Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins on Coins

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though I've never pursued it, I always thought a neat collection would be "Coins With Coins". There is a surprising number of them when you start looking. If I had one, my collection would include U. S. coins, U. S. Mint Medals, Dark Side coins, and maybe even some Currency.

Here is one of my favorites because of the beautiful contrast between the field and Continental $ on the proof version.

Let's see how many different we can post.

Comments

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Here’s one from a long ago visit to the Denver mint

Good one!!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, but the Continental “Dollar” is not a coin!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you considering just coins featuring a different existing coin, or countermarked pieces where one country usurped the issue from a different country? If the latter, you open yourself up to many interesting Latin American issues from the mid/late 1800s into the early 1900s.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Note the obverse mint mark on the 1932 Quarter!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:

Educate me. Explain please.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always wanted one of these. FR263R

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

Always wanted one of these. FR263R

Here's a little trivia---This is the first time "In God We Trust" appeared on US paper money.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@MWallace said:

@CaptHenway said:

Me as well. I'll bring an apple for the teacher.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

Is it an “s”?

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

They fixed that on the silver version of the medal.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you guys. How cool I always liked that coin and now a little rarity (oh I know it’s not valuable but as with many of my brass bronze etc coins they usually tell a story). 😊

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would would be fun to put together!

• Options

@MWallace said:

@CaptHenway said:

There is a preponderance of evidence that the piece is a souvenir medal sold in England for six pence each around or shortly after the 1783 treaty that ended the Revolutionary War and established America as an independent country. America never authorized it as a coin.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That could start a lively debate from what I've read!

@CaptHenway said:

@MWallace said:

@CaptHenway said:

There is a preponderance of evidence that the piece is a souvenir medal sold in England for six pence each around or shortly after the 1783 treaty that ended the Revolutionary War and established America as an independent country. America never authorized it as a coin.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2021 2:13PM

@CaptHenway said:

@MWallace said:

@CaptHenway said:

Thank you Tom. You jogged my memory that I have read that before but I had forgotten.

• Options

Thank you @CaptHenway

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a Papal States coin

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

Tagging on to and old post. I recently found the 1992 U.S. Mint Bicentennial medal in an antiqued finish rather than the standard lacquered bronze. These were given to mint employees according to the accompanying certificate. At the same time the mint was striking other medals in this finish including the Pearl Harbor Survivors Medal, the Persian Gulf Medal and the Colin Powell medal only in the two medal set including the Persian Gulf Medal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file