Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Missouri Numismatic Society Show Report

goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I left home early Wednesday morning for the long drive to St. Charles, Missouri. I stopped at the first Hardee's , that I went past ,for a drive thru breakfast. Along the way the odometer rolled over to 77777. I hoped that would be lucky. After a few rest stops and a stop for gas I arrived in the St. Charles area by late afternoon. The show was set to open Thursday at noon. Since it was such a late opening I decided to forgo the hotel breakfast in a bag and instead stop by a Chinese buffet for an early lunch.

The MNS show is held at the St. Charles Convention Center. There is an Embassy Suites Hotel attached. It is a very nice venue with plenty of free parking.

I arrived at the show at 11:45 and registered for my name tag. There was a large crowd at opening time and the registration line did not clear until 1PM. This time , to change things up , instead of entering the bourse and turning left or right I decided to go straight up a center aisle. I quickly saw a coin that I needed but the dealer was not at the table. I continued around the floor but kept an eye on his table. He soon returned to his table and so did I. After a short negotiation the coin was mine. There were a lot of quality slabbed coins on the bourse floor. I saw a beautiful 1801 $10 in PCGS AU-58+. Wow , I wish that I could own that one!

I saw one ounce silver bars priced at $30 and I also saw a group of nice circulated Morgans dated 1904 and earlier for $32. One dealer had dozens of $500 and $1000 bills. A lot of them were Unc! The floor was very crowded and it looked like a lot of business was being done. I made a few more purchases during the next several hours. I left the show in the late afternoon.

On Saturday morning I drove about 20 minutes and had a late breakfast with my cousin and her husband. Good food and good conversation. After breakfast I drove 2 hours to visit another cousin ( the brother of the cousin that I ate breakfast with ) and his wife. They live on a farm. I always enjoy visiting them on the farm. It is such a nice change of pace from city living.

I headed for home Saturday morning. After numerous delays due to interstate construction, a trailer that had caught fire, a three car wreck and a very hard downpour I arrived at home at 5PM.

I had a great time at the show!

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, Ya only live once! That 1801 $10 would go well in your set!

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The large number of $500 & $1000 bills available is not surprising. When I was heavily involved in paper money collecting back in the early 1990's I recall a major paper money dealer saying that such bills were available in abundance. All you needed was the money to buy them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report. Sounds as if it was very busy - which seems to be the way of most shows now that they are occurring again. Pent up need for socialization and coins....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Nice write up on your experience. Glad to hear things are picking up.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you had a good show. I thought about going on Saturday, but given that this show tends to be mostly played out by Saturday and that the COVID numbers are surging across the state thought it was not worth it. Maybe next year.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice show report, thanks for posting it. Glad your show was successful.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RYK said:
    Glad you had a good show. I thought about going on Saturday, but given that this show tends to be mostly played out by Saturday and that the COVID numbers are surging across the state thought it was not worth it. Maybe next year.

Don't forget the SLNA show in February right at the airport Hilton. The room is super tight but both the local & fly-in traffic always mean a good show for me - business-wise it's one of my favorite regionals.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file