Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANOTHER Missouri Numismatic Society Show Report

Dug13Dug13 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

Drove up from down state Thursday afternoon, about a 2 hour drive. Arrived a little after 2:00 on opening day. I had heard the tables were sold out, 180 tables. I knew everyone was anxious to get back in the full swing of things. (They held shows last year with plenty of precautions in place, but was not fully attended). I went on opening day hoping to get first choice of my want list, as I entered the Bourse it was surprisingly active. After making my rounds, I soon discovered it was mostly dealers to dealers transactions, trying to refill their inventory. Ran into many dealers without tables, there to buy, buy buy, all hungry for more coins for their customers. A lot dealers were firm on their better grade coins, due to they said they can not find replacements. Stayed about 3 hours, wife was getting hunger......time to leave.
Headed back first thing Friday morning, atmosphere was a bit more relaxed, by 2:00 I had spoken with about dozen dealers, all reported they were having a good to great show.
I took a break late afternoon, went back to hotel and took a power nap. Needed to get a little rest before the auction at 6:00 Friday night.
The auction was long......over 1000 items up for grabs. Almost all items going above catalog estimates. I had 5 coins in the auction, 3 went above catalog listing estimates.
The big, big action of the evening was the Proof Philippines coins. What a suprise to everyone there!
Over 25 different lots available, all went for amazing prices. Just a few examples:
Lot 156: $1300-$1500 est = realized $5,000.00
Lot 157: $725-$825 est = realized $2,500.00
Lot 158: $350-$425 est = realized $1,100.00
Lot 159: $600-$800 est = realized $1,200.00
Lot 160: $700-$800 est = realized $1,900.00
The rest of the lots all had similar results.

If you have any Proof Phillippines.......must be a great time to sell!

By 10:30, they were on lot 700. I was ready to call it a day.

When it all was said and done, I picked up 2 coins at the Bourse and 1 at the auction.
Will be headed back up in November to do it all again.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report from the "Show Me" state Show. Next, "show" some pics! :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a link to the auction you mentioned

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thank you for posting it.

Couldn't get to the show but did buy one lot at the auction.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 9:11PM

I bid via phone, and got both lots I wanted:

1. 1921 SLQ MS65FH PCGS w/CAC (CAC Pop = 11). Yes, a little carbon, but in my opinion the strong strike (not only the Head, but the Shield details too) and blazing luster outweigh the carbon, since most SLQ’s have one problem or another. A photo of this coin from a Heritage auction in 2006 show the carbon spots as identical to now, so apparently they’re stable. The first digit "1" is notoriously absent on most 1921's, as the dies simply never brought that digit up to comparatively good relief.
    2. 1923 SLQ MS64FH PCGS w/CAC (CAC Pop = 5).

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report. Interesting about the dealer to dealer business. Always a part of shows, but based on your observations, it was more active than usual. Seems the dealers inventory was seriously depleted during the shutdown.... Must have been a lot of 'online' business. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting, sounds like it was a great show!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file