Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The United States Mint Combined release of Type 1 and Type 2 Bullion American Eagles...

cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

United States Mint to Release Limited Editions of New and Original Design American Eagle Bullion Coins to Authorized Purchasers

Marking the historic transition from the original American Eagle (AE) design to the release of enhanced redesigned AE silver and AE gold bullion coins, on August 9th the United States Mint will open sales of limited edition AE coins featuring a bullion finish to its network of authorized purchasers.

Specifically, the Mint will offer:

• a limited issue of 200,000 of the last production run of the original 1986 design AE silver bullion coins,
• a limited issue of 200,000 of the first production run of the enhanced redesigned 2021 AE silver bullion coins,
• a limited issue of 15,000 of the last production run of the 1986 design AE gold one oz. bullion coins, and
• a limited issue of 15,000 of the first production run of the enhanced redesigned 2021 AE Gold one oz. bullion coins.

These are bullion coins and, as such, will be sold through our network of Authorized Purchasers who resell the coins into the secondary market.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wheee!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:
    United States Mint to Release Limited Editions of New and Original Design American Eagle Bullion Coins to Authorized Purchasers

Marking the historic transition from the original American Eagle (AE) design to the release of enhanced redesigned AE silver and AE gold bullion coins, on August 9th the United States Mint will open sales of limited edition AE coins featuring a bullion finish to its network of authorized purchasers.

Specifically, the Mint will offer:

• a limited issue of 200,000 of the last production run of the original 1986 design AE silver bullion coins,
    • a limited issue of 200,000 of the first production run of the enhanced redesigned 2021 AE silver bullion coins,
    • a limited issue of 15,000 of the last production run of the 1986 design AE gold one oz. bullion coins, and
    • a limited issue of 15,000 of the first production run of the enhanced redesigned 2021 AE Gold one oz. bullion coins.

These are bullion coins and, as such, will be sold through our network of Authorized Purchasers who resell the coins into the secondary market.

This is interesting.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Are these "enhanced" new versions? I know there are enhanced proof, never on bullion, right?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

omg

sounds like a label collectors nightmare

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:
    Are these "enhanced" new versions? I know there are enhanced proof, never on bullion, right?

I do Not see it that way. I see 'enhanced' just meaning the changes to the obverse of the Type 2 American Gold Eagle and the Type 2 American Silver Eagle...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2021 3:16PM

They will likely in some way be eligible for a "first production" or "last production" labels but it remains to be seen what the requirements will be since these must first go through Authorized Purchasers and in many case get passed on again through retailers. Without being in some kind of sealed mint container it will be hard to prove provenance when submitting for grading. It may be that only APS will be able to submit for the special label by having them delivered directly from the mint to the TPG. Puts APMEX, one of the few AP retailers in the driver seat on these.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Considering the numbers how many APs will want to expend the effort?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will these be distinguishable from other bullion coins? :#

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like it'll be about a ten thousand dollar set.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 3:54PM

I am assuming 1 oz coins over 1/10 and 1 oz silver.

I’d guess the minimum retail would be just under $6,000

Then the label collectors will have to contend with a 500 mintage on Both the AGE and ASE

These could be $25,000 or higher sets, and I feel too low at $25,000 guesses

• Options

@JBK said:

they will look the same. Labels will set them apart.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 8:26PM

Coins are not being issued as a "set," simply individual coins. An enterprising AP might have the gold and silver graded in "first production" and "last production" two coin gold and silver sets.

Keep in mind the only thing that sets these apart from regular bullion coins is the proof to the TPG that they were in fact sold by the mint as first and last production coins. That is going to require some provenance from mint to TPG.

The remaining questions are:
    1. "do you really thing the mint had the foresight to set aside the first last (corrected) production T1 coins for this special issue later in the year?"
    2. "just how large is a "production run?"

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

As i read this, these are separate from the auction coins.

• Options

My mistake

• Options

For the initial 5 oz pucks many APs did bother.

Perhaps we’ll see a number of offerings.

=> how will the monster boxes be marked and will any be sold that way?

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 5:13PM

@JBK said:

Corrected to say: need plastic for all of them.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 5:12PM

@derryb said:
    Coins are not being issued as a "set," simply individual coins. An enterprising AP might have the gold and silver graded in "first production" and "last production" two coin gold and silver sets.

Keep in mind the only thing that sets these apart from regular bullion coins is the proof to the TPG that they were in fact sold by the mint as first and last production coins. That is going to require some provenance from mint to TPG.

1. "do you really thing the mint had the foresight to set aside the first production T1 coins for this special issue later in the year?"

Since bullion coins are struck right up til the end of the year the "last production" coins are likely not going to be available until after the new year.

These are type 2 not type 1. The type 1s are "last" not first.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The 1986 will be easy to tell due to the due differences. The others.. probably have to be in plastic.

Wouldn't you still need "plastic" to distinguish between the last run of the T1 AE, and those manufactured earlier in the year?

• Options

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The 1986 will be easy to tell due to the due differences. The others.. probably have to be in plastic.

Wouldn't you still need "plastic" to distinguish between the last run of the T1 AE, and those manufactured earlier in the year?

Probably. On 1st reading, I interpreted it to have the modified obverse but I think I misunderstood it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Probably. On 1st reading, I interpreted it to have the modified obverse but I think I misunderstood it.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. :)

• Options

@MetroD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. :)

Thanks for making me read it again. 🙂

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

Why trvst us would we lie to you 😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

1. "do you really thing the mint had the foresight to set aside the first production T1 coins for this special issue later in the year?"

Since bullion coins are struck right up til the end of the year the "last production" coins are likely not going to be available until after the new year.

These are type 2 not type 1. The type 1s are "last" not first.

The "last production" coins are T1's from the last production run of the old variety
    The "first production" coins are T2's from the first production run of the new variety

My bad, corrected:
    "do you really think the mint had the foresight to set aside the first last production T1 coins for this special issue later in the year?"

and, Since bullion coins are struck right up til the end of the year the "last production" coins are likely not going to be available until after the new year.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's on first?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2021 8:32PM

@JBK said:
    As i read this, these are separate from the auction coins.

Yes, first production (T2) and last production (T1) bullion coins will be sold to the APs as individuals T1 and T2 one ounce gold and silver eagles (four different individual coins)

T1 and T2 one ounce gold and silver bullion coins will be sold in 500 four-coin sets to the public via mint auction.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

These have absolutely no appeal to me as first/last coins.... I am sure that some collectors will want them. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Just noticed the first (T2) and last (T1) production runs of AE bullion available at APMEX.

Link

They are even offering a "Last Box Produced" designation for the T1 ASE version.

• Options

Or perhaps this is more to your pleasure:

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

So I do not understand can I buy these from the Mint on a certain date? You know they pick the date and WE ALL FIGHT to get one! I like that or is this exclusivly for the DEALERS to sell to you all? :*

• Options
    edited September 1, 2021 11:40AM

Look one post up. Exclusive

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

They have sold almost 23 million silver eagles so far this year. The most ever sold in the first 8 months.

You can buy a monster box of 500 Type 1 or 2 2021's, for $17,380 or basically $35 each if you want bullion, and that is even a bit high considering spot is under $25.

Why do people get excited so much that they pay $114.99 for one, or $229.98 for two of these in plastic?

Super limited, first, last, rare, exclusive, only a few hundred available at auction, bid them up, hurry get them now, before they are gone. LOL

• Options

Because there’s a market and a resale market. It’s the way of it 2021. Lots of new “investors “ “collectors “ I chuckle sometimes then I remember that you tube is educating them and google is there for fact check. Could explain all the new money 🤓🙀

• Options

@Coinnmore said:
    [...] can I buy these from the Mint on a certain date? [...]

No. These are bullion coins.

"The United States Mint does not sell its bullion coins directly to the public. Instead, we distribute the coins through a network of official distributors called “Authorized Purchasers” who, in turn, create a two-way market buying and selling to wholesalers, financial institutions, and other secondary retailers."
    Link

Note #1 - If you are interested, a list of the "authorized purchasers" can be viewed here.

Note #2 - The Mint is planning to auction some bullion later this year. Details about the 'D&D' set can be found here.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    or basically $35 each if you want bullion, and that is even a bit high considering spot is under $25.

even a lot way too high

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file