Home Precious Metals
Options

Fun Facts About 2021 Olympic Metals Content!

WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2021 4:35PM in Precious Metals

I saw this on kitco website:

"Gold medal: Only 1.2% of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic gold medal is actually gold. The other 98.8% is silver.

Silver medal: The silver medal is the only one that truly lives up to its name. It has the same weight as gold and is made from 100% actual silver.

Bronze medal: The bronze medal is lighter and is made up of 95% copper and 5% zinc.

The data are provided by Compound Interest.

It is even more interesting how Japan got the needed metals to make approximately 5,000 medals that are currently being handed out at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

As part of the "Tokyo 2020 Medal Project," Japan collected approximately 78,985 tons of used small electronic devices. Out of those, 6.21 million were used mobile phones. These were collected all across Japan from April 2017 till the end of March 2019.

Japan managed to collect 32kg worth of gold, 3,500kg worth of silver, and 2,200kg worth of bronze.

"Every single medal to be awarded to athletes during the Tokyo 2020 Games is made from recycled metals."

I thought this was very interesting!🥇🥈🥉

Comments

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the fact they used recycled metals to cast the final product but who the hell would want a gold metal made out of 98.8% gutter metal? You'd think with the great silver "shortage" they'd be making all the metals gutter free. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2021 9:19AM

Thanks for the info. I always had my suspicions about the gold medal. Never thought it was pure gold....99%.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Thanks for the info. I always had my suspicions about the gold medal. Never thought it was pure gold....99%.

They say that is why the athletes used to bite them! To make sure they were gold.😂🤣

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2021 5:11PM

That’d be a massive amount of money

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it disappointing that these athletes, at the top of their sport, do not get real gold medals. At least above 90% gold. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

then usa athletes have to pay taxes on it.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2021 6:10PM

The last Olympic gold metals made of 100% gold were awarded in 1912 and weighed 0.85 ounces.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin