Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Encapsulates Legendary 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle

The 1933 Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, which broke an all-time record in June 2021 as the most expensive coin ever traded in public auction, was recently encapsulated by PCGS.

The coin was submitted by GreatCollections Coin Auctions, one of the world’s leading auction houses for certified rare coins and banknotes. The Orange County, California, firm plans to display the rarity at the upcoming ANA World’s Fair of Money® in Chicago, Illinois, on behalf of the anonymous owner.

GreatCollections President Ian Russell spoke of the submission to PCGS. “We have likely submitted 500,000+ coins to PCGS over the past 10 years, but the standalone highlight was this 1933 $20. It is the pinnacle of numismatics, and we are grateful to the owner for entrusting it with us.”

See the full release here: https://www.pcgs.com/news/legendary-1933-saint-gaudens-double-eagle

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, quite surprising the owner went through GC to get it slabbed. But it has found it’s home. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to view a ‘33 double eagle in person…

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the same.

Collector?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. And they are selling a coin that I didn’t think would be sold. Odds on that’s why

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 4:04PM

The article suggests the coin will not be sold anytime soon.
    It looks more like Ian is acting as an agent for the owner, so it can be displayed but the owner can stay anonymous.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 64 at best. 65 seems like a bit of added fluff now lets wait for the stupid cac sticker results. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the stupid sticker thing right IMO.

@yosclimber said:
    It looks more like Ian is acting as an agent for the owner, so it can be displayed but the owner can stay anonymous.

Not what I meant. I’d wager I know who the 1933 buyer is.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I had read that Farouk was notorious for cleaning his coins. Looks like this one was spared that fate.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Wow, quite surprising the owner went through GC to get it slabbed. But it has found it’s home. Hopefully one day I’ll be able to view a ‘33 double eagle in person…

I thought it would be cool to see one as well. The Smithsonian coin was in a display at the 2005 ANA (I think it was this one). The coin was so ho-hum compared to the high relief and the 1849. I know the "date" is special, but the coins do not really seem to be.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    I thought I had read that Farouk was notorious for cleaning his coins. Looks like this one was spared that fate.

I’ve read theories that the Farouk coin was swapped out with another. But lots of intrigue is wrapped up with the ‘33s…

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

People wiser than I have told me that the reports that Farouk cleaned everything are greatly exaggerated. Some pieces yes, but not everything.
    It is possible that the story was started by somebody who wanted participation in the Farouk sale minimized.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    edited July 27, 2021 5:05PM

@yosclimber said:

>

@tradedollarnut said:

>

@tradedollarnut said:
    Interesting. And they are selling a coin that I didn’t think would be sold. Odds on that’s why

I'm confused.

looks like the first quote of yours indicates "selling"

what's going on?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 5:06PM

Things like this are why owners should add their initials to the coin, like they did for the stamp ;)

jk. Great coin! Nice to see it fully protected and guaranteed!

@MsMorrisine said:

@yosclimber said:

>

@tradedollarnut said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm confused.

what's going on?

I recently learned that Greatcollections is currently selling a coin that is quite surprising to me that it’s being sold. I know who the buyer was [a huge customer of theirs] and thought it was in strong hands. Now this announcement. Sometimes 2+2=4. Hmmmm.

edited July 27, 2021 5:09PM

@tradedollarnut said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@yosclimber said:

>

@tradedollarnut said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm confused.

what's going on?

I recently learned that Greatcollections is currently selling a coin that is quite surprising to me that it’s being sold. I know who the buyer was [a huge customer of theirs] and thought it was in strong hands. Now this announcement. Sometimes 2+2=4. Hmmmm.

Is the owner a coin collector then?

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing coin. Glad to see it got the CAC green bean.

@ianrussell said:

That is correct. The owner is kindly allowing us to display at the ANA, so everyone can see the coin.

any ANA PR coming?

edited July 27, 2021 5:54PM

It would be nice if the slab insert said the following :)

The King of Coins
    King Farouk

Of course, one could then wonder, what or who is the King of Coins, the 1933 Double Eagle or Farouk ;)

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@yosclimber said:

>

@tradedollarnut said:

@tradedollarnut said:

I'm confused.

what's going on?

Is the owner a coin collector then?

If I’m correct, yes he is.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much rent are you paying to display that treasure? >:)

@ianrussell said:

@yosclimber said:

That is correct. The owner is kindly allowing us to display at the ANA, so everyone can see the coin.

• Ian
  • ByersByers Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Ian. Great publicity for you and GC, for PCGS, for the new owner, and for the coin.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Ian!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 7:16PM

@CaptHenway said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:

People wiser than I have told me that the reports that Farouk cleaned everything are greatly exaggerated. Some pieces yes, but not everything.
    It is possible that the story was started by somebody who wanted participation in the Farouk sale minimized.

100% on the money. I got the story from one of my early mentors, Mike Kliman, who attended the sale with Abe Kossoff, his father-in-law. And the intended result was achieved. The whole sale was rigged by the bidders. Because of their fears that the new Egyptian government might be bugging their rooms, they moved their discussions about carving up the next day's sessions from hotel room to hotel room each night.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A unique specimen indeed. The date and history make it special, though the grade is not exceptional. Cheers, RickO

• rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Things like this are why owners should add their initials to the coin, like they did for the stamp ;)

jk. Great coin! Nice to see it fully protected and guaranteed!

Very beautiful and special coin to our hobby!
    Glad to see it in a much more flattering photograph.

Looking forward to seeing it in Chicago!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking in the slab. Nice luster and eye appeal.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@ianrussell said:

any ANA PR coming?

Yes, it was e-mailed out yesterday.

Here is a link to it:
    https://f.hubspotusercontent30.net/hubfs/6180285/Press%20Release%20-%201933%20Double%20Eagle%20WFM.pdf

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool story! Congrats to the new owner.

That knee could use a band aid.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    A unique specimen indeed. The date and history make it special, though the grade is not exceptional. Cheers, RickO

Historic coin. The grade is a gift.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file