Home Sports Talk
Options

Why is Green Bay such a QB drama-queen magnet??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not many years ago the lead NFL drama-queen was Brett Favre, now it's Aaron Rodgers. Every time I go to a Sports News web-page there's a story about his ongoing saga. Is anyone else sick of it already?? What a distractive, self-consumed whack-job. I don't usually hope for someone's failure, but I hope Rodgers get's absolutely creamed at some point this season, hopefully sooner than later.

I will read those stories gleefully.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on its storied history with Vince Lombardi, and given that pro football is the only game in town, Green Bay is a bit like a New England Patriots want to be. They always have contending teams but seem to fall short. As their quarterbacks age, they become more antsy to “win the big one.” These quarterbacks seem to always put the blame on management for not assembling the right pieces.

There is really only one Tom Brady who seems to be able to create the long running magic. Part of the reason is that he is willing to give up some salary money and ego to have it happen. Brady is also a strong leader. None of the previous Green Bay quarterbacks have been on that level.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the tenure and similar to the yankees in baseball, it just is what it is.

we are sitting here talking about’em. so i guess it is true. theres no such thing as bad publicity! 😉

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would estimate that I have spent 60% of my life on Aaron Rodgers jokes, so yes, I am sick of him.

• Options

At one point in my life, my phone was filled with Aaron Rodgers memes and photos, and the photos were occupying so nuch space that my phone began to slow down, the man has become a menace to the society of my life, but he will not win, for I am Batman!

• Options

^^^^ Dang, that Batman looks like Aaron Rodgers, you see, he's won't leave me alone!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Green Bay is the common denominator. I am not saying that it is the cause, just pointing it out. A lot of factors could be at play. Either way, I am much more a Favre fan than a Rodgers fan.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Minnesota and used to spend a lot of time traveling through Wisconsin for work.

They literally __worshiped__ Favre and now it's Rogers. That might have something to do with it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

have you ever been there during the winter? they sometimes need crews come in and sweep the snow off the seats and haul it away.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Green Bay is considered way better than they really are, Yea they were a powerhouse back in the day but 2 Super Bowl wins since 1996/7? Eh overrated in my opinion

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Green Bay is considered way better than they really are, Yea they were a powerhouse back in the day but 2 Super Bowl wins since 1996/7? Eh overrated in my opinion

pats are on their way starting with last year. revisit thread in 15-20 years?

think they get more than 2 in the time frame? not hope, but actually do?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@perkdog said:

I'd love for NE to win two SBs in the next 20 years. That would be great.

• Options

the odds are stacked pretty heavy against ANYONE winning two SB's in the next 20 years. sure, everyone believes KC will do that easily, but with the way the game has changed(and keeps changing) a Team such as Detroit or Cleveland could just as easily accomplish that feat. some Team will, perhaps even 2-3 Teams, but predicting that is near impossible since the season outcome for everyone comes down to ONE PLAYER and A LOT OF GOOD FORTUNE.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@perkdog said:

They are definitely in for a reality check and it will be tough to continue their success. Do I think they can win 2 Super Bowls in the next 15-20 years? How the hell would I know, that’s a huge time frame with so many possibilities nobody can answer without it being a “Bet” really. Put it this way, as much as I love the Patriots, if I never see them win another Super Bowl I won’t even care really, they have brought so much fun and exciting times over the past 20 years I’m satisfied. The Pats really run of success is so much better than Green Bay’s ever was

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Not many years ago the lead NFL drama-queen was Brett Favre, now it's Aaron Rodgers. Every time I go to a Sports News web-page there's a story about his ongoing saga. Is anyone else sick of it already?? What a distractive, self-consumed whack-job. I don't usually hope for someone's failure, but I hope Rodgers get's absolutely creamed at some point this season, hopefully sooner than later.

I will read those stories gleefully.

Al H.

That's just sick to wish bad karma on someone. You have absolutely no knowledge of his situation. Maybe... Just maybe.. the front office in Green Bay is not exactly player friendly. He has never embarrassed the Pack or the state of Wisconsin. He is entitled to negotiate any way he wants. It's the media that made the big deal because they need material.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Green Bay is also a very good QB magnet.

How many teams have had 3 as good?

I hated writing that.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I hated writing that.

Good point really. The Patriots and all their success is 1, the Cowboys is 1, the Steelers is 2, Denver 1 ( I don’t count Manning ) Colts is 2. No team comes to mind that has had 3..

• Options

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I hated writing that.

Good point really. The Patriots and all their success is 1, the Cowboys is 1, the Steelers is 2, Denver 1 ( I don’t count Manning ) Colts is 2. No team comes to mind that has had 3..

