Home U.S. Coin Forum

Whitman Publishing "Coin Hobby Starter Kit"

PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sister-in-law is visiting and brought along this 1960's coin collecting starter kit. Original parts remaining are the two Lincoln Cent folders (partially filled), the Jefferson Nickel Folder, and the Roosevelt Dime folder as well as the "Helps For Collectors" & "Checklist and Record Book". The Roosevelt Dime and Lincoln Cent Folder #2 show mintages only through 1962.

Comments

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, the 'sixties' was a different time, in relation to marketing expenses like advertising and shipping. I guess something like this was doable then.......Wouldn't it be nice if the hobby could be advanced in a manner like this today ?

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

I had the same Whitman Coin Starter Kit in a mid-1980s version.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is interesting. Would be a good marketing ploy for Whitman to give out such kits a large shows such as FUN, to promote the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the time this was originally sold coin collecting was a red hot hobby. Virtually every department store and five & dime store had a significant selection of coin folders, albums, books, and supplies. This was the golden age of collecting for everyman!

All glory is fleeting.
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started collecting in 1961 and in that era coin collecting certainly was wildly popular.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to go back to the 50s and 60s with what I know now. I believe it was a totally different time in collecting

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 338 ✭✭✭

@Kove said:
    I had the same Whitman Coin Starter Kit in a mid-1980s version.

So did i, got it for Christmas '88 or '89, can't remember which

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

After about 18 months of begging, I got the Sears starter kit for Christmas in in the early 70s when I was about 9 or 10. I still have the 10% clipped cent that was in the included roll of assorted cents. The coolest thing was a copy of Frank Spadone's Variety and Oddity of United States Coins. I read that thing until the binding fell apart. One of my favorite Christmas gifts (except for the bikes)

Member of the ANA since 1982

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file