Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Type 3 MS68 Saints off market

wheatcentcollectorwheatcentcollector Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
edited July 28, 2021 6:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

There are currently four different dates of PCGS graded MS68 type 3 saints
1910-S
1925-S

They have been off the market for a long time. Does anyone have any insight they would like to share?

Comments

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 2:33PM

The best I could suggest is that they are "locked up" in registry sets. A 25-S in 65 ($288K APR)) is likely worth more than the others combined in 68. This dinosaur hopes so.

Why haven't they appeared lately. I'm guessing none of their owners have died. o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the same person

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    My guess is the black hole called PEC (Prominent Eastern Collector) or Black Cat???
    Coins go in but they don't come out. :o

I hear of these people but I have no idea who they are.
    Maybe they are the same person?

Even Simpson doesn't have a 68 & he's the #1 top dog here in saints.

This is the only one of the 4 I can find and it sure looks nice!

That is an incredible example!

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

When I was on the East coast... I wondered into a doctors house as a tag along. The gentleman was very quirky. He had a vault built into his house and inside said vault was some amazing things. It was funny because the dealer I was with was trying to part with a very nice piece of proof gold and the kind doctor was pissed off as he did not consider proof coins to be coins... His collection had no proof coinage. It was one of the more surreal experiences I had. Cannot speak to the 4 68's but I can sure this is one of the strongest hand collections I have ever seen. This was 13 years ago but last I heard he was still active... still half crazy. LOL.. I met a few wild ones while out there... Just late night rambling...

• Options
    edited July 29, 2021 3:59PM

The same quirky black-and-white chasm he saw between business strikes and proofs surely resulted, in slightly altered form, in an exquisitely-curated collection of rare and high-grade business-strike gold and other sweets.

As Dave Akers once said to me as Ed Trompeter was leaving his table "Are we supposed to tell a guy with the biggest collection of proof gold ever that he's the King of the No-Brainers?". That might have been said by your quirkoid guy himself.

FWIW, you'll find many more proof gold coins, and least one MS63 '33 $10 IIRC PCGS MS62 (net), that Ed personally "de-originalized" by immersing them in freon. Ed "murdered" (per DWA) fewer coins than NCS and a lot more coins than Farouk, whom I believe to be guilty mostly of lacking a good press-agent. My source: Mike Kliman, who attended the sale with Abe Kossoff, his father-in-law, as his numismatic mentee and as a note-carrying go-fer in rigging it. In 1973, Abe was the first dealer to introduce me to coin doctoring.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

When non collectors ask why anyone in their right mind would ever want to be a coin collector [so.........., so.........., very nerdy], the best response I can think if would be to show them an enlarged True View photo of the MS 68 1924 Double Eagle posted by Asheland (better yet give them the actual coin to look at through a 10x loupe under optimal lighting) and simply say:

"This is why."

:)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    When non collectors ask why anyone in their right mind would ever want to be a coin collector [so.........., so.........., very nerdy], the best response I can think if would be to show them an enlarged True View photo of the MS 68 1924 Double Eagle posted by Asheland (better yet give them the actual coin to look at through a 10x loupe under optimal lighting) and simply say:

"This is why."

I think the coin looks stunning in the photo, but I can't see many non-collectors being swayed by its appearance. On the contrary, I think a much greater number would be more impressed by a bright, color-free example.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 29, 2021 4:35PM

@MFeld said:

@SanctionII said:

"This is why."

I think the coin looks stunning in the photo, but I can't see many non-collectors being swayed by its appearance. On the contrary, I think a much greater number would be more impressed by a bright, color-free example.

The 68 coin might have been a little farther back in the sock drawer than the first one.

The first one?

Ma'am, I see you scrubbed some dirt off of this.
    Yes, ma'am, it would indeed make a nice piece of jewelry !
    And you have another? Just wrap it up in tissue like this one and bring it in. No scrubbing yet, promise? :)
    Ma'am, some people like yellow cars and a few others might just like red ones more.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2021 9:08PM

I have owned for a while two PCGS MS-67 Saints. One is a 1924 and the other a 1928. Both are CAC stickered. One of them is in the OGH slab. I tried to locate one PCGS MS-68 that I might have liked better than the two 67 I already had but did not find one that I liked any more than what I already owned.

A few years later CAC seemed to agree with my thinking as they did not sticker any of the 4 PCGS w/m MS-68 Saints.

I admit I never even got to see a MS-69 Saint but quite frankly I cannot tell the difference between an MS-68 and a MS-69.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file