Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should auction houses photograph envelopes?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 27, 2021 5:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've been getting and enjoying old envelopes with PCGS and ATS encapsulated pieces.

A lot of the time, it has very interesting provenance information on them, sometimes not mentioned in the auction lot description.

This is done on eBay quite often.

Should auction houses post photos of envelopes, front and back?

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I've been getting and enjoying old envelopes with PCGS and ATS encapsulated pieces.

A lot of the time, it has very interesting provenance information on them, sometimes not mentioned in the auction lot description.

This is done on eBay quite often,.

I don't think they will since it's impossible to prove that an envelope went with a specific coin. Do they ever sell a raw coin with a pic of the slab insert that was originally with the coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 4:38AM

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

I don't think they will since it's impossible to prove that an envelope went with a specific coin. Do they ever sell a raw coin with a pic of the slab insert that was originally with the coin?

"went with a specific coin" could just mean it was delivered as part of the lot, which they are today.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that extraneous material or exonumia has a following among collectors. However, not something that interests me. Also, just another uncontrolled area that would be easy to fake.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Sometimes they do.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only with famous collections to help document provenance.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they do it when they have a reasonable certainty that the envelope is accurate. I have been seeing more
    come to auction but more so mentioning the original notes and envelope is include.
    To me this is crucial and I will give an example in a few days why. Not from an auction house, rather Ebay like you said.
    Even though I read the envelope that was posted in the Ebay auction I contacted the seller and asked him if the pics and envelope really went together. He verified it for me. .......The rest for another post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file