Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Sucrets tin bad for copper?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a bad plan?

I'd hate to come back in a few years and find my indian heads all green and fuzzy...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they were MS red coins, I would say that storing them like that would be a very bad idea. In the 18th century, some tin medals were produced from planchets that had small copper plugs inserted into them--the copper acted as a sacrificial anode, preventing the tin from being oxidized (tin pest is black). Your Indian Head cents are already oxidized and have additional dirt and whatnot on their surfaces, so it won't matter. This said, I wouldn't store any coins like that, no matter what the container is made of.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    If they were MS red coins, I would say that storing them like that would be a very bad idea. In the 18th century, some tin medals were produced from planchets that had small copper plugs inserted into them--the copper acted as a sacrificial anode, preventing the tin from being oxidized (tin pest is black). Your Indian Head cents are already oxidized and have additional dirt and whatnot on their surfaces, so it won't matter. This said, I wouldn't store any coins like that, no matter what the container is made of.

Hmm... how would you store your indian cents, worth a couple of bucks apiece? I don't much feel like putting them in flips.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

Put them in flips. Don't treat them like loose pocket change.

• Options

Too nice to spend, too common to sell, too cool to give away, too much bother to put into individual flips. :smiley:

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with wizard coin supply or someone like that. The plastic tubes would be better. Now for the cheesy movie type quote “you got to ask yourself it putting metal in metal really a good idea?””well is it?”😂😂😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sucrets Tins Rock Dude

Wat kinda grandma you got anyways? Doesn't have a sucret full ol Indian cents

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

In general, metal on metal is a bad plan. Coin tubes. Cheap and convenient.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right, if not 2x2's then plastic Cent rolls. BCW makes great screw top rolls

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is bad for copper, well almost everything.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would never recommend metal anything. You run the risk of a redox reaction. That said, I think those "tins" are aluminum, aren't they? If so, they are perfectly safe.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2021 4:17PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I would never recommend metal anything. You run the risk of a redox reaction. That said, I think those "tins" are aluminum, aren't they? If so, they are perfectly safe.

Pretty sure they are ferrous metal - then the newer ones are now plastic. I doubt you can stamp aluminum that thin and have it retain it's form and function. Not to mention the cost.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, I and my friends who collected coins would store miscellaneous low-value coins in cigar boxes. Seemed to work well and you could get the cigar boxes for free at tobacco shops.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Putting...coins...in...flips....just...too...difficult.

Phew, i need a rest.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 5:13PM

I had a tin box that I carried in my truck that I put junk in. I had a roll of 1996 Kennedy halfs that I broke open and left in the box. The truck got old so I just used it for work around the ranch. I forgot about the tin box. 15 years later I saw the box behind the seat. Wow! Those Kennedy halfs were toned a magnificent blue! Beautiful! I think it was a combination of dry weather and heat.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 5:17PM

• Options

@philographer said:

Phew, i need a rest.

OTOH, opening a Sucrets tin might suppress one's urge to cough. :p

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@philographer said:

Phew, i need a rest.

So would a laxative...c'mon man, you had to have heard of that joke?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

@Sonorandesertrat said:

@philographer said:

Phew, i need a rest.

So would a laxative...c'mon man, you had to have heard of that joke?

LOL! Yes, My Dad always told that - Forget cough syrup - take a laxative then you'll be scared to cough!

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Pretty sure they are ferrous metal - then the newer ones are now plastic. I doubt you can stamp aluminum that thin and have it retain it's form and function. Not to mention the cost.

Yah, i just stuck a magnet against one of the sucrets tins. Steele, as expected.

The problem with putting the indian pennies into a tube is, you can't open the lid and see a nice jumble of indian cents. They are cool to look at, but not so much when in a tube.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 7:12PM

How about in something plastic, like a soap dish or mini-Tupperware?

edited to add:
    Jeez :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You might be right. I haven't handled Sucrets in decades.

• Options

@moursund said:
    {The problem with putting the indian pennies into a tube is, you can't open the lid and see a nice jumble of indian cents. They are cool to look at, but not so much when in a tube.}

True - well then you can spend the extra moolah and get an Dansco Blank Cent album - around 25$ if you can find one. I bought one for my FE coins and have extra room for the Indian Cents...........

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put your coins in Duke Cannon Oak Barrel tins. I don't know if it's good for copper but your pennies will smell MANLY....and.... The chicks at the register will dig it when you make exact change. 😍💕💋

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend an album, if they are album extras, then a plastic coin tube would be next. If you just like them loose, than a mini plastic food container (they come in all sizes). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@Steven59 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Yah, i just stuck a magnet against one of the sucrets tins. Steele, as expected.

The problem with putting the indian pennies into a tube is, you can't open the lid and see a nice jumble of indian cents. They are cool to look at, but not so much when in a tube.

You run the risk of the coins sliding around, over each other as well as the steel container. The more you move/open/carry the container, the more movement/sliding you'll have. In addition, there is a chance that there is contamination on the steel surface from the old sucrets or wrappers. And the steel can rust over time.

IMO, that's not a good long term storage option. But its your collection, so do what you wish. Choose wisely.

Honestly, if it's too much trouble putting a coin in a flip or 2x2, I would hate to know your thoughts on albums.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@moursund said:

@Steven59 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You run the risk of the coins sliding around, over each other as well as the steel container. The more you move/open/carry the container, the more movement/sliding you'll have. In addition, there is a chance that there is contamination on the steel surface from the old sucrets or wrappers. And the steel can rust over time.

IMO, that's not a good long term storage option. But its your collection, so do what you wish. Choose wisely.

Honestly, if it's too much trouble putting a coin in a flip or 2x2, I would hate to know your thoughts on albums.

For my common Buffalo nickels and Indian cents I should probably get some of those small self-adhesive flips, and some sheets to hold them.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recommend self adhesive 2x2s. There is a potential for the adhesive to off gas and/or react with the coin long term.

I prefer the regular 2x2s (make sure you crimp the staples) or Mylar plastic flips, like Saf-Flip. DO NOT use any plastic flips that contain PVC, as the plasticizer that makes these soft and pliable can react and form hydrochloric acid (which doesn't play well with coins)

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like everything is bad for copper…

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, actually Sucrets is good for a coffer .......................oh my bad :blush:

Steve

Promote the Hobby

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file