I'm curious (and more than a little worried) to see what Rogers does this year.

I was really hoping he would be playing elsewhere this year.

• Options

@streeter said:
    He has never embarrassed the Pack or the state of Wisconsin. He is entitled to negotiate any way he wants. It's the media that made the big deal because they need material.

>
    I haven't seen any actual quotes from Rogers saying anything negative.

Too bad, maybe that would have gotten him traded.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I hated writing that.

I'm curious (and more than a little worried) to see what Rogers does this year.

I was really hoping he would be playing elsewhere this year.

Hopefully he sucks, I cannot stand him

• Options

@perkdog said:

@blurryface said:

@perkdog said:

They are definitely in for a reality check and it will be tough to continue their success. Do I think they can win 2 Super Bowls in the next 15-20 years? How the hell would I know, that’s a huge time frame with so many possibilities nobody can answer without it being a “Bet” really. Put it this way, as much as I love the Patriots, if I never see them win another Super Bowl I won’t even care really, they have brought so much fun and exciting times over the past 20 years I’m satisfied. The Pats really run of success is so much better than Green Bay’s ever was

i agree and glad to hear a pats fan thats based in reality. seriously. and i think keets really hit the nail on the head.

• Options

There just is something about Rodgers that rubs many people the wrong way. His aloofness? Ya probably. His treatment of people? Definitely.
    He has personality quirks. That's an understatement. But those are his cross to bear and the media, bless their hearts, have done their damnest to portray Rodgers as an oddball....

All he really did was to throw an MVP year at the Pack front office when the plan was to phase him out with his huge non guaranteed contract. He turned it into a guaranteed contract.

The Pack front office blew the Favre situation. They screwed up the Rodgers deal. I ask, why hasn't the media taken a hard critical look at the Pack front office? I'll tell you why. Any sports reporter who does will be blackballed and will be running a forklift for Costco in two weeks.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:
    There just is something about Rodgers that rubs many people the wrong way. His aloofness? Ya probably. His treatment of people? Definitely.
    He has personality quirks. That's an understatement. But those are his cross to bear and the media, bless their hearts, have done their damnest to portray Rodgers as an oddball....

All he really did was to throw an MVP year at the Pack front office when the plan was to phase him out with his huge non guaranteed contract. He turned it into a guaranteed contract.

The Pack front office blew the Favre situation. They screwed up the Rodgers deal. I ask, why hasn't the media taken a hard critical look at the Pack front office? I'll tell you why. Any sports reporter who does will be blackballed and will be running a forklift for Costco in two weeks.

That’s all well and good and I agree with it to a point but let’s look at a couple things that are not off field quirky things, Rodgers believes he should dictate to the front office as to who they should draft and or bring in for free agents? He never takes responsibility for any of the Packers losses and publicly throws teammates under the bus? He thinks he is the best QB in the league and has been to ONE Super Bowl? win, he gets so fixated on one WR that’s why it’s a revolving door for other WR’s and TE’s there. It was Jordy Nelson for years and now it’s Davante Adams, I think he cares more about stats and throwing to elite players to avoid throwing interceptions really. Oh and going back on stuff that is his cross to bear, you forgot to add that he is estranged from his own family lol

• Options

.......................and in the midst of all this he threw "Jeopardy" into the mix, as if that helped. no, he's a drama-queen deluxe who sort of deserves whatever happens to him since he's helped bring it all on and cares little about the way it has affected the Packers.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    .......................and in the midst of all this he threw "Jeopardy" into the mix, as if that helped. no, he's a drama-queen deluxe who sort of deserves whatever happens to him since he's helped bring it all on and cares little about the way it has affected the Packers.

he was great as a jeopardy contestant , as a host not so much

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

were yer ears burnin ?

good to see you amigo

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@keets said:

You best be a regular again come NFL start

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@keets said:

You best be a regular again come NFL start

ive watched zero sports for months now probably why i drifted off. Cam Newton is going to be our starting QB so I may not drift back in :s

• Options

Perkdog
    Why would it interest anyone if he is talking to certain members of his family? I don't get that at all. You do know that he's from a family of near hillbillys. I'd sometimes distance myself also. Many times petty jealousies or money divides a family. Or politics. Did Jimmy Carter invite Billy to the White House? Does Hillary talk to her brother? How does Meghan Markle deal with her relatives? Does Donald Trump even talk to his sister, a Federal judge?

