Home U.S. Coin Forum

19th Century Advertising

BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few of mine. What do you have?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 8:42AM

I enjoy studying counterstamped coins. These circulated as cheaply made storecards, and frequently used Spanish colonial silver coins (right up to the eve of the Civil War). Here is one of mine:

Brunk-1025. Host: 1779 Mexico 2 Reales. This is a fairly common counterstamp. Bradley was active in the 1850s.

A number of merchants, active in the pre-Civil War era, seem to have chosen Spanish colonial coins as the host coins for their advertising. Possible reasons are that these silver coins stuck out in circulating change, or because the merchants bought well-worn Spanish colonial silver coins at a discount.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another, using an 1812 large cent (S-288) as the host. Brunk J-53 (this coin).

This mark was that of a Boston ambrotypist active in the 1850s, easily identified from contemporary advertisements, broadsides (like this one in the Library of Congress), trade cards, and even surviving images from the studio.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find counterstamped coins interesting, but have never collected them. Cheers, RickO

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some counterstamped double dimes.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file