Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1876S "BOX" Dollar

gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one of the 2 Box dollars I have. The other is a 1877 S made into a locket with an old photo inside.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like that one was made for a photo as well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth I would think that they were all made for photos. I doubt anyone smuggled opium in them even though many people call them opium dollars.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @291fifth I would think that they were all made for photos. I doubt anyone smuggled opium in them even though many people call them opium dollars.

Every one I have seen appears to have been made for photos. The "opium dollar" bit was likely a promotional ploy to make them seen more exotic to potential buyers.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth If I can get the 1877S box dollar open I will post it. That one has the original photo inside. Hard to get these things opened up sometimes.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

They usually had a lock of hair or a photo of a loved one. Occasional they had an XXX rated pic inside.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are cool 🌛

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this one many years ago from a dealer's bid wall.

Of course the "romantic story" is that these were used to smuggle opium. The more common contents were the photo of a loved one or something similar.

I have seen Columbian Half Dollars that have been turned into box coin pieces.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was given a British coin by a friend of my wife.... She knew I was a coin collector, and had "This old coin". I looked at it, saw it was 'Two obverses'...then looked at the edge. She was amazed when I opened it, and found a Kennedy half dollar inside. I still have it. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file