Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

SELLING THE FAMILY COIN COLLECTION

I inherited a lot of "Old Rattler" PCGS US coins that were graded about 45 years ago. I sold about 35k worth of middle value coins {$500 to $1200] to Stack's Bowers a few years ago. And I currently sell lower value coins {$70 to $150} on Amazon. I sent 30 higher value coins [gold eagles and double eagles] to PCGS last month to be re-graded and most were graded higher. I expect to sell those at auction with Heritage. Those coins are currently viewable in my Set Registry with PCGS.
I now realize that the Stack's Bowers expert recognized that they could make a tidy profit when they had some of those coins re-graded. Fine.
I wish to maximize my revenue. My concern is: What should I do about my lower rated coins, primarily 100 silver dollars and 50¢ Walking Liberties. The coins are all rated PCGS MS-63, 64 and 65 and many could be re-graded higher. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    blaircountycoinblaircountycoin Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

You have arrived. Now we just need pictures and prices. Thousands and thousands of buyers.

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

What’s the name on your set registry so we can look at what you have for double eagles?

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll get a better response putting this thread on the US Coin forum and showing at least a few sample photos (unless you just want to list coins and prices, in which case, do so here).

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

Thank you for your responses. I see I have four comments and three messages. Let me respond to the comments first.

blaircountycoin: To be honest, until your comment I was not aware that this community traded coins. I currently have about fifty coins for sale on Amazon and many more that are not. I do not know how time consuming it is to post coins on this website, but I may check into that later. My larger issue is that probably most of my coins would grade higher if I had them re-graded.

Dscoin: That was a very helpful question. I set up my set registry earlier this month and had not received any comments. I called PCGS today and they revealed that viewers were not authorized to email me. I was told that has been corrected. The name of my set registry [I was told] is "vbdoug". If you have any related issues please advise.

airplanenut: I see that forum has a lot more followers and perhaps I shall do that. But again, my larger concern is that probably most of my coins would grade higher if I had them re-graded. As it is, I am not sure if this trading site compares favorably to Amazon.

Sonorandesertrat: If not an auction house, where? I do not want to use eBay or Amazon for valuable coins. My problem is that I have [less valuable] coins that are under-graded, and it seems a shame to sell them for less than they are worth. I just sold three inexpensive coins [$95 for Morgans] to a buyer in Texas who had all ready purchased 6 coins earlier. But the general purchaser on Amazon has no way of knowing the true condition of my coins.

Now for the messages

• Options
    Nederveit2Nederveit2 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Have you considered sending your under-graded coins to CAC? If they all get yellow beans, then they could be worth more on the market than in new slabs with a better grade, and it's a cheaper and faster route.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any Franklin halves in rattlers?

• Options

Nederveit2: I looked up CAC. They charge $14.50 per coin and perhaps other ancillary costs. I am assuming that by yellow beans you mean under-graded coins. Thanks, but at this time I think I will pass.

FranklinHalfAddict: All my coins are in rattlers.

Thanks again for all responses.

• Options
    DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

@pvdoug said:
    Nederveit2: I looked up CAC. They charge $14.50 per coin and perhaps other ancillary costs. I am assuming that by yellow beans you mean under-graded coins. Thanks, but at this time I think I will pass.

FranklinHalfAddict: All my coins are in rattlers.

Thanks again for all responses.

They only charge you if your coin passes and gets the bean. With that sticker on your coin it is possible to get 50% more out of the sale of your coin. It is well worth it but it is up to you. If you have more questions please let me know but CAC is the leading authority in quality coins and people pay a steep premium for their opinion.
    Take care
    Dave

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• Options

Good to know.
    Thank you again.
    Doug

• Options

It has been an interesting couple of days on this forum. I have received a number of offers to buy whole groups of coins but am not nearly familiar as to how that would work. Later I may be, but not now.

This is what I have in my collection:
    27 50¢ walking liberties
    74 silver dollars
    30 eagles and double eagles currently on my set registry with PCGS
    14 50¢ San Diego Commemorative coins
    And a few more.

I need to make a correction. I sent an email to a member of this forum with a description of my 27 walking liberties and this is the response I received:
    "Just to follow up the first photo has 3 rattlers and those are the only rattlers. The 41, 41-d, and the 44-d.
    In the 2nd image there are 2 of the older holders PCGS 2.1s the 44-s and 45. Those holders do carry a little premium. The rest are OGH and while they are a little more desirable they Aldo not carry the same premiums that the rattlerals, doilies (non in your images), or the 2.1s. The rest of your holders are PCGD 3.0 or higher. Please see the link to confirm what I am saying".

I believe nearly all of my other coins [except for the 50¢ commemoratives, which are in a safety deposit box and not currently viewable] are old rattler, but obviously I need to do some more research. Any messages I received today should be answered tomorrow.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nederveit2 said:
    Have you considered sending your under-graded coins to CAC? If they all get yellow beans, then they could be worth more on the market than in new slabs with a better grade, and it's a cheaper and faster route.

This is a bit of a controversial area on the boards but if you think your coins are undergraded then send your coins to CAC first and resubmit every stickered coin (green or gold) to a TPG if there’s a big enough price spread between grades. If the spread is big enough you don’t have to be successful very often to show a profit. Keep in mind that plenty of coins upgrade without stickers but this is a nice filter to decrease the number of your submissions. I know several people who do this.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I, for one, am excited to learn about your collection and to hear how someone has obtained an old time collection. Numismatically knowing someone took the time to collect and be a custodian of a wonderful collection is neat. For your inheritance, I can empathize with your situation. True collector friends and word of mouth also has value. I will direct a couple of friends to your discussion thread here. Perhaps with a broadening communication share of your need, maybe other ideas can surface.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never sold through GreatCollections but I do buy from there. They seem to come with a good recommendation as a good auction house to sell coins at all value levels. Might be a place to look into.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of great advice here!!!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2021 12:19AM

GreatCollections is a great place to consider for the balance of the types of coins you have in older holders. They have a great following for the coins you have. I would not use Heritage. Personally I would send all to CAC first.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......