Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1913-P Lincoln Cent, I just received this today, where on your scale is this one?

MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2021 2:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Starting off with,
Again this is an upgrade for a poor condition one that I had in my album.
I'm very happy with it for its intended purpose, I paid $17.00 for it!
about the coin,
there is slight signs of mint luster (a tad bit of a glow) around Lincoln, the date, and around the inner edge of the rim.
Not sure about the black on the reverse but its not the metal, its seem to be just maybe coloring (toning) that way?
Here are the pictures of it that we've been calling "In Hand Color" taken in natural light.
The lower set of pictures of the coin are for details of the coin for aspect of wear or faults, not color or metal surface.
Thanks Again!
EDITED! Added Much Better Pictures. (this coin deserved better) The coin is laying on a coin flip, not in one.

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
Thomas Jefferson!

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35 borderline XF40

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF40. Nice looking album coin based on the first photos. The second set of photos seems to have lighting that accentuates every little circulation mark and throws off the color as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    VF35 borderline XF40

Thanks (Again)
    Did you see the OP after I just edited in new MUCH better pictures?

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    edited July 31, 2021 3:04PM

@291fifth said:
    EF40. Nice looking album coin based on the first photos. The second set of photos seems to have lighting that accentuates every little circulation mark and throws off the color as well.

Yea, the bottom set was done with a cheap digital microscope, BUT! in the time you made your comment I did EDIT in much better In Hand Color pictures of the coin, I was able to get it outside while it was overcast and those pictures are SPOT on what the coin looks like (that is if you didn't know I swapped pictures yet)?

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    XF

Well, at lest I put up some pictures good enough to work with this time.
    Thanks Mark ;)

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easily an XF 40. Could be a 45. Nice circulated coin.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF 40

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 and on a good day might grade XF45. 7 and 10 o'clock die cracks show up better in the second pics. Nice album coin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 7:41PM

OP, don't be mad, yet I find the original top set of photos (vs yours, lower) slightly better. Looks more like a real Lincoln cent. Neat coin though and for under $20. you did well.

peacockcoins

• Options

@braddick said:
    OP, don't be mad, yet I find the original top set of photos (vs yours, lower) slightly better. Looks more like a real Lincoln cent. Neat coin though and for under $20. you did well.

Get mad, I have to agree LoL! I have two ways to take a picture of a coin, my 10 year old Sony Pocket digital camera, or a little digital computer microscope. Well, with the camera sometimes I can pull off a really nice picture, but everything has to be RIGHT, so, when I get a GOOD picture (Photograph) with it, its more on accident, in most all other times except for color & harshness the microscope is consistent. I don't have a smartphone so, that's not an option.
    For all intent purpose for the OP the microscope second set of pictures is really worthless, but! the GOOD pictures were edited in later, my first ones with the camera wasn't very good at all, they were okay color in hand, so the microscope pictures were necessary for more detail. I'd really like to find a better way to CONSISTENTLY get Photos (not pictures) of coins.
    Thanks for the compliment on it being a good coin for a good price, I'm learning to train my eyes to see more coin details, so, I'm able to pick up some pretty nice deals on buying RAW circulated coins.
    Trust me, the members here have been a BIG help in my learning. My Hat's off to them, along with many thanks!

Thomas Jefferson!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

45 to me

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 40 to me.... Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights