Home Sports Talk
Options

Gotta love the meltdown at Dodger Stadium

The Dodgers (and their fans) are showing their true colors. During the last two games against the Giants, A) The Dodger Manager went ballistic as his team lost, B) The Dodger fans booed Kenley Jansen because they think he should never fail, C) Max Muncy was yelling at an umpire because he disagreed with a check-swing call [Muncy showed that he's a cry baby -- please act like Buster Posey, a true professional], D) and for the love of God, please Dodgers, please stop acting like "I'm the greatest" every time you're standing on second base after hitting a double [you know, patting their helmet, giving the "safe" sign, etc].

Comments

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or as they are known in L.A.,

The Doyers.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

"The Doyers." That's funny! Since I live on the east coast, I didn't know about that nickname.

Speaking of "funny", I caught the end of last night's Dodgers/Rockies game. Orel H (I like him) and the Dodger announcer simply didn't know what to say as the Dodgers imploded again.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@charliej2356 said:
    The Dodgers (and their fans) are showing their true colors. During the last two games against the Giants, A) The Dodger Manager went ballistic as his team lost, B) The Dodger fans booed Kenley Jansen because they think he should never fail, C) Max Muncy was yelling at an umpire because he disagreed with a check-swing call [Muncy showed that he's a cry baby -- please act like Buster Posey, a true professional], D) and for the love of God, please Dodgers, please stop acting like "I'm the greatest" every time you're standing on second base after hitting a double [you know, patting their helmet, giving the "safe" sign, etc].

I am a biased Dodger fan so will ignore A-C as you are a hater and that's fine but as to D - I dislike it as well and find it embarrassing as a fan but it seems like most teams do similar, no? I realize not every single player but I would say the vast majority so similar. It's like getting a first down in football and so many players do the big celebration. It's ridiculous!

• Options

Thanks for taking the time to comment, larryallen73 -- I appreciate your points of view -- and I believe we agree on most points. Since you asked "... most teams do similar, no?", I can honestly say I can't think of even one SF Giant who acts that way. Sure, Giant players smile and are happy when they do something significant -- but they always act in a professional manner. In contrast, I saw Trevor Bauer walk off the mound, put his hand behind his ear, and motion to the opposing crowd as he was walking to the dugout. Unprofessional and rude! Hard to feel sorry for Bauer's current legal troubles.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2021 11:55AM

................and for the love of God, please Dodgers, please stop acting like "I'm the greatest" every time you're standing on second base after hitting a double [you know, patting their helmet, giving the "safe" sign, etc].

Ever watch an NFL game? I'll start worrying about baseball players "patting their helmet" about the same time someone becomes concerned about the chest pounding theatrics NFL players go through after making a routine tackle etc......or after a touchdown the way the entire offense runs to the end zone and slides down in front of the camera and make complete fools of themselves? Like Larryallen 73 said, RIDICULOUS!

P.S. The funniest "Look at me I'm the greatest" moment I ever saw in person happened right in front of me at a Rams game a few years back. The runner began the high knee kick running routine and waving the ball in the air about 20 yards from the goal line. Then he jubilantly spiked the ball on the one yard line with no defender in sight. That was a hoot!

• Options

I understand your disdain for the antics of NFL players, Hydrant -- and I completely agree with you on that issue. However, MLB is a completely different sport, and has a distinctly different fan base. The Dodger players would find themselves to be much more likeable if they acted professionally, just like the Giant players do.

• Options

At another game that I attended, a defensive player so thrilled with himself about something he did that he was so busy pumping his fists in the air and pounding his chest that he didn't notice the fumbled ball at his feet. It was recovered by the offense........... My dream game would be a Super Bowl that gets decided on the last play because some knucklehead goes into premature celebration mode and misses the BIG PICTURE.

• Options

I hear ya, Hydrant -- there are definitely lots of knuckleheads in the NFL.

• Options

I don't "disdain" the antics of (some) NFL players. Silly and distracting is how I see it. Whatever. Anyway, my oldest son explained it to me this way; He said, " Those guys are basically young kids and being in the NFL and making that touchdown, etc. is the highlight of their life. Something they worked and dreamed about. Maybe that touchdown or interception will be the best memory they ever have when they are old men." So.....there is always two ways to look at anything. I think my son is right. But.....I still think it looks silly. But....they are just young men and young men do silly things when they are happy.

• Options

Great points, Hydrant. And I, too, think your son is right -- please thank him (for me) for his thoughts.

• Options

Several years ago a couple of Bay Area paramedics traveled 400 miles south to watch a Giants- Dodgers game. When the guys were walking back to their car, they got ambushed from behind by a couple of drunk Dodger fans. Guy when he fell, hit his head and went into a coma. Permanently brain damaged, fully disabled, didn't recognize his family.
    Ruined a life.
    Doyers=losers.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@streeter said:
    Several years ago a couple of Bay Area paramedics traveled 400 miles south to watch a Giants- Dodgers game. When the guys were walking back to their car, they got ambushed from behind by a couple of drunk Dodger fans. Guy when he fell, hit his head and went into a coma. Permanently brain damaged, fully disabled, didn't recognize his family.
    Ruined a life.
    Doyers=losers.

A horrible tragedy and no excuse for it. However, I know of one good friend who was sucker punched back in the day at Candlestick, for wearing a Dodger's jersey, and I would guess that is significantly more likely to happen up north than the opposite happening at Chavez Ravine... primarily due to how much more serious Nor Cal is about the "rivalry" than So Cal is. It's a big deal in Nor Cal and goes well beyond Dodgers v. Giants. It's not at all like that the other way around. #facts

• Options

There have always been fights at Giants Dodgers games. I go back 60 years and there has been some wild times.
    I don't recall your buddy making the news. Did your buddy lapse into a coma and have his and his family's life ruined? Then the barrio perps hid from the law until a huge reward smoked them out.

Dodgers game attendance is on par with the type of denizen's that inhabit the Raider games. Bangers.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Wow! I guess I'm lucky to be on the east coast where we've only got lunatics from New York, Philly, Boston ... :-)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 2:20PM

The Dodgers have the best team they can buy … except when it isn’t.

My least favorite baseball teams are the Yankees and the Dodgers in that order.

How is Mookie Betts these days? He’s probably getting tired from counting all of his money. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

BillJones for President! Seriously, I agree with all of your points.

My least favorite baseball teams are the Red Sox and the Dodgers in that order. [I have a soft spot in my heart for the Yankees, partly because they gave both Strawberry and Gooden a second chance at success in MLB.]