and I'd grade it a better XF to mid-AU.

$1500-2000 coin today

• Options

@pruebas said:
    What most people don't realize, unlike US coins, you cannot just go to a big coin show and buy a coin like this. You have to wait for one to become available and then pay what it takes to own it. (Yes, even at twice what it last sold for if that's what it takes and you really want it.)

The last one of these that I remember being available (which is the same coin you show above) was over 14 years ago and it hammered for $10k. And that collector owned that coin for 21 years.

Edited to add: And waiting for one to become available usually means waiting for someone to pass away.

I know that but was just wondering what coin or 2 coins people are waiting for to come for sale. After a full year collecting Mexican coins I realize that you can't just call someone and have them find what you want right away at least not for many many coins. I am OK with that makes it fun.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    An Arequipa Sunface 8R,

Any images of what it looks like or they look like?

• Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@Boosibri said:
    An Arequipa Sunface 8R,

Any images of what it looks like or they look like?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada Silver $1 1966 SMALL BEADS

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple came up in the most recent Herbert Gruen auction. I was handily outbid. Maybe I'll have some more money to spend in a few years when I get another opportunity.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1984 version of this ( 4 proof 1984 known)

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love the design, and seem to remember the '84 coming up some years ago but not the venue - good luck on that one!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I absolutely love the design, and seem to remember the '84 coming up some years ago but not the venue - good luck on that one!

Thank you, I have never seen one, but maybe, who knows..

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

1845 halfpenny. Someone sold me / sent me an altered 1855 a few years ago but made it right on the return (and then some) - honest person left it up to subordinates to vet incoming material.

Finally got a decent one at a Spink auction about 5 months after the fake incident. Been looking for 30 years for something other than a date only version or the very nice Petition Crown piece.

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

This resonates with me. Especially as someone who works at a coin shop. World stuff is less collected than US yes, but there's lots of it that's less available as well. Makes for a strange market sometimes.

I don't have any coins I am waiting for at the moment that aren't on the market. I do have lots I am looking for in nice condition and that feels like a similar issue at times as well.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"