Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Greetings From A US Coin Collector

Hello All, I'm new to the forums and thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Vincent and I'm from Scranton PA. I've been collecting US coins since I was a young teenager. My interest lays with US coins. I'm currently working on obtaining a full Franklin Half Collection (uncirculated or better). I look forward to sharing with everyone here and learning.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums! :)

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Would you care to post a favorite picture of a Franklin 😊. ( this is a magical place I’ve seen threads just disappear 😂). Enjoy I’m sure you will like it here

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vinceuher Welcome. Franklin halves are nice.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    vinceuhervinceuher Posts: 10 ✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Welcome. Would you care to post a favorite picture of a Franklin 😊. ( this is a magical place I’ve seen threads just disappear 😂). Enjoy I’m sure you will like it here

I certainly will. :smile:

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vinceuher.... Welcome aboard. Franklin halves are nice coins... I have a set I put together years ago... nothing special, just raw, circulated halves. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a picture, but my Doily slab happens to be a Franklin half.

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

👋

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard. I don't have a Franklin in my US Type set, but I am looking forward to picking one up when I find one with the look I like. Feel free to post some photos of the ones you have.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and enjoy the show!

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum :)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 8:20AM

A lot of reasons to like Franklins. They're big & easy to see, they turn pretty colors & the man was very interesting.

Welcome to the forum. :)

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome. I used to live in the Poconos, now just south of Allentown. I just finished my Franklin set (circulated)! Do you get you coins locally or from the internet?

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankies themselves I'm sorta meh about. But I "collect" enthusiasts. Welcome to the Forum.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 8:42AM

CJ 'collects' enthusiasts? Rut-roh.
    Is he the Pied Piper, Michael Jackson, or Dracula? :D

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Vince. I'm a Franklin fan too....Particularly love the cameo proofs!

• Options
    edited July 29, 2021 9:11AM

@Russell12 said:
    Welcome. I used to live in the Poconos, now just south of Allentown. I just finished my Franklin set (circulated)! Do you get you coins locally or from the internet?

There is a local coin dealer here in Scranton, Mace Coins, that I use, but I have purchased coins online.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just here for your "like". :#:D

P.S. Welcome! A bunch 'o good folks here.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, @vinceuher !
    My avatar’s my favorite Franklin (that I own). Finished my proof set last year with that coin. I’m pretty far into an uncirculated set (64FBL or higher, not all FBL) but haven’t focused on it much lately.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

Vincent! Enjoy!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard Vince!!!!

This is a Great place to be a member of. If you have questions, ask them, and hopefully somebody will know the answer and post it.

Franklins are a Great series. As you might guess by my avatar, I like them a LOT. If you have any questions on them feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer if I know the answer. Currently I've got one high grade slabbed toned business strike set, one high grade slabbed cameo proof set and three raw Dansco sets... (you'll find a lot of collectors on these boards have a "touch" of OCD about the series they collect ;) ).

Remember, the most important thing about coin collecting is to HAVE FUN!!!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcomw to the forums this is an awesome place to learn as well

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. Do you know the Dunder Mifflin crew?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 11:54AM

Welcome, I collect a little bit of everything. Here’s a picture of my current favorite Franklin for you 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 2:09PM

There are a few decent coin shows a year in Pittston. Scranton coin club, Wilkes Barre coin club and Wyoming Valley coin club hold them. Lots of dealers, check them out if you can.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome---fresh meat!
    Your 'care' package should arrive in about 1 month: spare undies, flak jacket, night vision goggles, straw plus spitballs, and a thick packet of incriminating posts from Forum members (this writer excluded).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

My birth year and my only one. So far

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 5:08PM

Welcome @vinceuher to the forum. Look forward to your posts. Hope you like other coins-pre 48 perhaps. Here's one @JoeyCoins gave me last week for a contest he had. Very nice coin.
    Jim

Edited to add: Here are 2 of my birthyear Frankies.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 8:35PM

Well, welcome Vincent! This is a GOOD place!

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forum! I like Frankies too, generally with a little bit of color.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, lots to learn and discuss here.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 7:37PM

@divecchia said:
    Welcome aboard. I don't have a Franklin in my US Type set, but I am looking forward to picking one up when I find one with the look I like. Feel free to post some photos of the ones you have.

Donato

Be careful when you do get one. In my Type Set, I have a nice Proof Franklin, but unfortunately on the reverse there’s a large distraction, some kind of scratch. It starts at the bottom of the middle of the bell, and moves upward, slightly to the left. It makes it look like the bell is cracked.

(lol)

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum !
    I've had some great strawberry pie in Scranton. It was at a restaurant called "Elby's", on Rt. 81.
    It may have been part of the 'Bob's Big Boy' chain.....
    Good luck with the Franklin's !

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@SkyMan said:
    Welcome aboard Vince!!!!

This is a Great place to be a member of. If you have questions, ask them, and hopefully somebody will know the answer and post it.

Franklins are a Great series. As you might guess by my avatar, I like them a LOT. If you have any questions on them feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to answer if I know the answer. Currently I've got one high grade slabbed toned business strike set, one high grade slabbed cameo proof set and three raw Dansco sets... (you'll find a lot of collectors on these boards have a "touch" of OCD about the series they collect ;) ).

Remember, the most important thing about coin collecting is to HAVE FUN!!!

Thank you!

• Options

@Aotearoa said:
    Welcome. Do you know the Dunder Mifflin crew?

LOL. I did meet most of the actors when they came to town. All really cool people!

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have several family members that went to U of S

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! Franklins are one of the first silver coin series I started on for the Whitman album. The nice thing about the Franklin set is that completion is within reason for almost any collector. There are no major showstoppers for that album and at the bare minimum you will have $17.50 face value of silver when completed!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Vince,

I thought I knew a lot about coins until I joined here. There are some extremely knowledgeable members on this board. You'll be amazed to find out what you didn't know you didn't know.

Mark

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Be careful when you do get one. In my Type Set, I have a nice Proof Franklin, but unfortunately on the reverse there’s a large distraction, some kind of scratch. It starts at the bottom of the middle of the bell, and moves upward, slightly to the left. It makes it look like the bell is cracked.

(lol)

I had a crazy uncle that passed away a few years ago. On what would have been his 100th birthday a week or two ago I found out from my cousins he had all his grand kids believing he cracked the Liberty Bell!

Mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file