Rodgers didn't particularly care for Sonny Ykes when dkes was the coach at Cal. Mainly because every off season Sonny boy was trolling Texas looking for his next gig and Sonny boy caused a lot of problems at Cal. A L.O.T. Rodgers saw what he was up to and withheld a million buck donation until dykes was gone.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2021 1:35PM

@streeter said:
    Perkdog
    Why would it interest anyone if he is talking to certain members of his family? I don't get that at all. You do know that he's from a family of near hillbillys. I'd sometimes distance myself also. Many times petty jealousies or money divides a family. Or politics. Did Jimmy Carter invite Billy to the White House? Does Hillary talk to her brother? How does Meghan Markle deal with her relatives? Does Donald Trump even talk to his sister, a Federal judge?

Rodgers didn't particularly care for Sonny Ykes when dkes was the coach at Cal. Mainly because every off season Sonny boy was trolling Texas looking for his next gig and Sonny boy caused a lot of problems at Cal. A L.O.T. Rodgers saw what he was up to and withheld a million buck donation until dykes was gone.

I don’t believe his family is actually hillbillies, I think they are educated and play sports ect.. but your right to a point but in my opinion unless your family is doing bad things I think it takes a special kind of jerk to distance yourself from your family, I think the crime is his brother mentioned something about his relationships or something IDK I don’t really care it just struck me as typical for Rodgers who is a weird dude. None of it really matters, I just don’t like the guy and hope he never wins a second Super Bowl. I don’t lose sleep over him but I have a right to chose to dislike the guy.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

ive watched zero sports for months now probably why i drifted off. Cam Newton is going to be our starting QB so I may not drift back in :s

dude i have been a bears fan since the late 70s. with the quarterbacks we've trotted out over the past 30+ years i should be so drunk i can't even type

get your ass back over here

• Options

Perkdog
    I've come to the conclusion that Rodgers is a loner and really doesn't like people.

Doesn't bother me. However, he's done a lot of teams good.

Have a nice day
  • Options

right now you can only be mad at family members over vaccination status . :D

• Options

@streeter said:
    Perkdog
    I've come to the conclusion that Rodgers is a loner and really doesn't like people.

Doesn't bother me. However, he's done a lot of teams good.

Actually he has done the Packers good, I’m sure the Vikings and their fans would say he has not done their team good lol. But hey I’m not arguing your points, really unless a guy is a criminal his personal life should not matter. He is a HOF QB and I certainly respect his talent. The rest is just opinions. 🍻

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Based on its storied history with Vince Lombardi, and given that pro football is the only game in town, Green Bay is a bit like a New England Patriots want to be.

Uh, no.

Patriots - 6 championships in ~62 years gives an average of 1 championship around every 10 years.

Packers - 13 championships in ~103 years gives an average of 1 championship around every 8 years, including 3 in a row, which no other team has done.

Packers publicly owned, can't be moved. Green Bay is very happy not being like New England, or any other pro team in the country. Thank you.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options

@ADG said:

@BillJones said:
    Based on its storied history with Vince Lombardi, and given that pro football is the only game in town, Green Bay is a bit like a New England Patriots want to be.

Uh, no.

Patriots - 6 championships in ~62 years gives an average of 1 championship around every 10 years.

Packers - 13 championships in ~103 years gives an average of 1 championship around every 8 years, including 3 in a row, which no other team has done.

Packers publicly owned, can't be moved. Green Bay is very happy not being like New England, or any other pro team in the country. Thank you.

Since the Super Bowl era the Patriots blow away the Packers in every category. It’s not even remotely close and nearly every Packer fan would love to have the same success as New England. Green Bay is overrated and that is a fact

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    right now you can only be mad at family members over vaccination status . :D

I missed you @bronco2078 . Let me buy you a virtual shirley temple to welcome you back.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@ADG said:

@BillJones said:

Uh, no.

Since the Super Bowl era the Patriots blow away the Packers in every category. It’s not even remotely close and nearly every Packer fan would love to have the same success as New England. Green Bay is overrated and that is a fact

Two great franchises. I agree. I wouldn't trade our success in NE for the success of any other team.

Also, as long-time Patriots fans know, the Patriots had a long and storied history before the real winning started. It was always great to be a Pats fan win or lose.

• Options

most every Team has its own storied history or "glory years" period. unfortunately for many of them that happened many years ago. as the NFL moved to Divisional play and Wild Cards the playoffs changed and altered the Draft. someone can figure it out, but since 1970 I wonder how many eventual Champions were the Team with its best Conference record.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:

@BillJones said:

Uh, no.

It’s not what have done over 103 years; it’s what you have done lately. The Red Sox won more championships in the early years of the American League, but no one but the history buffs know that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2021 9:54AM

O. p..... Well, it starts without having an owner and 30 degrees below... And since everyone is inside... You believe you're The Best thing to hit green bay and ...