Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 law enforcement five dollar UNC backordered- a new deep key?

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2021 10:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The last reported mintage was 1,197. I wonder if that’s the end of the sales or if they’ll return. If that’s the end, it would be a new key by far.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Good catch!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be... certainly will command some premiums for a while.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess this early they will make more. Since portions of the sale go to some fund. That is also on the hook if they don’t sell enough.

Martin

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:
    My guess this early they will make more. Since portions of the sale go to some fund. That is also on the hook if they don’t sell enough.

Martin

I do not believe that the organization is "on the hook if they don't sell enough". If the Mint does not sell enough units to recover all program costs, it just means that no surcharges will be paid to the designated recipient organization.

"By law, the Mint must recover all its costs associated with a commemorative coin program before it is authorized to pay program surcharges to the designated recipient organization. This includes the cost of production and assembly of unsold inventory and the costs associated with melting excess inventory after each program has concluded."
    Link

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

It just was not a very popular coin. Even extremely low mintages don't always result in high prices, without some real buyer demand.

Many modern gold commemoratives and spouses just don't get the buying or flipping attention, like the new eagles and silver dollars do with mintages more than 100 times higher.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:

Martin

No one is on the hook for anything..l

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect they will make more. Most likely mintage is limited to what is minted in the year 2021; there are nearly 5 months left in the year so plenty of time to make another run.

----- kj
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plenty of time, until they push for another covid shut down.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 1:08PM

I’m hoping @dcarr will come up with his version of a Law Enforcement coin. I’ll be a buyer cause I know for sure it’ll be cool.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Less than 2,000 is a lot when their is less than 200 people who want them.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD thanks for the clarification. On the hook was probably the wrong word.

Thanks
    Martin

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an example of another coin where most of the demand is potentially due to the low mintage as opposed to actually wanting it as a collectible.

There may be 1197 collectors or some fraction who want it as a collectible, but I'm very confident hardly any (if any at all) want it badly enough a large premiums to the issue price, unless they can get their money back later.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file