Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2006 P dime clad layer damage or error? Also some really cool MD on an 82 penny.

Found this 2006 with what looks like a piece of the clad layer missing. I see no real damage to the area, so I was wondering if it’s PMD or an error.

Also this has got to be one of my favs for MD I have found. It’s a 1982 P with doubling on the reverse, I know it’s not the DDR but it resembles it closely. Definitely a keeper for my reference collection.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice photos of the 1982 and great job recognizing the MD. ;)

The dime could be a piece of missing clad or it could be struck-thru a copper fragment or it could be something else. ;)
    Your photo is great but a better photo of the area in question would help.
    My dumb guess would be struck-thru a retained copper fragment.

• Options
    DstnfxDstnfx Posts: 53 ✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin sorry for the delay here are a couple close ups.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those second pictures are very good.... and it looks like a small delamination occurred. It appears to have a small rim along the top and the bottom portion shows a further crack along the edge of the delamination. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko thanks for the explanation, I saw the crack but didn’t think of delamination.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 6:40AM

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the additional photos. ;)

It appears in the photos to be flush with the surface of the coin. It could still be some type of planchet flaw but I am going to stay with my first dumb guess of retained copper fragment. It is unusual with the amount of circulation that a retained fragment would not have fallen off. Maybe @FredWeinberg has an answer for us.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning – I call it more of a copper flake – not a fragment – not that unusual except that it’s centered nicely on the coinAnd a bit larger than most

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

@ifthevamzarockin @FredWeinberg thats cool I didn’t know something like that happens. It’s the first time I’ve seen something like this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file