Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Errors in my change bucket.

Slapdoodle19Slapdoodle19 Posts: 12
edited July 25, 2021 10:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hello everyone. 👋
Recently introduced into looking at my coins a little closer and to my surprise, I found more errors than expected. Help me with how common or how rare and/or valuable these are.

Photos taken using 10x loupe under phone camera. 👍

This first one is a 2000-D Lincoln cent with what appears to be a cracked die on the reverse, center of the 'O' in One. It's so small it takes two pictures to show i

1993 , another die crack, but more interesting and a bit more prominent.

This one I'll need help with, it's gotta a funky rim job that makes me look twice. 2000-P

This one speaks for itself, 2001-P

This next one was in search of bold detailed feathers. Looked at the four I have and one is different. Doubled lettering on the reverse? Sacagawea 2000-P.

Looks like it's doubled inlign with the previous but left so fat squeezed out.

Let me know what you think. Do you come across any of these often? I've got some older coins worth grading but are errors worth the grade or better off raw?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job of spotting differences on your coins & great job with the photos too. :)

First coin appears to be a plating bubble in the O.
    Second coin the 1993 is a die crack.
    Third coin looks like mechanical or ejection doubling on the rim.
    The fourth coin "speaks for itself" as you mentioned. Nice die chip. ;)
    The fifth coin looks like die erosion doubling.

All are common and don't add a premium but are great learning examples.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the assessment provided by @ifthevamzarockin. Good coins for your 'education' collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Awesome. Thanks.

This one is showing the 9 filled in and something else going on with the letting. Not sure if doubled or something else is.

This one also has the same thing going on with its lettering.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 9 is caused by a minor die break. The lettering is caused by the plating being moved or something like that. It’s fairly typical. You can see more dramatic versions of it on off-center zinc Lincoln cents.

Note the reverse USA text here:

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1994 cent has a die chip in the 9, the silver next to the letters is the zinc core showing thru. This is known as split plate doubling, it is not really any doubling of the letters as the name might imply. During the striking process the copper plating was stretched and split apart as the letters were formed which causes that silver ghosting you see. All very common and neither has an numismatic premium.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2021 12:03PM

Good for you! That's some effort to go through a change bucket. I don't even have the time to check for a W mm on the new "Great American Coin Hunt" quarters in my pocket before I throw them in the bucket. :smile:

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pics of your finds :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

1911 Barber quarter with a C? Or an awkward die -D?

Rippled 1910 wheat penny.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

The barber looks to me like a damaged S.

The cent might be a worn lamination.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1911 S Barber quarter is just a hit on the MM, however, it is a lower mintage of 988,000.

I think the wheatie is just post mint damage.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file