Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1974 Roosevelt missing clad layer and possibly reverse struck thru grease?

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen a dime reverse like this even on the missing clad layers. Any opinions as to what it could be?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you get a brighter shot of the obverse?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine better?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah

Not sure what’s going on

Disturbance at rim both sides

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it is missing a clad layer and weakly struck due to the missing metal. Missing clad layer quarters are often similarly weakly struck, as are coins struck on thin stock.

• Options

@IkesT I have 2 dimes and a quarter missing clad layers. none look like this.Also it is the bottom 1/3 of the torch completely missing. It seems like struck thru grease or something.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insufficient metal to fill out the dies. Weigh it, my bet is that it is lightweight.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @IkesT I have 2 dimes and a quarter missing clad layers. none look like this.Also it is the bottom 1/3 of the torch completely missing. It seems like struck thru grease or something.

Looks like a weak strike to me.

• Options

@MarkKelley i don't have a scale. It would be lighter because of the missing clad layer.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    Looks like it is missing a clad layer and weakly struck due to the missing metal. Missing clad layer quarters are often similarly weakly struck, as are coins struck on thin stock.

This. The weakness on the reverse is opposite the highest part of the head, which absorbs a lot of metal and does not leave enough force to strike up the reverse opposite it.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the obverse as red as it is depicted in the first picture? The second picture seems to be very different. Just lighting?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko it looks like the first pic.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234.... Thanks for the reply... wow... bet it really stands out then. Where did you find it?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko I got it at a coin shop about 30 years ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file